What to do with clients who are difficult?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EXACTLY! You're making the right decision!

Do you spray tan?

EXACTLY! You're making the right decision!

Do you spray tan?

At the moment I am only offering Eyelash Extensions and Eyebrow Extensions/ Eyebrow Treatments. I have been looking into spray tanning as im looking for a quicker treatment to offer my clients. It is definitely on my to-do list! X

I had a client like this. There's a post on here somewhere about it. After months and months of being harassed, I simply said to her "I will not be booking you in again" . She knew damn well why and didn't put up too much fuss. I felt better immediately and you will too.

I had a client like this. There's a post on here somewhere about it. After months and months of being harassed, I simply said to her "I will not be booking you in again" . She knew damn well why and didn't put up too much fuss. I felt better immediately and you will too.

Thanks, I have tried to have a quick look on your profile but cant seem to find the post. X

I had a very similar situation with a nail client recently who ended up hanging around and nit picking for 2 and a half hours after an appointment that should have been just over an hour! I too, had never experienced a client like her [emoji85] I worded a message advising that I didn't feel comfortable doing the treatments she was asking me too as she was just ruining her nails. I advised what I thought the best course of action would be and said I would be happy to do this for her. She had come to me from a nail bar, and I guess swiftly went back there. I was worried about reputation too but sent a lovely, professional, explanatory message and she came back with an equally lovely and understanding reply. To be completely honest I didn't expect her to take it so well as she was also in the industry and trying to get a job with me!!! Trust your gut and if you're dreading your appointments with her, it's not worth it. Sorry for the essay, just thought my similar experience might be helpful! Good luck!! X

You have been doing fabulously - lasting 3 treatments with a monster!

I know it will be hardest, but I think the best approach is to not rebook her. When she asks for an appointment, just be honest ( in a tactful way ).

'I'm sorry but I am not going to rebook you. It is obvious that you have been unhappy with the standard of my lash work as you have ask for so many corrections at the end of each session, so I'm not happy to rebook you. I do wish you success fining a lash tech that better meets your expectations'

It is sooo easy to say you are full / busy / can't fit her in...but then how many times is she going to try getting an appointment with you? This way is harder, but much better!

Don't let her bulling make you feel bad about your standard of work! You lash every day, 5 days a week and have a business..what does she have? one to two clients a month ( probably one every 2 months ).

You are no saying your work is bad, you are saying she's not happy with your work...sounds like she won't be happy with anyones!

Thank you all for your kind words, I have written up a message for her ready for when she books in, I found her Facebook with pictures of her work and quite frankly am shocked with how shabby and minimal her sets look which has absolutely topped it for me, she is somehow getting away with charging £60+ where as I am fairly cheap at £35 (which has just increased and she questioned at her last appointment). I have added some pictures below (1st picture her work 2nd picture my lashes for her)
If someone could proof read and let me know how this sounds id be extremely grateful as I would rather do this for when she books than at the end of her next treatment as I do feel she is the kind of client who will not pay.

Hi ______, I hope you are well.

After giving it some thought, I feel that my technique is not quite meeting your expectations. I have had the impression from our past few appointments that unfortunately you have not been entirely happy with my work, therefore I feel it is best you find an alternative lash technician whom is better suited for you.

Please do not take this personally as it has not been an easy decision for me to make. I have felt quite deflated and upset after each appointment that I haven't been able to meet your expectations as I aim to make sure all my clients are 100% happy with the services I provide. In the unlikely event they are not, I feel that it's in their best interest to continue their search until they find someone better suited.

If you would like an appointment for a removal of your remaining extensions please let me know as I will be happy to book you in so you are ready for when you find another lash technician. Otherwise I wish you the best of luck in your search.

How does it sound to you guys????? X

Last edited:
Thank you all for your kind words, I have written up a message for her ready for when she books in, I found her Facebook with pictures of her work and quite frankly am shocked with how shabby and minimal her sets look which has absolutely topped it for me, she is somehow getting away with charging £60+ where as I am fairly cheap at £35 (which has just increased and she questioned at her last appointment). I have added some pictures below (1st picture her work 2nd picture my lashes for her)
If someone could proof read and let me know how this sounds id be extremely grateful as I would rather do this for when she books than at the end of her next treatment as I do feel she is the kind of client who will not pay.

Hi ______, I hope you are well.

After giving it some thought, I feel that my technique is not quite meeting your expectations. I have had the impression from our past few appointments that unfortunately you have not been entirely happy with my work, therefore I feel it is best you find an alternative lash technician whom is better suited for you.

