What to do about gel polish shrinkage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acrylic83

Reaction score
What to do about gel polish shrinkage. Im using gellux but sometimes it shrinks under the lamp am i doing something wrong?

You need to make sure you pull enough of the colour all the way to the end

I use a different brand but certain colours do this. I paint one nail at a time and cure straight after. Solves the problem for me x

Is your base coat covering the whole of the nail including the free edge? This is your base for a reason as the colour coat will stick to the areas you have painted with base - it will pull back from any areas that are not covered.

I also find that scrubbing really well with acetone before scrubbing with Scrubfresh (or whatever your brand requires) helps prevent shrinkage.

All above is great advice and you could also try this ;-
Stir the gel thoroughly with the right tool, dry brush base coat and then flash cure 2 nails at a time. (10 secs to stabilise it) That is what I was told on my gellux course if the colour isn't behaving.
It happens with some colours unfortunately.
Keep trying and you will get there !

Also, check your base coat application. A too thick base coat produces a too thick inhibition layer and the color floats instead of keying into the base. Trying scrubbing your base coat on. If you think you've applied it too thick, dry brush it.

Last edited:
Bad brands are poorly formulated so they'll cause all kinds of problems, heavy shrinking is one of them. All gels shrink btw.

My advice would be to shake the bottle really well and then apply it very very thinly.

Latest posts

Back