What to say to people who insist "superglue is fine for nails"?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphine

Reaction score
I'm on a non-nail discussion forum, and this topic came up. All these ladies popped up talking about how using superglue for repairs is fine, and myself and another nail tech came on to say that superglue shouldn't be used on nails, that 1) nail adhesive should be used rather than superglue, and 2) any repairs should ideally be done by your nail tech unless it's just a very short term measure.

So now I have a dozen ladies chewing me out for saying superglue isn't safe for nail/skin use. Some quotes:

Why so appalled? They're made of the same stuff. Superglue (cyanoacrylate) was originally used to treat flesh wounds. By all means don't believe me; look it up or talk to a medic.

The gel/liquid/powder used to make fake nails is the same stuff.

For the shocked nailtech:

wikipedia quote:
"Some rock climbers use cyanoacrylate to repair damage to the skin on their fingertips. Similarly, stringed-instrument players can form protective finger caps (in addition to calluses) with cyanoacrylates.[citation needed]

CA glue was in veterinary use for mending bone, hide, and tortoise shell by at least the early 1970s.[citation needed] The inventor of cyanoacrylates, Harry Coover, said in 1966 that a CA spray was used in the Vietnam War to ******* bleeding in wounded soldiers until they could be brought to a hospital. Butyl cyanoacrylate has been used medically since the 1970s outside the US, but due to its potential to irritate the skin, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration did not approve its use as a medical adhesive until 1998 with Dermabond.[3] Research has demonstrated the use of cyanoacrylate in wound closure as being safer and more functional than traditional suturing.[4] The adhesive has demonstrated superior performance in the time required to close a wound, incidence of infection (suture canals through the skin's epidermal, dermal, and subcutaneous fat layers introduce extra routes of contamination),[4] and final cosmetic appearance.[5][6]"

Cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enceclopedia Britannica:

cyanoacrylate adhesives (in cyanoacrylate (chemistry))
any of a number of cyanoacrylic esters that quickly cure to form a strong adhesive bond. Materials of this group, marketed as contact adhesives under such trade names as Super Glue and Krazy Glue, bond almost instantly to a variety of surfaces, including metal, plastic, and glass. Because they adhere strongly to skin, they are also employed by surgeons for closing incisions and by morticians

Super Glue (adhesive) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

Seriously, superglue is fine.

Anything I can say to counter this? I understood nail adhesives had to go through more rigourous testing because it was for use on skin. Am I wrong here, or is cyanoacrylate = cyanoacrylcate?

Yes, there is allot you can say because they are only half right and way wrong.

There are several distinct types of Cyanoacrylate. Among them there is your
Super glue and other similar industrial adhesives which are METHYL Cyanoacrylate
Breaks down easily in water (actually attracts moisture to it, causing green nails)
Carcinogenic
Unrefined
Industrial
Not to be used on the human body
Not suitable for porous surfaces

And then there are your medical grade types of Cyanoacrylate as used by dentists, doctors, etc and made to be used on the human body which are
ETHYL cyanoacrylate and highly refined as you would expect.
Do not break down easily in water
Non-carcinogenic
Highly refined medical grade
suitable to use on the human body
developed to be used on porous surfaces

Professional nail adhesives are EC or Ethyl Cyanoacrylate.

I hope this helps you ... perhaps those on the other forum should come here to learn the facts that they should definitely know if they are calling themselves professionals.

Last edited:
Thank you Gigi! I just didn't want to get into a contest with them and get stuck by giving them the wrong information. You are a star, as usual!!

Oh, just to be fair - there was only one other nail tech on that forum (it's a general discussion forum) and she agreed with me about not using superglue. The rest of the commenters were not nail techs, just people who did their own repairs and couldn't see why superglue wouldn't be just fine.

It's fine line... sometimes you want to educate people and other times you want to bang your head against the wall.

I have a friend who doesnt understand all this too!
I had said the other day I was mega busy that day at work and didnt even get a break all day I was that busy. Her reply was "come on how hard is it glueing pieces of plastic onto folks nails" I said I dont glue any sort of plastic onto nails I use a special adhesive to adhere a tip on. She said "so yeah exactly what I said you glue plastic on"
It was the kind of conversation that no matter what you said you were never going to come out the winner! As she used to get her nails done and use glue to stick them back on if one broke off!

