What to say?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

girlie

Reaction score
Hi all,wonder if you might be able to help me with something??

I have been a mobile nail tech the last few years,but will be opening my home salon (garage conversion) in September and working school hours.Due to this I will be losing a few clients who are unable to come to me.

Anyhow,a few clients have stated they are gonna try to do their own uv gel nails "like my friend at work does" by using cheap gels from eBay.I have told them this can be risky as uncertainty of ingredients etc and also dangers of incorrect curing.

Can anyone give me a more specific wording of the risks,for example the differences in pro and non pro products and testing etc?

Many thanks xx

Last edited:
I would print of some photos of when it can go wrong, there's a couple of photos on here of poor girls whose faces had swelled up....I think a visual warning sinks in better than words.

You could also point out that incorrect curing and poor application (such as getting it on the skin repeatedly) is far more likely to lead to an allergic reaction which can often mean that you will never be able to wear gel nails.

Personally I wouldn't bother. I'd just wish them luck!

Vic x

They probably wouldn't listen anyway so I don't think I would bother to say anything, if they've made that decision, I doubt you will change their minds

You may find that they give up easily and come back to you, others may do ok and keep doing their own nails

I know of a fair few girls that have been having their nails done by professionals and then thought oh I can do this myself and brought everything off eBay and are amazed how cheap they can get everything, it's a shame but there's nothing anyone can do about it! X

Let them do whatever tbh I wouldn't care enough to warn ppl like these lol

Thanks all,sent her this...hope mostly correct!?

Hi hun,glad your nails are good :)

Just be careful buying cheap non professional products on eBay,as sadly in China and some other countries,they do not undergo the thorough industry safety testing as pro products we know and trust here! Looking on the bottle should give you the manufacturers trading details,so you can research their credentials.

Another point to bear in mind is that China are well known for their laws on always animal testing on cosmetics.

As I also mentioned, incorrect UV/led lamps for the gel brand can often result in incorrect curing of the gels,resulting in contact dermatitis...this is a very common problem with people doing their own nails and not having had training...sadly on the increase due to the counterfeit brands so cheap on ebay! When somebody has such an allergic reaction,they are then extremely sensitive to all UV gel/acrylic products and likely to never be able to have that product on again! Some of the images of people I've seen with reactions is frightening!!

If these products were safe we nail techs would use them and make a lot more profit! But UK insurers will not cover any work undertaken using them...says a lot!

It similar to hairdressing...anyone can buy a cheap box dye and have a go,but your hairdresser has spent a lot of time and money training to understand the skill and risks involved!

Hope this helps a little? Be careful xxx

Latest posts

Back