What to do with client???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wanted your advice to back up my own instincts on this one.

I have just opened the Nail Lounge and this is my first week. All has gone well and I am feeling really happy about how things have panned out.

A client came in on Tuesday night. I was with a client already, and she just stormed in demanding to know what products I used, and how I sanitized things. She was very abrupt, posh, and condesending toward both myself and my PAYING client. I explained the various hygene process' that we go through and showed her my equiptment (whilst I was supposed to be dealing with another client). She was really snobby with me and eventually left saying that she wished me the best of luck. I then apologised to my client for the big outburst and the distraction of my attention to her. She was fine and could understand that nothing could be done about the ladies lack of manners. I thought to my self, I don't want to do her nails as she will be constantly moaning and will probably sue me for breathing.

Well today she reappeared. Again I was with a client. I greeted her and asked her to take a seat for a moment whilst my receptionist returned from her duty in the back room. Not even ten seconds had gone by, and she just got up and walked round the back of my reception desk and started going through my appointment book looking for an appointment. I was stunned at this point, not to mention my client, and just couldn't even think straight to control the situation. After booking her own appointment, she stormed out.

My client could not beleive the rudeness and complete arrogance that had occoured. And the more that I think about it, neither can I.

I have decided that when this 'Woman' comes in tomorrow, that I shall ask her whether she actually has any respect for either me or my business for that matter. If she says yes, then I shall ask her why she feels she can be so rude and treat my saloon like she owns the place, and how she thinks that she is more important than my paying clients (bearing in mind she hasn't paid a penny yet). I can't do a treatment on her, when she can't respect me or my salon. I will not have someone treating my clients with such rudeness and neglect.

My only concern is that this kind of woman probably has a mouth on her that will destroy my new reputation. I really am unsure of what to do, but I will not be spoken to like a piece of poo poo, thats for sure.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Remember the Kiss/Kick rule ... works every time.

First your kiss 'em ... I was pleased that you returned to my salon to book an appointment. Thank you.

KIck 'em ... I ould like to point out to you though, that I employ a receptionist to do all my bookings and my appointment book is private. If in future you come in to the salon and wish to make an appointment, I would appreciate it if you would wait until the receptionist can take your booking or of course you can always phone the salon. Please respect that when I am with a client my focus is on her, which is why I employ a receptionist to take my bookings.

Kiss em ... I'm looking forward to doing your nails today and I know you will enjoy it and be pleased with the resluts.

This method is far less confrontational than your post suggests you want to be.
Never give anyone the chance to say anything that will reflect badly on you.
This way, you will have told her in no uncertain terms how you feel, and by keeping your voice calm at all times, she has got nothing to 'rise' to.
If she doesn't like it and gets ariated with you anyway, then good ridance to her ... but you are right people like this can be danger to your reputation so soon after opening and while you and the Nail Lounge are still a hot topic of conversation.

Be polite ... but be firm.

geeg said:
Remember the Kiss/Kick rule ... works every time.

First your kiss 'em ... I was pleased that you returned to my salon to book an appointment. Thank you.

KIck 'em ... I ould like to point out to you though, that I employ a receptionist to do all my bookings and my appointment book is private. If in future you come in to the salon and wish to make an appointment, I would appreciate it if you would wait until the receptionist can take your booking or of course you can always phone the salon. Please respect that when I am with a client my focus is on her, which is why I employ a receptionist to take my bookings.

Kiss em ... I'm looking forward to doing your nails today and I know you will enjoy it and be pleased with the resluts.

This method is far less confrontational than your post suggests you want to be.
Never give anyone the chance to say anything that will reflect badly on you.
This way, you will have told her in no uncertain terms how you feel, and by keeping your voice calm at all times, she has got nothing to 'rise' to.
If she doesn't like it and gets ariated with you anyway, then good ridance to her ... but you are right people like this can be danger to your reputation so soon after opening and while you and the Nail Lounge are still a hot topic of conversation.

