What to do with salon while on maternity?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxhaylzxx

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I know these questions do get asked quite regular but I am hoping to hear from people who have a salon and work alone who are pregnant or have had babies. I am due to get married at the end of the year and we plan to try and a start a family pretty much straight away. So I am just looking at my options really.

My family think I'm nuts for not wanting to get a member of staff in to cover while I plan to be off, and that I plan to work as far along as I can have a 12 or so weeks off and then introduce my self back a couple of afternoons/ morning a week what ever I find works at the time. I am currently saving up so I know my salon rent, bills and anything else work related will be paid whilst I have no money coming in through the business.

We both have big families and both our sets of parents are retired so we have lots of help too. I have spoken to my clients about it when they have asked if we plan to have children and they have all been supportive and have said that it is one perk of this job and being self employed that it is flexible. And I will have an appointment only system going. I have been open just over 3 years with a great client base who do keep me very busy. I would hate to lose any of them but I truly think they would come back to me if they had to go elsewhere whilst I was off.

The reason I don't want to take anyone on is that I just plain and simply don't trust anyone to do treatments how I do them and how my clients like them. It is so hard to find anyone who actually give a damn and loves the job. I also do not want this stress while I have some time off with a new baby. Has anybody ever taken this risk and it work out for the better?

I always thought it was the logical thing to do but after I mentioned it to my dad he didn't seem to understand why I would close. To be honest apart from my 2 weekly shellac clients most people will probably only be missing 1 appointment in the time I am off so don't see it as such a bad thing.

When I had my first child I was sharing a room with another therapist, she took on the room by herself. I had a 4 month break and had a salon at home when I went back to work. After my second I took 6 weeks off and lost very few clients. But you are unlikely to want as many clients as u had before children in the early years? Would you look at getting another self employed therapist to take on the room whilst you are on a break and would share when you go back on the understanding she develop/bring her own client base with her. You may not want to concentrate on work so hard after having a baby. It gives you options for part time working?

I had a break of a few months after my pregnancy. When I started back, I told all my clients and they came back to me. Your clients will come back because they like your treatments and they like you but I'd take Havencheltenham's advice and consider part-time working after the baby.

Just to throw a spanner into the works (sorry ) I'm 23 weeks pregnant and have been suffering with severe sickness since week 5! Sometimes I'm sick 25-30 times a day . I'm on medication for it but that only worked for a short time, when I'm not actually being sick I feel sick anyway. So, my point was, it's really difficult being self employed, my plan was to work up to near enough the end, reducing hours etc as I go and then gently move back in after baby but I've actually had most of my pregnancy off and feel awful letting my clients down, (luckily they have all been very kind) as well as being skint haha! If I were to have another baby I'd defiantly think about having a reputable therapist in mind in case I needed more time off than expected. I did consider this originally but thought all would be plain sailing and my own insecurities meant I worried that I'd loose all of my customers, in hindsight I wish I had now. Hope I haven't sounded too gloomy! Just a different perspective . Good luck whatever you choose and keep us updated xxx

I am in just the same situation recently married and planning to try for a baby soon. I have enough money in the bank to cover salon costs for 12 months however I would hope to return gradually after 4 weeks. I recently employed a girl and she really took advantage and caused me a lot of hassle. That was only from a 1 week holiday.
Do I take the plunge again or just go it alone?
It's so hard when I've worked on my own for so long. Your not on your own.
My current thought is to rent to a nail tech and set up a desk etc. I'm a hairdresser. At least that way im having a little bit of income to cover rent and the salon will look open a few more days x

I wouldn't recommend you closing as this could seem unprofessional I would say to keep the salon open and find a therapist to cover, I understand that you don't trust a new therapist to do the treatments how you do them but your clients are likely to go to another therapist any way so wouldn't you rather them stay at your salon to have the treatments rather than go to another salon? As they may end up preferring another salon and you could potentially loose them whereas if you have a therapist cover your salon they will be greatfull that they don't have to go out looking for somewhere else. ( even if the new therapist isn't as good as you this could work in your favour as it will make clients appriciate how good of a therapist you are and look forward to your return.

