What to do with client who keeps cancelling at last minute!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily22

Reaction score
Hi there,

can anyone offer me some advice? I have a client who is fairly new but she keeps cancelling her appointments at the very last minute! I have turned down work on a couple of occasions for when I have her booked in only for her to then cancel by text message a few hours before..

I have asked her to try and give me more notice but it seems to have gone unheard! I wouldnt mind if there were good reasons for her cancelling but the excuses I keep getting are things like 'i just realised ive overspent this week' and 'i just realised ive got to do something else tonight!'.. etc etc.

I dont really want to keep booking her in when this is happening every time.. Out of 7 appointments she has only actually kept one!..

I am a mobile nail tech and time is precious as I dont work a lot of hours due to family commitments, so the hours i do work Id like to be able to use for genuine clients who actually want the treatments..

well if it were me I wouldn't book her in anymore! Sounds like she will always be a nightmare to me, different if its a genuine thing that crops up and they cant get out of it but she seems to be taking the mick imo....

This has come up before and I've read some really good responses, the best I think is to do is be firm and tell her that she has cancelled in the past and that you would prefer is she called you on the day she required you, if you have a problem saying it like that just say next time 'no problems hun, just ring me on the day to re-confirm'
Sometimes the less you converse with your client the better

hi hun i would get rid of her she is actually costing you money, your gaining nothing by keeping her x

If a client doesn't show up or cancels 2 appointments with less then 24hours notice any fututre appointments must be paid for at the time of booking otherwise I won't accept an appointment.

If this applies to a client I add them to a "Prepay" contact on my phone so before I even answer the call I know they must pay for the appointment.

Mat

Just an idea hun but maybe you would start taking deposits from her. Explain to her how busy you are and that from now on you will be taking say a 10% deposit. Give her a minimum cancellation time for example 24 hours notice! She could then just keep this deposit ongoing with you and if she cancels last minute she looses it x x :)

I had the very same problem with a spray tan client, not only did she keep cancelling but she was such a moaner. Peolpe can say her money is as good as anyone elses but really she is loosing you money.
I eventually told her that the appointment she books will be the appointment she gets as i am really busy and she could be waiting weeks.
It seemed to work but i couldnt do with the moaning so told her i'm not coming back.

xxx

I would not re-book her to keep 1 out of 7 appointments is not on at all. If you have already booked her then next time she cancels just politely say you have no free appointments when she needs them (tell her you are just to busy) :)

I had one client that was costing me a small fortune in missed appointments, the only reason I put up with it is because she came quite frequently (even with the missed appointments) and spent quite a lot on retail every visit. In the end I worked out that even with her purchasing lots of products it didn't really cover the cost of the missed appointments so I told her that if she didn't turn up or cancelled at the very last minute again I would require payment in advance for the following treatment. She only came again once after that and her slots were filled pretty quickly with other clients so it worked out rather well.

It is very annoying when the same clients cancel all the time. I have gone down to 2 days a week due to being quite heavily pregnant and am fully booked both days so to have someone cancel last minute (which has happened every single week since been part time) is really annoying as I don't have time to let clients that are on a waiting list have the appointment and I loose out on money. I have probably had at least 1 hour cancellation every day so ive been around £80 down for each 2 day week i have been doing.:irked:

I would be up front with her, a lady who kept doing what your lady does was dreadfully upset when I told her I would not be booking her in anymore. She said that she was unaware of the inconvenience that it caused me andwas sorry! We have a great working relationship now. Sometimes honesty is the best policy.

Like everyone has said i personaly wouldnt book her in again to cancel once is bad enough but to keep doing it takes the pea!! When your mobile you dont need clients like this.

I would suggest you write her a lovely letter, telling her how much you value her custom, but that you cant afford to not charge her for her appointments, whether she shows or not, because its your TIME shes booking not a treatment only. Therefore in future you will have to insist that she pays on booking (via credit card?) for your time.
The problem with people like this is not only do you lose their money but you lose the money from someone you could have booked in.
At the same time bad word of mouth is not good, so you have to be careful how you put it over. Good luck!

Hi Emily - I charge 50% of the treatment if they cancel less than 24 hours before treatment ( except for illness or emergency)

I really get annoyed with people like that and to be honest i wouldn't rebook her!

Lisa

I recently co-hosted a seminar with a chap called Simon Harris of Headlines and he suggested the route mentioned above by Cabinkel. Sometimes clients are blissfully unaware of the problems they cause- at least if you have been up front with her she has no cause to complain when you turn down her appointments next time.

I wouldnt book her in anymore if that was me. She seems like a timewaster and if she has done this 7 times already then she is bound to do it more.

I have had a client simular too this on all her appointments she turns up at least 30-45 minutes late (she does let me know) but she does always end up turning up.

Politely ask her for payment in full to secure her next appointment and inform her that because she has only kept 6 out of 7 appointments, that unfortunately this payment is nonrefundable if the appointment is not kept.

Smile sweetly whilst saying and then tell her you look forward to seeing her next time. Chances are you will, but if you don't, then at least you have been paid.

Also ensure that any price brochures, website etc.... state that appointments need eg. 24 hours notice for cancellation or charges will be made.

Hi Love, I would fire her butt! Time is money and she is wasting yours. I have no patience for this behaviour - and after the first two - she would have been out the door.

tell her no more appointments will be made or take a deposit at the time of booking

Some people will mess you around if you let them , so you must be firm and let them know that some things are just not acceptable!

I agree with all that has been said.

My only comment would be just be careful with the wording of getting rid of her. Usually people like this (sweeping generlisation) wont tell anyone that you bend over backwards for them but will tell everyone that you dont want to their *** (insert treatment).

Good luck!

Becki xxx

Latest posts

Back