What to do about clients whose natural nails don't adhere to any enhancements?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSmomof4

Tranquil Beauty SPS
Reaction score
Do some clients have natural nails that just won't adhere to product?
I have a client whose nails will not hold any type of enhancement.
She has fairly thick, strong natural nail plates (npp). She is a manager of a big chain farm supply store and has a plant nursery on the side. She is rough on her hands from planting, stocking products, and opening cardboard boxes.
I started with gel polish, which would chip and peel within days.
I then tried a hard gel overlay with gel polish....same results with the gel polish lifting from hard gel on the nnp.
I then tried a Polygel overlay with gel polish....the PG softened and peeled from the nnp.
I then tried the acrygel technique (flexible finely milled acrylic powder cured in gel polish base) with gel polish.....same results.
I then tried a traditional acrylic overlay with gel polish....moderately improved results.
I then tried silk wrap overlays with gel polish...the silk wraps with adhered polish lifted from the npp.
I then tried Dashing Diva nail guards with gel polish and again with the nail guards plus the acrygel technique....almost lasted two weeks.
The last thing that I have tried is Young Nails Slick Pour powder coating system. It is like a dip system but the powder is sprinkled over the resin on the nnp instead of dipping the nail. My client just contacted me to say that all free edges are chipping.
My bag of tricks is empty and I am at a loss.
I first perform a dry e-file mani to clean up cuticle tissue and the eponychium, then use a buffer to remove the shine from the nnp, then wipe with a cleanser/dehydrator to remove any residual dirt, bacteria or oils.
Any help would be so very greatly appreciated!!!

It sounds to me as if your client now needs to make some changes in how she treats her nails! You've tried a wide range of systems already and although you could keep going, trying even more in the hope of finding a magic solution, this would be at great expense to you and not at all necessary if all your other clients are getting good results. It sounds like this client is using her nails as tools and as we know, no nail system is designed to be used that way. Unless she changes her ways she can't possibly expect her nails to last, I think she has unrealistic expectations. It must be very frustrating for you going to all this effort (and expense if you have bought in different products especially!). I think you need to be politely firm with her and remind her of the aftercare advice for nail enhancements, i.e. Wearing gloves to do housework, gardening etc and avoiding nail contact with chemicals, not using her nails as tools and to apply cuticle oil regularly, come back regularly for infills/removals etc.

Have you tried a primer? Are all of your other nails lasting well?

Have you tried a primer? Are all of your other nails lasting well?
Yes, I have tried with and without Protein Bond by YounNails. I used CND acid free primer when I did the l&p acrylic overlays because I used CND products.
Most of my other clients have not had any issues. Some clients do have a few issues, but they have informed me that they too struggle keeping enhancements on.

My main question is this:
Have you all (nail techs) come across clients that simply can not keep any type of enhancement on their natural nails?

It sounds to me as if your client now needs to make some changes in how she treats her nails! You've tried a wide range of systems already and although you could keep going, trying even more in the hope of finding a magic solution, this would be at great expense to you and not at all necessary if all your other clients are getting good results. It sounds like this client is using her nails as tools and as we know, no nail system is designed to be used that way. Unless she changes her ways she can't possibly expect her nails to last, I think she has unrealistic expectations. It must be very frustrating for you going to all this effort (and expense if you have bought in different products especially!). I think you need to be politely firm with her and remind her of the aftercare advice for nail enhancements, i.e. Wearing gloves to do housework, gardening etc and avoiding nail contact with chemicals, not using her nails as tools and to apply cuticle oil regularly, come back regularly for infills/removals etc.
She has been so very appreciative of my efforts and realizes that with her current lifestyle (job and hobbies) that she just won't be able to keep her nails salon beautiful.
We have settled on doing her nails for special events only, knowing full well that they will only last for a short period.

She has been so very appreciative of my efforts and realizes that with her current lifestyle (job and hobbies) that she just won't be able to keep her nails salon beautiful.
We have settled on doing her nails for special events only, knowing full well that they will only last for a short period.
I'm pleased to hear she appreciates all you have done and understands it's not your fault. It sounds as if having her nails done for special occasions is probably the best idea. I had a client like this. She loved gardening and rarely wore gloves and also had horses. It's always disappointing though isn't it when we have to admit defeat?!

Yes, I have tried with and without Protein Bond by YounNails. I used CND acid free primer when I did the l&p acrylic overlays because I used CND products.
Most of my other clients have not had any issues. Some clients do have a few issues, but they have informed me that they too struggle keeping enhancements on.

My main question is this:
Have you all (nail techs) come across clients that simply can not keep any type of enhancement on their natural nails?

I haven't actually had clients of my own that can't keep any type of enhancement on but I have previously worked with 2 other ladies (not in nail related jobs) who said absolutely nothing would stay on their nails! One of them found spray tans also didn't last more than a day or 2 either, so it does sound like there are some people who just don't suit nail enhancements.

I'm pleased to hear she appreciates all you have done and understands it's not your fault. It sounds as if having her nails done for special occasions is probably the best idea. I had a client like this. She loved gardening and rarely wore gloves and also had horses. It's always disappointing though isn't it when we have to admit defeat?!
Yes, it truly is frustrating....not only to admit defeat for me as the nail tech, but for my client as well.
I have known her for 7 years and she is such a hard worker and rarely does anything for herself. (She also has horses.) That is why I tried so hard to keep her hands pretty and give her some pampering time every two weeks.
I know that she will be back for pedicures and special event nails, so it makes my efforts worthwhile.

I haven't actually had clients of my own that can't keep any type of enhancement on but I have previously worked with 2 other ladies (not in nail related jobs) who said absolutely nothing would stay on their nails! One of them found spray tans also didn't last more than a day or 2 either, so it does sound like there are some people who just don't suit nail enhancements.
Thank you for your response! I was wondering if there were more people out there like this.
When in nail school, an esthetician student would allow me to practice my gel polish services because hers would only last 24-36 hours before peeling. She said that she never got more than that with any nail covering. It worked for me because I ended up getting alot of practice (and services checked off) by doing her nails every other day.
I felt sad for her though because she would have to do her nails or have them done the day of special events just to make sure they lasted during the event.

Latest posts

Back