What to do about gel nails allergies/hema, etc?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katfin

Reaction score
Hi all, it’s been a while since I last posted as I had settled into using the gel bottle and had been relatively happy with this product and clients love getting 3 weeks wear. After all the recent information regarding people suffering with allergies due to high hema content I have become very worried. Having spoken direct to the gel bottle they state they can assure the products are safe to use.
I swapped from CND Shellac as I had a couple of vegan clients who when I asked at the time I wasn’t given a straight answer if they were tested on animals. Also I had some clients who just couldn’t keep Shellac on so The Gel Bottle seemed to fit my clients needs.
I’m now at the point of not knowing if to trust the gel bottle or if to buy in a new system, but it feels really overwhelming working out which product is going to work best.
Is anyone else going through the same thoughts?
Im currently trialing the Ikon Prima gel.

Hi all, it’s been a while since I last posted as I had settled into using the gel bottle and had been relatively happy with this product and clients love getting 3 weeks wear. After all the recent information regarding people suffering with allergies due to high hema content I have become very worried. Having spoken direct to the gel bottle they state they can assure the products are safe to use.
I swapped from CND Shellac as I had a couple of vegan clients who when I asked at the time I wasn’t given a straight answer if they were tested on animals. Also I had some clients who just couldn’t keep Shellac on so The Gel Bottle seemed to fit my clients needs.
I’m now at the point of not knowing if to trust the gel bottle or if to buy in a new system, but it feels really overwhelming working out which product is going to work best.

I am in the exact same position as you, the product had begun to lift on me and caused severe itching on my nail plate, spoke to someone else on here yesterday who gave me great advice for application which may also be the problem but after more research today and joining a great fb page about nail allergies I’m beginning to think it’s the HEMA that is causing the problem, i have also been a shellac girl for many a year it just frustrates me that it costs so much and the colour choice is nowhere near as good as ink or Gel in a bottle x

Also just to mention as well I have been using my CND lamp to cure ink which I’m thinking by reading in to it is also causing an allergie as it is under curing it as the other member on here mentioned to me xxx

Also just to mention as well I have been using my CND lamp to cure ink which I’m thinking by reading in to it is also causing an allergie as it is under curing it as the other member on here mentioned to me xxx

Thank you for replying. I too am on the allergy page on Facebook. I have the gel bottle lamp which I use to cure the gel bottle but reading into what people are saying that even the lamp may not be right for curing.

I have the Ink London in mind aswell, I have followed them for some time but ended up with the gel bottle and because it worked I didn’t need to look else where until now.

I feel over whelmed with it all. Part of me thinks would they be allowed to make claims it’s safe if it is not but then I can’t ignore all the comments either.

I think I would help if they made a statement to address the issues stated. X

I am literally in the same position as you lol, been debating over ink and gel in a bottle for a while, it is just a minefield trying to decide what to do for the best, I would like to k ow exactly which 3 brands are being referred to on the allergy site which seem to be doing the most harm? So I take it you have not had any issues with INK so far ? X

From what I understand, the main problem seems to be the rubber base with TGB.
I have no experience of this brand, choose between them and Ikoniq and very happy with the latter. I’m new and don’t have that many clients yet but so far everyone I've done has gotten at least 3 weeks wear of the PRIMA gelpolish.
Find their products very high quality and fairly prized. The hypoallergenic aspect, plus a free lamp with a purchase of a range of products for more than £180 ultimately won me over. They don’t offer as many colours as TGB but I cover everything in nail art anyway... XD
Hope you will find something that works out for you!

I am literally in the same position as you lol, been debating over ink and gel in a bottle for a while, it is just a minefield trying to decide what to do for the best, I would like to k ow exactly which 3 brands are being referred to on the allergy site which seem to be doing the most harm? So I take it you have not had any issues with INK so far ? X

From my own assumptions I would say the gel bottle, premier gel and Gelish but I wouldn’t know for sure. I’m sure there are many more that arnt being discussed.
I’ve not used ink only looking at them, but I see really good reviews, I wish I had gone with them in the early days.
It’s a complete minefield and now creative play gel have been released aswell so much choice out there.