Be polite ... but be firm.
Thats so spot on, but then it would be coming from Gigi !!!!!

1. S --- say it
  2. M -- mean it
  3. I --- insist
  4. L ----listen
  5. E----end it with a smile
Good luck babe !!!

Thank you ladies,

I am really grateful for your help, when your so new to being in the big wide world of the salon it is hard to know how to deal with any situation. I am very nervous about tomorrow, however, with your advice I shall hold my head up high, in my salon.

Take it easy and enjoy your weekend

Yes remember your Salon, your Rules xxxxx

:eek: :eek: I'm so shocked some people can be so rude. This woman obviously thinks she rules and is far better than anyone else. I wish you lots of luck when dealing with her :rolleyes: Hopefully she will realise how rude she was. I cant believe that any body could be so inconsiderate and down right rude but at the end of the day she made herself look stupid!!! If she carries on making a pain of herself or putting you on the spot and being so demanding i would make out that you are booked for the next millenium lol but hide your book from her or she will be checking it herself lol. I wish you luck with your client let us know how you handled the situation, you poor thing I dont envy you. Its clients like that that I fear, scary but If your strong then she will learn from the start that you are not to be spoken to in that way!!!! Unfortunately some people see us as slaves just doing the service for them and we are all lowly people - so not true, she needs to come back into reality and take her head out of her *** Sorry but rude people like that really wind me up. :rolleyes: Best of luck hun

Love Loo xxxxxxxx

We have some studios and whilst I agree some clients can be rude, none are as rude as yours have been. We have had clients who demand this and that- nothing too unreasonably but things that could get out of control. Fortunately, your client is NOT sutle, so what you see is what you get. That's good, you can now handle her.

Do as Geeg says - otherwise, when her friends come in they will also try and run you.

You do sound professional from your previous posts; remember this is probably just a little test.

Good luck but I sure you don't need it!

Cathy

Sawasdee ka

This lady was not only rude she was angry .

Maybe she or her daughter have a salon not far from where you have open your shop .

Be carefull this lady and if was me i not do her nails i ask her to find another salon because i am fully booked and then you smile :) .

Mui from Thailand

i have to say well done for your patience, sometimes its very hard to smile sweetly when someone is so horrid!
just reading what she has done is making me angry...if it had of been me at this moment ( i am pregnant and always fuming lol think its the hormones) i would have probably thrown her down the street!!!!!!!!! ooops not good i know but what a cowbag....
good luck with her let us know how she went on, sometimes they get better when you get to know them.......
lots of luck
Kat xxx

i have to gree with Geeg and Ruth, youneed to be firm but polite and then it leaves the ball in her court.

I know i'd personally not want a customer like her but you don't want her as an enemy either. If you are really polite and smile at her she can't have a go really?

Perhaps that's the only way she deals with people, or she's had a bad experience which she thinks all salons are below her.

Keep us posted about her it's got me intrugued.

Don't forget Gina is on Jersey, a small island & unless this lady is a tourist (which I don't think she is), she may be a resident & as Gina says she could do damage to her reputation. I'm not sure I'd want her on my books either, but thats me now at my stage in my career & not when I first opened my salon (when I took anybody, rude or not lol).

I would do what Geeg & Ruth suggest (which is how I used to deal with it if it arose & how you deal with any client with any problem/attitude, etc). Smile thru your gritted teeth if you have to, find out exactly what her problem is when she is in your chair (she may just have been having a bad day or used to behaving like that LOL), be firm, polite & do the best service on her she has ever had! Give her a small gift e.g. oil etc on her departure - if she is "posh" she will have "posh" friends & she will tell them how sweet & professional you were & look at these nails LOL!!

Give her the benefit of the doubt the first time but don't let her trample on you - she'll only do it if you let her.

