What should I be taking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerinse

Reaction score
My salon is run just by me, I've worked out I need to take £710 a week to pay off capital, take a wage and pay everything else before end of year but currently after 2 months I'm running at about 370-410 a week, I'd this good?

My salon is run just by me, I've worked out I need to take £710 a week to pay off capital, take a wage and pay everything else before end of year but currently after 2 months I'm running at about 370-410 a week, I'd this good?

How many days you doing hun? Hard to say as everyone is different! 2 or 3 of my younger girls average this and some seniors average
7/800. Mines usually in four figures, but that's a longstanding clientele built up over years!

I normally work on stylists taking 7/800 after 6 months. They generally average 1000/1200 after a year or so

I currently do six days, brand new salon very few clients to start but more being recommended and booking in, I'm slightly Pis+*~ off because my OH reckons I'll be shut by Christmas because my business isnt running at 70% after 2 months.

dunno if he's trying to scare me but he says do marketing and I do then says you've not done it right so me and a mate are sorting this now.

I normally work on stylists taking 7/800 after 6 months. They generally average 1000/1200 after a year or so

Is this because of client turn around. E.g length of weeks between appointments?

I currently do six days, brand new salon very few clients to start but more being recommended and booking in, I'm slightly Pis+*~ off because my OH reckons I'll be shut by Christmas because my business isnt running at 70% after 2 months.

dunno if he's trying to scare me but he says do marketing and I do then says you've not done it right so me and a mate are sorting this now.

Is the OH not helping out then?:( sometimes the slow confident build is the best! The tortoise and the hare!

He has his own business but says he won't do the day to day running of the salon, that's what I said but apparently I live in a fluffy nurtured hairdressers world!

He has his own business but says he won't do the day to day running of the salon, that's what I said but apparently I live in a fluffy nurtured hairdressers world!

I'm sure things will pick up!! We have noticed a real pattern with some stylist where the third week of the month is really slow, think its to do with people pay cycles! We are all skint towards the end of the month! Keep you chin up and keep positive hun. :) x

He's talking twaddle. Very few salons are paid for and in profit inside a year.

Can I suggest you do very long opening hours? I did 7 days a week for the first 5 years to get my salon firing on all cylinders.

I did think this, yes I'm currently open 9 till 6 mon-thurs 9-8 fri and 8-4 Saturday I'll start earlier and finish later most days, I have also noticed this 3rd quiet week too. I also tried saying I need a card machine ASAP because yes some people always buy salon haircare but for most it's an impulse buy and if the cant put it on their card they won't come back!!

I did think this, yes I'm currently open 9 till 6 mon-thurs 9-8 fri and 8-4 Saturday I'll start earlier and finish later most days, I have also noticed this 3rd quiet week too. I also tried saying I need a card machine ASAP because yes some people always buy salon haircare but for most it's an impulse buy and if the cant put it on their card they won't come back!!

Definitely need the card machine so you can up sell more easily! Those impulse purchases can really push up your clients average spend!! ;)

Definitely need the card machine so you can up sell more easily! Those impulse purchases can really push up your clients average spend!! ;)

Thank fudge!! Also am I making a mistake not having leaflets printed?

Again, I'm not a hairdresser so cannot comment on projected/satisfactory income levels, etc.

However, your BF is being very unfair with his discouragement! It is said the the first year usually results in a NET loss for a fledgling business, the second may break even and then the third may make a profit. As long as you realise this, then you should be ok.

Keep working on bringing in the new clients, selling-up to your existing ones and building up your base.

Definitely need the card machine so you can up sell more easily! Those impulse purchases can really push up your clients average spend!!

Couldn't agree more with this!

My hairdresser doesn't have one so if I decide to buy something, I need to run to the bank and then go back. Which makes me take the time to decide whether I really want the item or not...

I also think a website, if you don't already have one, could be a great tool. I'm the only one in my area with one and it really helps!

Thank fudge!! Also am I making a mistake not having leaflets printed?

What sort of leaflets babe? We have price lists available for people to take. We also get a lot of retail walk in trade and we include a £5 off voucher with every walk in purchase with a two month use by date. :)

Here's my thoughts.

Do you have a website? When I first opened, this carried my business through. Put full price list on it.

Faebook page also. Price lists for clients to take home with them, give every client a full price list. Take email addresses and set up a mailchimp account and email clients regularly (but not pestering!)

I hope you don't take this as the wrong way, I know you are v experienced, I'm just saying what worked for me in the beginning. X

What sort of leaflets babe? We have price lists available for people to take. We also get a lot of retail walk in trade and we include a £5 off voucher with every walk in purchase with a two month use by date. :)

He said basic ones I said price lists, I think I'll do price lists and like you said a voucher for walk ins, I really appreciate all your very helpful and supportive advice :) I feel a lot better about things! X

I also think with regards to your partner...people not in our business don't tend to "get it".... X

I also think with regards to your partner...people not in our business don't tend to "get it".... X

Couldn't agree more!! And blue you're very welcome! It's a whole new set of skills to learn running a new salon of your own, I'm still learning!! ;) x

Don't get me started on this! I said the same and I was told business is business! ARGH!!!! It's not when it comes to hairdressing!

Hey Blue.
Dont be dis heartened.
Youve been going only 2 months.When our salon opened first we would be sthere at 10 pm sometimes to build the salon.At the time i was a trainee and the only stylist was my boss.
Although paying out for a trainee is £100 a week out of your money it means you can book more people in and eventually the trainee can be applying colours so your income will go up.Maybe that could be a good idea when youve established yourself a bit.
We now have 4 of us and we are manic apart from the 3rd week like everyone else is saying.
When we have the quiet week we all panic thinking the bloody recession has finally got us!but the next week its all systems go go go!

I feel for you if your partners being a bit negative towards you in what your trying to achieve but when i get that kind of negativity it just makes me push it more!

Think of the self satisfaction you will get when your really up and running and established,you will be able to smile sweetly and know its working!

Dont fret,im sure you will build up.
If our stylists have a quietish fri/sat i whack a really good offer on our facebook page and state limited spaces and it works really well.
I put an offer on last fri/sat for one of our stylists and within an hour we had 4 bookings from it and another 3 the next day.Word then spreads quickly so maybe you could try that?

Deep breaths x

Latest posts

Back