If only our job was that easy eh!

uh nope youre wrong

Ethyl cyanoacrylate (ECA), a cyanoacrylate ester, is an ethyl ester of 2-cyano-2-propenoic acid. It is a colorless liquid with low viscosity. It is the main component of cyanoacrylate glues and can be encountered under many trade names. Super glue and Krazy glue are believed to be virtually 100% ECA.[1]

uh nope youre wrong

Ethyl cyanoacrylate (ECA), a cyanoacrylate ester, is an ethyl ester of 2-cyano-2-propenoic acid. It is a colorless liquid with low viscosity. It is the main component of cyanoacrylate glues and can be encountered under many trade names. Super glue and Krazy glue are believed to be virtually 100% ECA.[1]

And? You're not exactly proving Geeg's answer wrong are you?! 'Believed to be...' Uummm. Also, notice the word 'grade' that was used in the reply. This is rather relevant. There are many products that come under the 'super glue' term some will be ethyl and some will be methyl cyanoacrylates. A nail adhesive is always a high grade ethyl cyanoacrylate that is safe to be used on the skin. Methyl cyanoacrylate and a low grade ethyl cyanoacrylate is NOT.

I accept all the scientific evidence that has been put forward and don't disagree with it.

But - I would use any kind of glue I could get my hands on to mend a broken nail until I could fix it properly. There's not much I wouldn't do to save my nails from breaking.

Jacqui xx

i just opened a bottle of 'nail glue' that i got free (from ebay, i know, i just wanted a few cane pieces to play about with lol). so i opened it and it STUNK of super glue!! then sprouted all over my finger :( real nail adhesive doesn't drop everywhere, it's a bit thicker i reckon. lucky i only opened it to see what it was like :/ x

In a nutshell...though ingredients appear to be the same, they, indeed, are not. Different "grades" are used to make different products. I'm sure some of these same ingredients are listed in the adhesive used on the Space Shuttle but we certainly wouldn't use THAT adhesive on our nails.

Yes, there is allot you can say because they are only half right and way wrong.

There are several distinct types of Cyanoacrylate. Among them there is your
Super glue and other similar industrial adhesives which are METHYL Cyanoacrylate
Breaks down easily in water (actually attracts moisture to it, causing green nails)
Carcinogenic
Unrefined
Industrial
Not to be used on the human body
Not suitable for porous surfaces

And then there are your medical grade types of Cyanoacrylate as used by dentists, doctors, etc and made to be used on the human body which are
ETHYL cyanoacrylate and highly refined as you would expect.
Do not break down easily in water
Non-carcinogenic
Highly refined medical grade
suitable to use on the human body
developed to be used on porous surfaces

Professional nail adhesives are EC or Ethyl Cyanoacrylate.

I hope this helps you ... perhaps those on the other forum should come here to learn the facts that they should definitely know if they are calling themselves professionals.

Ohhhh can I please quote you on my facebook? I'd love to share this tidbit with some hardheaded (albeit, young) clients that drive me BONKERS insisting on repairing or GLUING back on the nails they've popped off.:rolleyes:
WHICH I, of course, soak off to redo which frustrates them because they're trying to avoid a repair charge :grr:
(PS: I can never rememeber the chemistry when they are sitting in front of me, to explain it, without digging out Doug's book...)

One of my clients had her nails done by a 'friend' who had run out of nail glue, so she used WOOD glue instead!! It's not all the same lol as my client found out when her nails started burning. You just can't tell some people!

Can just add, I worked with a hairdresser who used stick on nails for years & sometimes used glue! She now has no nails to speak of they are disgusting shrivelled stumps which have to be built up to look normal, so yeah lovely, what a great idea to use super glue, knock yourselves out. lol

Seraphine- thank you so much for asking this question.
I love these sort of threads.

Don't forget the lovely people who decide it's a good idea to glue free edge lifting back together and then come back in with a discoloured nail that they made a nice dark, moist new breeding ground for by using glue! yuck

In all my years behind the nail desk, the 2 worst cases I ever saw of nail damage (actually nails that looked like they were rotting) were caused by the continual wearing of stick on nails that they had done themselves using .. super glue!

The nails were rotten with a bacterial infection on the surface and fungal infection beneath and she and I worked on them for over one and a half years to get them to finally grow through.

She had a job where it was important that her nails looked good because they were on show to allot of important clients. So we had to enhance them through all this rottenness underneath and treat the fungal infection as well .. It cost her a fortune in weekly appointments for all that time.

Finally her own nails started to slowly come through clean and healthy and, how silly, she had the most beautiful long nail beds and really had never needed to go the route she had with the false stick ons. It all started with a couple opf breaks and a couple of stickons and the nightmare began.

SHE saw first hand what using Super glue could do to nails and it cost her very dearly. I wouldn't suggest anyone try it.

The other case was similar but fortunately had only got to the bacterial infection stage but nearly all black from covering the infection up with falsies and super glue to hide it .. because she thought adhesives were all the same. No they are not.

I agree with the above. But just to add, i find that the majority of clients that superglue their nails back on don't sanitize them properly (if at all) and so even if the type of glue wasn't a problem they just create the perfect environment for spreading bacteria! eugh!
x

Latest posts

Back