You know your business and clients best so do what you feel is best for your business as well as yourself I'm sure whatever you do it will all work out. Good luck x

I've been in the exact same position. My baby is now 6 months and I went back part time when he was 5 weeks old. I have an employee who took over full time while I was off. I did lose clients though, I'm not doing as many hours now so I couldn't keep treating all my old clients, and not all were happy to go with the other therapist. Also paying more wages out and working less means my profits have taken a big hit. I've just managed to get my books in order and for the first time in my 8 years of self employment I'm making a loss, I have more going out than I have coming in. Be prepared to take a financial hit whether you employ or close. I also have a lady that subleases one of the rooms which helped pay my rent.

Once the baby is born your priorities will completely change. You may not want to return full time. I've found the last 6 months the most stressful time ever trying to juggle my children and the salon. However I have survived- so far! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions as I'm now an expert juggler lol x

It does take the pressure off getting in another therapist regarding paying rent but it can also be a pain especially if there work isn't up to scratch like yours. As above, you never know what your pregnancy will be like or your labour for that matter. I had 8 months off after I'd had my son. I couldn't of imagined going back to work after such a short time. The sleepless nights and recovery from my labour was exhausting and the thought that I would of had to of worked just to keep my clients ticking over would of been horrendous. I'm part time now and work 3 long days to fit everyone in. It was hard building my client base back up but after a year I'm happy with the amount of clients I've got. It's funny really the ones that you think will come back to you don't and the ones you think you could lose come back to you. Not everyone comes back to you but you may not want them all back, depending on your hours you will do when you return. Clients promise you all kinds of things but all they want you to do is there nails or what ever treatment they have. I had a regular client who I'd been doing her nails for over 10 years. She cried when I went on maternity because we got on so well and she'd even came to a birthday party of mine. We'd exchanged the odd message while on maternity. I'd even invited her to come and see me and my son while I was off. She didn't. When I messaged her close to finishing my maternity to say I'm going back to work she ignored me and I haven't seen her since. It did upset me but I'm over it now. She had been with the other therapist but wasn't happy and went else. Some clients did stay and it was nice to know where they were. Either way unfortunately it's one of them where you either miss out on spending time with your baby or your customers. I know which one I'd rather lose out on and that certainly wasn't my son. When you've got your baby in your arms nothing else matters and what will be will be regarding clients. I understand your concerns about money but it's amazing how you just cope with what you've got or coming in via maternity allowance, family etc....

Hi guys just to put a spanner in the works .... Obviously these things happen to test us. So I've been in negotiation with a premises, finances secured ... I'm 99% closer to having my own hair salon I've dreamed of. I have some clients but not all will come with me, I know that from past experiences. However I'm having health problems at the moment and to top it off could well be pregnant!!! I struggled to catch with my first and unfortunately misscarried with my second.

Would I be being ridiculously optimistic thinking I can juggle a new salon with a small child and a 10 yearold ?
[emoji15]

Nice to read other people's experiences about this. I don't have a salon but work from home in my home salon and I am pregnant and due in May. That has been one of my worries about losing clients while on maternity, therefore was planning on going back to work about a month after the baby has arrived. This may be unrealistic however!
In terms of if I had a shop, I would attempt to employ someone to cover while on maternity. I would feel if the salon was completely closed for however long, you are going to lose a lot of clients. Some clients are amazing and so loyal and would hopefully return. In my experience however, a lot are not, and unfortunately will never return after you re-open. Yes it will cost you in wages for someone to work for you, but maybe worth it as you will hopefully retain your clients. Its easier to keep clients than generate completely new ones. Its hard to find staff, but there are great therapists out there [emoji4] xx

Just came across this post as I was just about to ask the exact same thing as the original poster...
We get married next year and as I'll be 35 will be trying pretty soon after.
I'm getting stressed already about how I would manage my one treatment room premises.
I'm struggling to make ends meet at the moment and just can't see how I even afford to become pregnant.
I'm in Scotland.... does anyone know of what self employed people earn in benefits whilst pregnant (if any?!)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1491492194.888420.jpg

This is what the government website says. There are eligibility criteria listed on the site.