Please do not take this personally as it has not been an easy decision for me to make. I have felt quite deflated and upset after each appointment that I haven't been able to meet your expectations as I aim to make sure all my clients are 100% happy with the services I provide. In the unlikely event they are not, I feel that it's in their best interest to continue their search until they find someone better suited.

If you would like an appointment for a removal of your remaining extensions please let me know as I will be happy to book you in so you are ready for when you find another lash technician. Otherwise I wish you the best of luck in your search.

How does it sound to you guys????? X
Perfect. I probably wouldn't be quite as nice, but this gets your point across with no room for debate (you hope).

Let us know how it goes x

I'm a hairdresser and had a lady once who without fail always had something to complain about every time I cut her hair, I use to dread seeing her name in the book. One day before I'd shampooed the moaning started as usual. That day I'd had enough and said I think next time you come you should maybe see somebody else it's obvious I don't do your hair the way you want every time you come in there's something wrong with it. She looked horrified and said that wasn't the case she didn't want to see anyone else. She was as nice as can be from that day on till.she moved away.
Maybe just say something like that directly to her and see what happens. If it carries on just refuse to book her in.

Her work is awful how can she expect someone to pay £60 for that?!
I definitely don't think you should do a removal for her as that might leave it open for her to be angry and to argue with you to your face about the piece you wrote as why you're not doing her lashes anymore...

Her work is awful how can she expect someone to pay £60 for that?!
I definitely don't think you should do a removal for her as that might leave it open for her to be angry and to argue with you to your face about the piece you wrote as why you're not doing her lashes anymore...

This was exactly my first thought when I came across her work and couldnt quite believe she has been criticising and picking at my work as much as she has. I very much doubt she will return for a removal as she has products to hand to remove the remaining lashes herself however I feel it is the right thing to offer to keep things on a good note so it leaves minimal room for her to slate my business to other ladies? X

Listen for a sec! SOME PEOPLE WILL FIND ANYTHING TRUE OR FALSE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT AND TALK CRAP TO OTHER'S ABOUT YOU!!

There is no good note to leave on with someone like her trust me she will say what she wants to who she wants true or false don't waste your time!

I think the first paragraph of your message is perfect, don't bother with the rest of it, that first paragraph says all you need to say.

I completely agree with @KrissKross

Stop after the first paragraph. Don't try to explain anything and don't open the door for removal either.

I completely agree with @KrissKross

Stop after the first paragraph. Don't try to explain anything and don't open the door for removal either.

Thank you ladies, I just felt to leave the ending as a 'good will' gesture, in a way I would like to incorporate how she has made me feel so she kinda of feels bad and wont go to this extreme with anyone else, dont know whether that sounds to petty? I completely understand that you cant please everyone in this line of work however everyone apart from her is happy with their lashes from the moment they look in then mirror so do not feel the need to alter my technique for her only. Everyone in my area is advertising for £45+ with the same finishing look as mine, it is obvious she has a problem with travel also so without sounding 'big headed' I strongly doubt she will change her ways with any other local ladies xx

I would just use the first paragraph because as it continues on in the next paragraphs, I feel you are giving her your power, if you understand what I mean. You are throwing the ball back in her court, and that is not what you want.
Stay professional, stay succinct, stand your ground while being polite, then just be done with her.

Thank you ladies, I just felt to leave the ending as a 'good will' gesture, in a way I would like to incorporate how she has made me feel so she kinda of feels bad and wont go to this extreme with anyone else, dont know whether that sounds to petty? I completely understand that you cant please everyone in this line of work however everyone apart from her is happy with their lashes from the moment they look in then mirror so do not feel the need to alter my technique for her only. Everyone in my area is advertising for £45+ with the same finishing look as mine, it is obvious she has a problem with travel also so without sounding 'big headed' I strongly doubt she will change her ways with any other local ladies xx

How did it go? did you fire her yet?

How did it go? did you fire her yet?

Haha yes I did! It didnt go as bad as expected. She was very suprised and replied with 'maybe this is why my other lady went back to work' hmmm maybe! So far so good, thank you for all your help! X

Money is nice but it means nothing if the clients cause us stress.

Everyone should have a "fire that client" button.
If you do refuse to treat her, you will feel the stress lift from your body I guarantee it xxx

Haha yes I did! It didnt go as bad as expected. She was very suprised and replied with 'maybe this is why my other lady went back to work' hmmm maybe! So far so good, thank you for all your help! X

Some people are unreal. Now you can carry on without that added stress!

Latest posts

Back