What smells transport you back to childhood?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Fern

Reaction score
I've just polished my boys school shoes and every time I do it takes me straight back to Sunday evenings and watching my Dad while he polished our school shoes and eventually him teaching me how to do it.

I love it x

Anyone else got any smells that take them back to nice cosy childhood times?

Paste. It always reminds me of grade school...LOL! :)

Old Spice......snuggled in my daddy's lap
Gets me every time, when a client sits in my chair wearing it....lol

Last edited:
Old Holborn tobacco- reminds me of my Dad.

Tinsel and christmas trees takes me back to Grandma's house on Christmas day.

The smell of a real fire. Takes me right back to my gran's living room. The cosiest and most homely place EVER! And don't grannies spoil you rotten.:hug:

That woodchip stuff you get in some play areas and parks always does it for me!

Also, the beach smell. You know.. snady sea salty beachy smell.. I love that !

I love these type of smells that take you back :)

The smell of real christmas trees and mulled wine, my dad used to make it every christmas. Also the smell of haybarns and horses, we grew up in the country and I used to play in haybarns, and ride ponies on a saturday morning. This may seem realy wierd, but has anyone noticed how different areas of the country smell different, we used to go to my Grans in Oxfordshire every holiday and the general smell of the air around there reminds me of childhood, and the smell of home grown tomatoes, becuse my Gran used to grow them!x

This is lovely reading peoples different memories :)
reading about Old holborn reminded me of my Grandpa who always used to smoke a pipe - even now I love the smell of pipe smoke and am transported back to being a little girl and sitting on the sofa next to him while he puffed away :)

Lots of things but recently vicks vapour rub as i used to lie over my mums lap while she rubbed it on my back and chest when i had a cold before i went to bed she always had lovely hot hands and actually still does.Warm hands warm heart i think thats the saying :)
Oh and plimsoles.

The smell of coffee in a flask - reminds me of childhood Sundays watching my Dad's football team in Sunday league in muddy fields with wellies on.
As much as I probably disliked watching the football and standing outside for hours I loved (and still do) that feeling of a flask of hot drink in gloved hands.

I smelt it on Sunday accidentaly and then I saw this thread!!

My mums bedding. Whenever I wasn't well, I'd climb into my mum and dad's bed and fall right off to sleep. I seem to remember doing the same thing when I was a teenager and hungover LOL. They weren't in the bed at the time by the way. LOL xx

home made playdough. (infact any playdough!lol)

Love this smell and transports me back to when I was little:)

I love playdough smell too! Reminds me of when me n my sis were little and my mum used to put the coffee table in the middle of the living room in front of the telly and get all the playdough out, me n my sis used to dare eachother to eat it!! Lol

Palma violets always remind me of my mum who died when I was 8. I have this smell in a fragrance lamp in my beauty room. I find it very comforting and soothing.

Good thread............

Estee Lauder Youth Dew reminds me of my Mum when she was going to a dance with my Dad - it was her 'best' perfume.
Camphor (or moth balls) reminds me of my Italian auntie who stank of the stuff.
To this day I can't eat boiled cabbage as the smell still reminds me of school dinners.........Yeugh! :rolleyes:

Old ladies :eek::lol::lol:

reminds me of my nan :hug:

Red apple wreath yankee candle ..... but I have no idea why lol

tinsel! It reminds me of christmas when I was little. My mum would do a massive tree covered in it and tacky coloured baubles. I loved it

Real christmas tree - reminds me of being a kid every time,my dad never had a real one growing up as they could not afford one so he promised he would have a real one every year when he had kids,i am 25(the youngest)and still every year we go pick the tree together from the same place(the man is still there from my 1st year)i make a great big fuss about it being hugh & just right.LOVE IT X

Playdough as well reminds me of school.

This is probably a boys thing this, but on freezing cold winters mornings when I used to play Rubgy as a lad you used to rub something called Wintergreen all over your legs to warm you up. It wasnt even that nice a smell, it didn't work and it stung to buggery- but I smelled something like it the other day- and nearly burst into tears! :)

Latest posts

Back