What to do after college?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopelessDiva

Reaction score
This part vent part questions
I've been on a NVQ 2 hairdressing course since March and will be finished mid to late August. I have learned a lot but it's taken a toll on my confidence I love hair but I don't think I'm good enough my tutors are happy with my work apart from my speed but I'm not sure they are just being nice. I just feel like my styling and cutting has gone down since starting but I still have the passion
I ended up at college after being at 2 salons that offered saks but both were crazy one was full of office drama and the owner ended up being sued and the other refused to teach us anything g and kept pushing back assessor sessions so we couldnt finish as she didnt want to pay us full wages now I'm faced with the option of either going it alone and being freelance which I don't think I'm confident enough for or keep trying to find a salon which isn't going to mess me around my college is encouraging me to take level 3 but should I try and spend time gaining some experience and perfectin my skills or go on I'm just confused and don't know what to do next but I don't want to give up

Don't give up whatever you do! I know it's hard and it's going to feel like searching for a needle in a haystack you just need to find a good salon, the only way you will get quicker is by running a full column, the thing with college is it doesn't really prepare you for real salon life. Have you thought about headmasters they are all about their training, a good salon will invest in their staff. Maybe look online see which ones have good reviews or get a friend or someone to go in undercover and get their hair done just to get a feel for the place

This part vent part questions
I've been on a NVQ 2 hairdressing course since March and will be finished mid to late August. I have learned a lot but it's taken a toll on my confidence I love hair but I don't think I'm good enough my tutors are happy with my work apart deform my speed but I'm not sure they are just being nice. I just feel like my styling and cutting has gone down since starting but I still have the passion
I ended up at college after being at 2 salons that offered saks but both were crazy one was full of office drama and the owner ended up being sued and the other refused to teach us anything g and kept pushing back assessor sessions so we couldnt finish as she didnt want to pay us full wages now I'm faced with the option of either going it alone and being freelance which I don't think I'm confident enough for or keep trying to find a salon which isn't going to mess me around my college is encouraging me to take level 3 but should I try and spend time gaining some experience and perfectin my skills or go on I'm just confused and don't know what to do next but I don't want to give up
OH im starting level 2 in September at my local college, I thought you had to go to level 3 to qualify? im new to hairdressing, Are You? how did you find the course in college ? was it supportive? im hoping I am good at hairdressing but ive never done anything like this in my life.

OH im starting level 2 in September at my local college, I thought you had to go to level 3 to qualify? im new to hairdressing, Are You? how did you find the course in college ? was it supportive? im hoping I am good at hairdressing but ive never done anything like this in my life.

Level 2 covers your basics colour and cutting level 3 is more advanced hairdressing colour correction etc, try and get a job in a salon along side college once a week or so gives you experience as to what it is actually like working in a salon stay committed then hopefully they'll employ you as their stylist full time after

I'm not financially in a position to keep being messed about I'm 31 with rent and a child so it's not as simple I wasted my time most of last year because my first salons boss said the send thing I know ideally the salon would be best but I don't want to stop or sit on my hands if I don't find one I think I'm going to do level 3 next year so I can build my confidence and speed up but I'm still conflicted when it comes to working in a salon jobs are so unpredictable if I told you all I've seen in the last 12 months and these people are qualified? I've just not got the time to be messed about anymore I'll try headmaster's and see I went for an interview with Aveda and they told me they would call me in for a trial and I didn't hear from them until four weeks later when they sent me an email saying I hadn't got the job I've offered to work for free and had no response my confidence is already an issue just don't want to make things worse if I can maybe just DIY

Thanks for all the response guys

Im on a fast track so it's been pretty intensive I've learned more then I could tell you and I can't say I've not enjoyed it but it's been hard to master cuts as I was a self taught novice but if your doing a normal nvq then you should be fine colour can be tricky a cutting comes with practice so buy styling blocks from now lol we have an on site salon so have been able to take clients who are actually really nice but as it's a fast track I don't feel the tutors are as attentive and your more responsible for your own development but it's been a learning curve.

I'd recommend doing level 3 as an apprentice or just going straight into a salon.
I've just finished my level 2 and 3 back to back and feel like I would have benefited more if I had finished level 2 and either did apprenticeship level 3 or day courses on advanced cutting and colouring instead while working.

I'm 28 have a 2yr old so for me personally I thought doing the level 3 while out of work would give me a bit of an edge for employment as I lack the salon experience right now and couldn't really afford to put the little one in full time nursery on apprentice wage but it's not looking like its helped so much, a few hair dressers I have spoken too have said to me level 3 is a waste of time, I quite liked it but again think working and day courses or apprenticeship would have been more beneficial in hindsight, but again it's all personal circumstances too.