So I am now 26 weeks pregnant yay! I am planning on trying to work as close as my due date as I can. I am taking bookings up to 3 weeks before the due date then from then I will book my waxing clients in as and when I feel I can do them.

So far I have had a good pregnancy. I have decided I will close rather than employ as I don't want to stress about what's happening while I'm not there. Or having to sort out any problems while I'm off. I'd rather just close and try not to think about the salon. I'm hoping by the time I go off I have 6 months worth of out goings for the salon saved in the bank. I also hope to get the full maternity allowance which I should as I've been paying national insurance but just waiting to send off my claim next week.

I will see how I feel after 8 weeks and hope to go back once a week on a Saturday while my husband is off. Using my kit days for ten weeks. I will slowly add in half days/evenings after that. I find as I'll be the only one there again it'll be more flexible for me to just pop to work for afew hours not having to work around someone else as I only have one treatment room. I plan that after Xmas I'll be back in 3 days a week and hopefully will manage to fit all my clients into 3 days. I will lose afew but I'm ok with that. I get on average 5 new enquiries per week that I have to turn down so I'm thinking I'll be able to build it up if I lose more clients than expected.

All my clients have been so lovely, so I feel really lucky. I'm not worried about having time off now it's all falling into place. Pretty much all my clients have said they will wait while I'm off or just be going somewhere else for the time being but will be back. The thing is you know your business/clients better than anyone so just do what feels right for you.

I commented on this thread when it first started , I can update you all with my experience since then . I had my son in April 2015. I had a salon, 2 self employed ladies who ran their businesses from my salon and 1 employee who worked for me part time while I was off. I took 5 weeks off then had to go back to work 10 hours a week to fit in as many clients as possible to help pay the bills. Leaving the employee in charge was the biggest mistake. Clients didn't like her or wanted me and her work got sloppy without me being there to supervise and keep her right. When i returned to work I was only part time due to childcare and I was working to keep the salon open and pay wages and was taking home next to nothing. The thing that kept me going was of 'my responsibilities' towards the other ladies who worked there. I wish I had just closed the salon and spent the time with my son. My salon got flooded in December 2015 and I decided to stay closed after that. Since then I've had another baby and work from home. It's so much more flexible and works better for my circumstances. I regret the time I missed out on with my son by going back to work so quickly. And see those ladies I felt I had 'responsibility' for? I'm only still in touch with 1 of them.

I would take the time off and enjoy your baby, you won't get that time back. Your business can always be rebuilt Xx

I commented on this thread when it first started , I can update you all with my experience since then . I had my son in April 2015. I had a salon, 2 self employed ladies who ran their businesses from my salon and 1 employee who worked for me part time while I was off. I took 5 weeks off then had to go back to work 10 hours a week to fit in as many clients as possible to help pay the bills. Leaving the employee in charge was the biggest mistake. Clients didn't like her or wanted me and her work got sloppy without me being there to supervise and keep her right. When i returned to work I was only part time due to childcare and I was working to keep the salon open and pay wages and was taking home next to nothing. The thing that kept me going was of 'my responsibilities' towards the other ladies who worked there. I wish I had just closed the salon and spent the time with my son. My salon got flooded in December 2015 and I decided to stay closed after that. Since then I've had another baby and work from home. It's so much more flexible and works better for my circumstances. I regret the time I missed out on with my son by going back to work so quickly. And see those ladies I felt I had 'responsibility' for? I'm only still in touch with 1 of them.

I would take the time off and enjoy your baby, you won't get that time back. Your business can always be rebuilt Xx

See I don't think all businesses can be re built.. What happened with your lease? I love your thinking and wish I could stay at home when I have another baby but I can't forsee me finding about 25k to fund it xx

This is exactly why I will close and come back part time to suit me. This is what I would be scared of happening when I was off. Luckily my running costs including lease are fairly low and I will have saved in the bank so I'm covered for 6 months. Xx

Latest posts

Back