What to do with clients who are difficult?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellie_michellex

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Looking for professional advice on what to do with one of my clients.

I have been eyelash technician for the past 2 & a half years, hand on heart can honestly say I love my job & all my clients except one....

Now I understand that EVERYONE deals with these type of clients & its part of the job but im looking for advice on how to go about this situation, please bear with me as ill try to keep my post short.

I have a client who I have been seeing for the past 2/3 months so fairly new, so far she has been back to me 3 times each of which I have done a full set for her, all time she has always nit picked problems with my work, demanding me to add lashes where they simply cannot be applied. I work between 2 work bases (my home address and my parents for my ladies who do not drive) she told me she could only get to my parents address however turned up to her appointment in her car.

This lady also does eyelashes (therefore I know she will not bring me new business) & is a few years older than me. On our first appointment she advised me that her lash lady before done them x,y,z lenght & curl & she wanted them the same. Once I had finished she questioned me on applying the lash to two lashes in her inner corner which I hadnt done, therefore I confirmed I only work 1:1 lash ratio. Fast forward a few weeks and she came back & asked for shorter lashes. I told her that in order to make them shorter I would need to remove the remain extensions. She spent 30 minutes of her appointment arguing on the phone, then I informed her eyes need to remain closed as the glue remover will sting if contact of the eyes are to happen. During my removal she recieved a text which she then opened her eyes to look at & the remover went into her eyes causing the stinging, she told me that she had to be out by a certain time to pick her child up from school, I tried my absolute hardest to be quick and through for her to be out of her appointment on time yet she still nit picked that lashes could be applied to her outer stumpy lashes. 3rd appointment just gone she arrived 2 weeks on for her infills with 10% of her extensions remaining. I advised her that the lashes have not lasted as long as I would have hoped so would like to go down a thickness to ensure she is getting her moneys worth to which she replied she never had the problem before & would like to remain with the same extensions. I then advised removal of the current extensions would happen, fresh set applied on which she demanded she didnt want the remover as it went into her eyes although she kept them closed? I managed to persuade a removal, full set was applied and she spent 40 mins over her appointment time nit picking and asking for lashes to be applied where they couldnt.

My question is if she is back for her 4th appointment (which no doubt she will) and continues to point out faults that cannot be fixed should I recommend her to go elsewhere as she is obviously not happy with my work? Or should I just suck it up? I genuinely dread & get extremely stressed when she books in with me that I am starting to think whether its worth the money and time.

Note: I have not had any problem's with any of my other clients to the extent of this lady and genuinely feel she is nit picking & rude due to my age.

Nit picking like this is a form of bullying. Obviously you're very busy now with summer coming up & you can't fit her in. Staying 40 minutes after her slots ended is unacceptable behaviour.

I wonder why her previous lash tech can't see her again?:rolleyes:

Nit picking like this is a form of bullying. Obviously you're very busy now with summer coming up & you can't fit her in. Staying 40 minutes after her slots ended is unacceptable behaviour.

I wonder why her previous lash tech can't see her again?:rolleyes:

Thank you very much for your reply, after posting saw how long it was and thought Oh God long shot anyone will reply lol. Yes it gets me under the weather, I dont know how to go about the situation as I have never had to deal with it before and its only my reputation that will be hurt. I did ask her and she told me she has now gone back to full time work so has stopped lashing! I am extremely busy at the moment so this is potentially taking up a slot for another lady and costing me money. X

I think if this was me I would say I am fully booked when she tried to re book, from the sounds of things it not worth the time or hassle. I only have a small client bases as I have only really started but luckily they all seem lovely, I dread the day I get an awful client! You sound like you know what you're doing so try not to let her get you down! xx

I think if this was me I would say I am fully booked when she tried to re book, from the sounds of things it not worth the time or hassle. I only have a small client bases as I have only really started but luckily they all seem lovely, I dread the day I get an awful client! You sound like you know what you're doing so try not to let her get you down! xx

Thanks for your reply Karlie, honestly all my other clients are lovely and I look forward to seeing them so much for our monthly chit chat. I think its just my luck she has come across my path x

Unless you desperately need the money, I don't think it's worth the stress that it's causing you. It sounds like you've tried your best. I'd politely advise that she go somewhere else as she clearly isn't happy.
I know others will disagree with me, but I think life is too short for you to dread your work! x

Unless you desperately need the money, I don't think it's worth the stress that it's causing you. It sounds like you've tried your best. I'd politely advise that she go somewhere else as she clearly isn't happy.
I know others will disagree with me, but I think life is too short for you to dread your work! x

I have been told this from my mum and other half who are both self employed too. I totally agree with you as I do agree that she isnt happy after appointments although she does keep returning! I dont know whether she is just generally like this or if she feels she can talk down to me due to the age! X

Totally agree with all the above points, remember you are your own boss & make your own rules, you don't need to feel stressed sack her (politely) as a client x

