What to do....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginahhrose

Reaction score
Not sure if ime posting this in the right place but i didnt think it belonged in the nail section.

I recently got my first job in a beauty salon which i was very exctied about until i started. My boss is still in college doing level three, so weve both learnt things at pretty much the same time, except ive only got exams left and shes not evan done practical assesments yet. Her apprentice is on level two but tells me to do things like ive got no idea what ime doing, such as facials which she hasnt evan covered yet.

Yesterday she did me a set of fx gels and she pretty much filed most of my natural nail of :( she was trying to tell me how to prep the nail and paint it and stuff, when she knows ime a qualified nail tech so i obviously now these things. They also file this off as they say this is what you do, but there soak off?

My boss also doesnt use products correctly in facials, she buys what she needs and then 'mix and matches' the products depending what she has left, instead of a certain product for the clients skin type.

My boss has already cancelled some of my days, hasnt spoke to me about wages or how shes paying me, ive only worked three full days in two weeks, and i dont like how she doesnt use products properly and miss's things out because there not needed when they are.

Sorry for the long post but i really want advice on what to do... do i find another job straight away or stick it out to get experience for a few months then find a new one after summer?

really dont know what to do :(
xxxxxxxxxx

It sounds like your getting a pretty rough deal! Ask your boss for a 1 to 1 meeting/chat. Discuss your pay,hours and anything else that tour not happy with then maybe give it a trial period, if it doesn't change I'd move on.

Hope it gets better for you :)

thanks, ill try that :) xxx

It sounds as though you are more proffessional than the salon you are in. Ive been in this situation and its soul destroying. I walked after 6 weeks. I didnt want to associate myself with unproffessionalism. I was concerned I would be judged by the standards of my peers.....maybe time for a rethink? xx

It sounds as though you are more proffessional than the salon you are in. Ive been in this situation and its soul destroying. I walked after 6 weeks. I didnt want to associate myself with unproffessionalism. I was concerned I would be judged by the standards of my peers.....maybe time for a rethink? xx

thats exactly what it is!!! :( dont wanna sound bigheaded but yeah i think i am :/ there isnt evan a staff area so we end up eating infront of clients, she uses strip waxes for brazilians and hollywoods (feel for them clients!!!) and her apprentice filed over my nails about 500000 times before she put the gel on :( she doesnt dehydrate nails because primer does the same thing?!

definetly re thinking but ive left my old job were i was on about £80 a week for this :( xxxx

No disrespect to your boss or your colleaugues but this sounds like an example of a salon that is being ran by people who haven't thought it through first.

Argh. This sort of thing infuriates me!! My old boss wouldn't let me do treatments on a Friday (God only knows why as this is generally a busy day?!) and she never had enough products on time for treatments, wasn't a therapist herself and employed me as head therapist but wouldn't listen to me? Needless to say I left after 3 months.

I did try to stick it out for the experience but felt far too 'good'? For that place. Glad I moved on. Now have a growing mobile business and I'm happy :) x

I feel for you. I have been in a similar situation. I would find somewhere else. Apart from anything else it will bring you down and you will dread going into work if you don't already!
I always feel if you are not happy where you are it reflects in your work. You sound as if you have a high professional standard so stick with it. If it were me i would have a meeting with your boss, raise your concerns and if nothing changes or you feek she hasnt listened then hand your notice in. I would also look for somewhere else anyway as she sounds as if she is set in her ways and wont change or wont listen to you. Life is too short!
As for the nails, well........i cant believe she feels the need to tell how to do your job! Also why all the buffing?!! Do your own next time lol! Just think, where do you want to be in a years time? It doesnt sound worth you being there, just have a look around, im sure you will find something alot better than where you are now. X
Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Thanks guys, ime already doing cover letters and updating my cv now. total nightmare :( just wish i hadnt left my old job for this :(

just gotta try and get hold of her now to have a chat!!

xxxx

Thanks guys, ime already doing cover letters and updating my cv now. total nightmare :( just wish i hadnt left my old job for this :(

just gotta try and get hold of her now to have a chat!!

xxxx

Good luck :)

I hope it goes well because it sounds like the advice you want to give her will be very helpful so I hope it is appreciated :)

Good luck :)

I hope it goes well because it sounds like the advice you want to give her will be very helpful so I hope it is appreciated :)

thanks, trying to get hold of her is a nightmare tho!! ¬_¬ xxxx

Latest posts

Back