From what I understand, the main problem seems to be the rubber base with TGB.
I have no experience of this brand, choose between them and Ikoniq and very happy with the latter. I’m new and don’t have that many clients yet but so far everyone I've done has gotten at least 3 weeks wear of the PRIMA gelpolish.
Find their products very high quality and fairly prized. The hypoallergenic aspect, plus a free lamp with a purchase of a range of products for more than £180 ultimately won me over. They don’t offer as many colours as TGB but I cover everything in nail art anyway... XD
Hope you will find something that works out for you!

Thank you for replying, they are very good quality and feel nice and light on the nails, I’m hoping to get to an event. The colour choice is less but I understand that it takes time to build them up safely. I’m glad Prima worked for you and so great that you have found confidence in a product early on!

Fingers crossed ladies we all find something suitable eventually lol xxx

Please bear in mind that PRIMA was only launched at Olympia Beauty last year. So in a really short time we have developed over 100 colours, plus the EVOLUTION Soak-off sculpting gels and the HYPNOS soak-off colour gels (28 colours). Each new colour takes about 3 days to colour match and adjust the photo initiators to ensure a perfect cure - it is not so easy as choosing from ready made and filled products :).

We have new colours coming. Plus, glitter gel polishes and a gel polish builder gel - both specially asked for by our UK customers (who also chose some of the colours), is also on the way and being tested right now.

xx

Please bear in mind that PRIMA was only launched at Olympia Beauty last year. So in a really short time we have developed over 100 colours, plus the EVOLUTION Soak-off sculpting gels and the HYPNOS soak-off colour gels (28 colours). Each new colour takes about 3 days to colour match and adjust the photo initiators to ensure a perfect cure - it is not so easy as choosing from ready made and filled products :).

We have new colours coming. Plus, glitter gel polishes and a gel polish builder gel - both specially asked for by our UK customers (who also chose some of the colours), is also on the way and being tested right now.

xx

Sounds like exciting times are ahead! Thank you for replying!

xx
How can I find this in Australia Bob?

I personally got very bad allergies from using the gel bottle which is the worst considering it’s such a good brand/ amazing staying power:( it didn’t happen straight away but over time resulting to me having to have 2 weeks off work and not able to use the brand anymore, so if you begin to get allergies highly suggest swapping. I currently use shellac now.

I personally got very bad allergies from using the gel bottle which is the worst considering it’s such a good brand/ amazing staying power:( it didn’t happen straight away but over time resulting to me having to have 2 weeks off work and not able to use the brand anymore, so if you begin to get allergies highly suggest swapping. I currently use shellac now.
By allergies I mean, skin peeling, sore hands

How can I find this in Australia Bob?
Sorry, at this time we only sell in Europe and USA. :-( . Hopefully we will find a distributor in Australia soon.

I currently use a brand called Surmanti, soooooo many colours to choose from, they also have a few stamping plates and have now a range of gel stamping polish. They are New Zealand based, also selling skincare, but the gel polish is made in the States as they have better regulations around nail products. I also like the magpie "give me strength" builder gel in a bottle. I am considering adding magpie to my collection and getting their lamp. As much as I love surmanti I don't think the lamp is that great.....and their training they say it doesn't matter what lamp you use to cure gel polish...however I have sought out further training and now know this is not the case. Each brand DEFINITELY needs their own lamp, as gel polish feels hard/cured when it may not be.
I have been keeping an eye on forums and Facebook pages, it seems gel bottles rubber base coat is what has been causing people to have reactions...so I will just stay away from the whole brand myself.

love love shellac but hate that CND have now sold out on the animals by now testing their products on them, time for a change for me.

love love shellac but hate that CND have now sold out on the animals by now testing their products on them, time for a change for me.
I’ve recently tried halo and enjoying them so far!

Latest posts

Back