What to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traciecheeky

Reaction score
I will keep this as short as I can! Apologies in advance!
So I’ve just received a message from my boss basically saying hours are going to be cut and possible let go off staff due to the coronavirus. I haven’t been let go yet, but I need to think of a back up plan of what to do next..
salons everywhere at the moment especially in my area are struggling, which is understandable due to the economy. I have always wanted to be self employed. I’m aware I would need to get insurance, guidance from council etc before I even start. I don’t drive so I wouldn’t be able to go mobile. And I live in a small terrace house. And I literally only have my living room to offer treatments.
my main question is, would people actually come to have treatments in my living room, rather than in a salon? I don’t personally believe people honestly would come and sit at my dining table to have their nails done?
This is only my second year into the industry and really don’t seem to have much luck!!!
Any advice, comments, feedback, etc would be greatly appreciated! X

I personally wouldn’t go to a therapists house and sit in the living room. I would go to a cabin in the garden though. I have been to 2 houses in the past for treatments, I didn’t like going through the house as it felt like their own private space. What about renting a room in a hairdressers or gym etc? 😀

Ordinarily, yes, some clients often enjoy the privacy of having treatments done in a home setting, especially when it’s nicely set up.

However, I think the virus is making clients very cautious and that’s why they’re staying away from salons at the moment. I think if they’re not visiting salons, they’re also less likely to book into a home salon.

You have been very unlucky but everything changes and the situation will improve again in time. If you do find yourself stuck at home, maybe use some of the time to learn new skills, reading up on running your own business or whatever interests you. Look ahead to your future, because it will turn around and you can be ready for when it does.

Thank you for your honest feedback. I spoke to my boss today and we’re all issued with a meeting on the 14th. She has said to prepare for the worst as they were talking about selling the salon. I have spoken to quite a few of my clients regarding my situation and they all Said they would Still come to my house for treatments they don’t care where it is as long as I can still do their nails! I may take this time to do some more studying, and more research on what to do next until I have a more definite answer. Renting out a room isn’t a option for me as there isn’t anything available around my area and ideally I would like to keep my overall costs down, but I do appreciate your opinion :) x

Hi, just a thought....you don't have to rent a room or nail bar space full time. If you already have regulars why not try to rent just 2 days a week to start off with and see how it goes?

I actually worked from my kitchen for like 6 years. It was open plan with my lounge in my last homeput a ceiling height curtain up between lounge and work zones. My clients loved it! I really miss it as my room is too restrictive and I’m leaving all the time to wash hands or get water.

I am so minimalist it literally was an empty kitchen with a kettle, a tv and a sofa. My beauty stuff was pretty minimal too just folded up couch at the end of the day.

The thing is it’s one thing for a client to walk through the house and then being able to shut the door and take off your mask...but to have them in your main room...it will need a lot of working out. Eg time room is unoccupied after client leaves to allow droplets to fall onto surfaces so you can clean them, or being able to hoover and blow germs into the air and onto clean surfaces from their feet, only sweep (disposable shoe covers). That’s the bit Id be concerned about.

You can make anywhere pretty and relaxing but say you worked in Tescos...you couldn’t take your mask off and put your feet up and eat dinner when doing your food shop once the customers all leave, any germs will still be in the air for hours and have fallen onto your floors and surfaces ready to be walked into bedrooms.

Totally doable but you need a way to avoid being in there after you’ve worked for a while and airing it out. Like if it’s at the front of the house, and a family member had to walk through it to get home after a client has left or to use the loo or go make dinner. I don’t think a client would care because for them the risk is no different, but to you it’s a lot higher in that situation.

Hi traceycheeky ,

Sorry to hear about your news, it's not looking good for many businesses and mine's not thriving either.

Working from home will be doable, with some entrance and room division if you can arrange it. Could you create an family living room in another area of your house, so that the room you work from is exclusively for business? Then the door can be closed to the other household members.

I worked from a front room , and my husband and children used the back room and tiny kitchen as our dedicated space for around 14 years. Moved house and it became a lot better.

Clients entered the front door and family used the back door.

Toilet , out of bounds unless absolutely necessary.

You could offer mobile for your evening clients or clients that live alone where there home set up could be covid secure. ( I am only doing 1 mobile - she has a very clean house, lives alone, doesn't go out, windows open ....perfect really )

I use aerosol anti viral spray that is suitable for soft and hard surfaces which is sprayed liberally in my area and entrance hall. Two windows always open, I know it's getting colder but it's what we have to do.

No out door shoes allowed in the salon..I provide white clean socks for them if they come with bare feet. Belongings in a tray so that they don't spread all their stuff everywhere.
I am sure you can work something out. Where there's a will there's a way.

HTH

I have a salon at home in a spare large bedroom. I always did ok before COVID and right now I am doing exactly the same. Clients ar actually very comfortable coming to my home for treatments as I live alone so they feel safer. I keep the windows open in the treatment room and bathroom 24/7 so it's well aired.

Naturally like everyone else I am concerned about the virus, but as all PPE is in place and I have a good cleaning regime, the risks are eliminated as much as possible.

i would say go for it, you already say you have clients willing to visit. Make a area in your home where you can, make it practical and then dress it up Abit. It's honestly the best decision I made in a long time.

Oh wow thank you for all you’re replies! 😀 I’m going to carry on working at the salon until I hear any different. At the moment I’m in the process of redecorating my house- so it won’t be yet anyway. My house is tiny! So I have a small area right near the front door that I was thinking of using when it comes to it. It’s hard to know what is going to come out of this COVID situation but I will play it by ear and see how it all plans out then I know how to go about it. But thank you for all you’re feedback!! X

So just a update...
I’m going to be made redundant. I Have to speak to area management on Wednesday to get full details. But I have spoken to my boss and she would like to rehire me once all the COVID stuff calms down, she just can’t afford to keep me on at the moment. She has asked me to cover some shifts which the other staff can’t cover which I was happy to do. So fingers crossed I will still be able to come back if the salon doesn’t close down. I’m going to take this opportunity to practise on skills I’m not confident at (threading, eyelashes and makeup) while i still can and possibly look into getting another skill. Thank you to all that replied :) x

Latest posts

Back