Good luck & let us know when she comes in.
Best wishes
Karen

maybe i am thinking along the wrong lines here but are you sure she wasnt doing a bit of spying for another salon or nail technician......thats the first thing that sprang to my mind when you said she just went straight to your appointment book herself......maybe she was sussing out how many clients and how busy you are :|

stanleyann

Hi Gina,

I agree 1000% with Geeg...

however, don't forget that you can also add in that "she booked herself in a time slot that your existing client was looking for".......

make her feel GUILTY--- as in she took someone else's appointment. :evil:

Also- for the future to prevent this- just have your receptionist hand you your appointment book when she is going to leave the desk for any length of time-- or have her close it and put it underneath the desk (or hidden somewhere!!) :biggrin:

Good luck!

stanleyann said:
maybe i am thinking along the wrong lines here but are you sure she wasnt doing a bit of spying for another salon or nail technician......thats the first thing that sprang to my mind when you said she just went straight to your appointment book herself......maybe she was sussing out how many clients and how busy you are :|
stanleyann

It doesn't matter IMO if she was spying, all the more reason to give her something to worry about LOL! But the appointment book is out of bounds.

nailtech said:
It doesn't matter IMO if she was spying, all the more reason to give her something to worry about LOL! But the appointment book is out of bounds.

yeah thats what i meant......bad enough if she was just a pushy client but to go to that length just to suss someone out is beyond a joke

stanleyann

My God !! The nerve of the woman !! Make sure you let us know how you handle it if she does come back in ...... the most annoying thing I have happen is when they don't bother showing up for their appt, and they're off-hand with me when i ring them to 'remind' them that they had an appt with me 15mins ago and had it slipped their mind !!

I always treat people like this as a challenge - i give them the best quality service possible and am very polite and friendly - what satisfaction when you win them over! Some of my longest term clients (7 years) started out with attitude problems, just think how much money they have paid me over the years, and how many people they have recommended!

Thinking about it and from reading the other posts i too would be a bit suspicious of her maybe she is sussing out the sittuation in your salon for someone she knows? Trying to cause a problem, be careful if you are going to do this lady she sounds scary. Most of all keep polite no matter what do not sink to her level that might be what she wants you to do she sounds like she is trying to wind you up.

First thing that crossed my mind was she was perhaps from another salon - or spying for one! I'm really curious to see how this turned out - did she arrive for her appointment?

I had a strange phone call the other day from a 'prospective client' or so she would like me to believe! I was bombarded with questions from this woman about the services I provide and the price of each service. I work from home and when she asked where I was she knew the local area down to the road, which made me think she could be from one of the local salons (I use the tern 'salon' lightly as I've been to some myself). She was insisting I give her my house number but wouldn't tell me why, so I said I only give my house number out to clients who wish to make an appointment, and did she want to? She ignored my question. She went on to ask me how busy I was and how many clients I had at which point I asked who she was. She just replied that she had seen my article in Salon Ireland Magazine which was why she was ringing!!?!! That gave her away because I don't think I know of anyone who isn't in 'the trade' who subscribes to a trade magazine such as Salon Ireland. Funny the lengths people go to!

Waiting with bated breath now to see what happened in Jersey..........

Recently I've had a similar problem but with another local beauty therapist and my new salon isnt even open yet (should be mid Sept when the refurbishment is finished). This particular 'lady' went to see the owner of the building I will be renting to 'explain' to her that I am totally unqualified and renting to me would be a HUGE mistake. Fortunately for me the owner is a friend of mine and knows EXACTLY how qualified I am and just how many courses I have taken over the years and still do (4 so far this year, some nails and some beauty). She also knows that I have membership of The Guild and ANT, public liabaility insurance and that I am dealing with HABIA for the health and safety.

Initially I felt soooo mad that this so-called professional could not only try to end my new venture before it had even started but has then been heard bad-mouthing me around the town too. I have decided that the best way to deal with it is NOT to lose my cool and resort to her tactics (she works from a converted room in her home) but to show my true worth through my work and be the best I can. I will also have ALL my certificates on show in the salon for the world to see coz I am proud of what I have achieved.

Shaza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back