Please don't say you're fully booked. She may just try and push an appointment further and further. I think that when she calls you to rebook, or if she rebooks at her appointment, book her in, then either call her or text her and say that after giving it some thought, you really don't think you're the therapist for her. Simply say "you're clearly not happy with the way I work and it is probably best that you find an alternative therapist". If she says she's happy, stand your ground and say " you're clearly not and so I'm afraid I don't think I can continue treating you"

Then pour yourself a big drink and heave a sigh of relief x

Totally agree with all the above points, remember you are your own boss & make your own rules, you don't need to feel stressed sack her (politely) as a client x

Thanks Fluffy, I think this is definitely my only route left! X

Please don't say you're fully booked. She may just try and push an appointment further and further. I think that when she calls you to rebook, or if she rebooks at her appointment, book her in, then either call her or text her and say that after giving it some thought, you really don't think you're the therapist for her. Simply say "you're clearly not happy with the way I work and it is probably best that you find an alternative therapist". If she says she's happy, stand your ground and say " you're clearly not and so I'm afraid I don't think I can continue treating you"

Then pour yourself a big drink and heave a sigh of relief x

Yes this did cross my mind as if I say sorry im fully booked for the next 3 weeks she may rebook for after! I feel rebooking and seeing if she continues to difficult after the next appointment will be the best route as then at least she will not try to rebook for future appointments. I will rehearse your lines ready! Thank you x

You do NOT have to work on any client that you don't want to end of! Hope all goes well for you!

Jeeeeez she sounds awful! But well done for sticking out 3 appointments ...I'm not sure I would have your patience! I would politely say your fully booked and only offer appointments you know she cannot make! I.e. when she's at work!

You seem lovely and really this is bullying..... I had a lady similar to this who had bi-polar and she made me so nervous I would doubt my self and my confidence slipped even though I have 11 years! So i fazed her out and now if I get a bad feeling about a potential client, I make myself unavailable!

I employ a lash lady and she has high standards of work only doing the correct ratio ect, removing correctly ect, she clearly doesn't have the same care and standard as you do xx

Birmingham polar?

Jeeeeez she sounds awful! But well done for sticking out 3 appointments ...I'm not sure I would have your patience! I would politely say your fully booked and only offer appointments you know she cannot make! I.e. when she's at work!

You seem lovely and really this is bullying..... I had a lady similar to this who had birmingham polar and she made me so nervous I would doubt my self and my confidence slipped even though I have 11 years! So i fazed her out and now if I get a bad feeling about a potential client, I make myself unavailable!

I employ a lash lady and she has high standards of work only doing the correct ratio ect, removing correctly ect, she clearly doesn't have the same care and standard as you do xx

Thank you lottie! To be honest the first appointment was so bad as it was quiet refreshing for someome to give me tips on my work but the second and third appointment just absolutely annoyed me to be honest! Its very frustrating that I know she only does lashing as a hobbie and has told me she only has 1/2 regulars a month to make sure she 'doesnt forget the technique'. I do lashing on a daily bases nearly 7 days a week most weeks. I let all my ladies know if there is anything your not happy with I will fix it but I genuinely feel she is just taking the absolute mick now thank you for your kind words, its disheartening when a client leaves unhappy and overly critical. X

You're never gonna please everyone in this line of work we are dealing with the public on a personal level and so are open to awful people criticizing us.... it's worse when we are in their home tho.... That's Unfortunately the way it is for us... I'm sure everyone reading this thread has had atleast two clients like this in their time!

You're never gonna please everyone in this line of work we are dealing with the public on a personal level and so are open to awful people criticizing us.... it's worse when we are in their home tho.... That's Unfortunately the way it is for us... I'm sure everyone reading this thread has had atleast two clients like this in their time!
Thats very true Ash, I have my figures crossed none of us have to deal with any awkward clients again though although I do kind of feel for the next lash lady she has x

Yep but hopefully the next lady she is a client to doesn't take her crap! Hope you feel better now you've talked it out!

Thank you lottie! To be honest the first appointment was so bad as it was quiet refreshing for someome to give me tips on my work but the second and third appointment just absolutely annoyed me to be honest! Its very frustrating that I know she only does lashing as a hobbie and has told me she only has 1/2 regulars a month to make sure she 'doesnt forget the technique'. I do lashing on a daily bases nearly 7 days a week most weeks. I let all my ladies know if there is anything your not happy with I will fix it but I genuinely feel she is just taking the absolute mick now thank you for your kind words, its disheartening when a client leaves unhappy and overly critical. X

Stop 'feeding' that monster! :p
NEEDY NEEDY NEEDY!

Yep but hopefully the next lady she is a client to doesn't take her crap! Hope you feel better now you've talked it out!

Yes I do hope so! I dont seem to have a back bone when it comes to things like this, I really pride myself on the customer service I offer and providing a tailored service with the willing to go that bit further, but some people do like to take advantage obviously! Feel much better now I have vented and had advice off of everyone I just didnt want to make any rash decicions in binning her off but after today my mind is made up, I chose this career path for the flexibility round my family life and as it is something I thoroughly enjoy, I would hate for someone like her to dull my passion X

Latest posts

Back