I'm on the job hunt at the moment also, my college was really happy with my work too but commented I needed to be faster but in a one to one, they said speed comes with confidence and practice and confidence comes with experience which is a bit of a... ergh situation but I think thats where "fake it till you make it" comes from. I have confidence issues too and doubt myself a lot but take pictures of all your work, everything. When your confidence falters, look at them, look at how far you've come and how much you've improved and that its only going to get better, I find this helps me anyway.

Im on a fast track so it's been pretty intensive I've learned more then I could tell you and I can't say I've not enjoyed it but it's been hard to master cuts as I was a self taught novice but if your doing a normal nvq then you should be fine colour can be tricky a cutting comes with practice so buy styling blocks from now lol we have an on site salon so have been able to take clients who are actually really nice but as it's a fast track I don't feel the tutors are as attentive and your more responsible for your own development but it's been a learning curve.
I couldn't do fast track as Im dyslexic , styling blocks? I have a salon placement 1 day a week and start Saturday and I am looking forward to that.

Level 2 covers your basics colour and cutting level 3 is more advanced hairdressing colour correction etc, try and get a job in a salon along side college once a week or so gives you experience as to what it is actually like working in a salon stay committed then hopefully they'll employ you as their stylist full time after
hi thank you I start my salon placement this Saturday , its only 1 day a week, but hopefully I will learn something

hi thank you I start my salon placement this Saturday , its only 1 day a week, but hopefully I will learn something
You should I've realised practice and hands on training is the key

hi I went to the salon and I was bullied.I had a model in and I got the hairbrush stuck in her hair as the hairdresser told me to really curl the brush into the ladys hair. I was so embarrassed, that the model left, then at the end of the day I was asked if I wanted a wash and hair cut thinking they were going to look after me they chopped massive inches off my hair and dyed it dark dark black and im a aurburn . I looked ghastly. Problem is I have to go back because I need this salon, I showed the manager the picture and she said you need a sense of humour in hairdressing, the manager is 73 and wanting to sell the salon, so she didn't really care,,so im going back to the salon and im ready for a fight in a place in hairdressing

My gosh this is why I'm so worried it's all well and good getting a placement but the people your meant to be learning from are not professional trust me I understand I don't even know what to say to that I'm sorry that happened to you don't give up tho just keep practicing and your own professional standards high

My gosh this is why I'm so worried it's all well and good getting a placement but the people your meant to be learning from are not professional trust me I understand I don't even know what to say to that I'm sorry that happened to you don't give up tho just keep practicing and your own professional standards high
Thank you so much, I went in the salon last night and met another member of staff who had been there since 13, then left apprantley at 26 to go to university and did 2 degrees, but is back doing hairdressing and she asked me why I was having a career change to hairdressing and I told her it was to get a skill and cut peoples hair in care homes and stuff for free, she slammed it down straight away, I came to the salon for confidence and I feel as if I cant do this job already, I Don't start college till September so im in the salon on Saturday and I need to be assertive and step forward to wash the peoples hair, im scared though in case I make a mistake and they might shout at me or something, im so glad you are here to talk to

I would find another salon.

You don't need negativity like that around you.

If you're doing work experience any salon would be glad to have you.

If I were you find a new salon as soon as!
You need a hands on manager who can give you all the training and support you need, if she's 73 and just doesn't really care that would be alarm bells for me if I'm honest.

Thank you so much, I went in the salon last night and met another member of staff who had been there since 13, then left apprantley at 26 to go to university and did 2 degrees, but is back doing hairdressing and she asked me why I was having a career change to hairdressing and I told her it was to get a skill and cut peoples hair in care homes and stuff for free, she slammed it down straight away, I came to the salon for confidence and I feel as if I cant do this job already, I Don't start college till September so im in the salon on Saturday and I need to be assertive and step forward to wash the peoples hair, im scared though in case I make a mistake and they might shout at me or something, im so glad you are here to talk to
No worries I have been offered space to take clients but sadly no work experience I've been told to work on my skills for a few months and start applying for jobs as mastering cuts will give me an edge, I understand how important salon experience is but if no one is willing to give it I can't afford to quite I paid for my course with no help I've taken time away from my online business which has meant less money I feel like I've made a lot of effort and sacrifice only to have others messed up intentions and the only way around it is more training which costs or maybe trying things like my hairdresser.com and taking things from there I think you will feel a lot more confident in college and I hope it goes well for you I'm hoping to do some classes in cutting and colour to follow up after college

Latest posts

Back