What Shapes Are In?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim Lawless

Grande Dame of the Brazilian Wax for Men and Women
Reaction score
Can anybody give some advice on nail shapes please? For example, what's 'in' at the moment? Are there any special rules to follow when achieving each shape, i.e. Oval: 2/3rds of the way up the sides, then shape into the middle in an arch (don't know if this is right). I'm never sure how to achieve each shape and it's all a bit hit and miss.

What ever suits the client best is always the shape to go for...............
Look at their hands and that will give you a clue!!!!

A bit like fashion, what looks great on a 20 year old may look pants on a 40 year old........
So what ever looks great on them is in!!!!!
Stilettos are still hot
Almond are always great
Square is still popular
HTH

Thanks so much for the prompt reply but my point is this: What is a stilleto/almond etc and how would I know how to do one? :green: Cheers, Kim

Almond is shaped like an almond lol...........
Stiletto is shaped like the heel. to a very sharp point...........
Take a tip cut off the edges, before L&P or Gel or Fabric# and shape to either one of them.............
Then overlay with whatever system you choose..
Have play, Marco even did a lipstick one.....brill design......it's like the top of a new lipstick, cut at a sharp angle on one side..............so it looks almost like an off centre triangle...........

HTH

Gonna have a play around with some tips. Thanks so much. Kim

Hi, i agree with Ruth, alot depends on the clients nail shape to bein with. I usually do a nice quite long almond shaped nail if someone has very square looking nails and wants them to look thinner. If they have narrower nails and want them to look a bit wider i usually square them off.

The client alot of the time knows what they want, if not i start by squaring off and then if they don't like that you can round off the edges. You can always start wide then gradually narrrow the shape and round off till client is happy.

Thats what i do, HTH:D

Kimmi Rocks said:
Can anybody give some advice on nail shapes please? For example, what's 'in' at the moment? Are there any special rules to follow when achieving each shape, i.e. Oval: 2/3rds of the way up the sides, then shape into the middle in an arch (don't know if this is right). I'm never sure how to achieve each shape and it's all a bit hit and miss.

There are techniques to getting perfect shape with different nail styles.

For instance ... with the square, square-round/soft square shape, the apex is in zone 2. Finishing to final shape and shine is not too exaggerated a movement.

With an oval shaped free edge such as almond/stilleto shape the apex is placed a little higher say in zone 2and a half, otherwise a beautiful true oval shape is not acheived. When finishing to final shape and shine, with oval-type shapes, it is more necessary than ever to really use your abrasives in a curved motion ... going with the shape you have acheived (hopefully)with your brush. Even as you come off the free edge with your buffers, you need to stroke in a curved downward angletoget perfection. Exaggerated movements that 'swerve with the curve'!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back