What training is best for nails biters???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini260462

Reaction score
Hi, I would like peoples thoughts on what training would suite me best. I have no previous experience and have recently started having my nails done again after a not so nice experience a few years ago! I had a set of backscratchers put on as I wanted them for holiday, they were very white tips and clear with a fantastic shine and I and everyone else loved them! But my daughters who are only 11 & 12 also had their nails done(acrylic) while we were on holiday which again looked great, especially for the 12 year old as she bites her nails. I figure it would be cheaper to learn the art myself than to pay £150++ per month for 3 of us to have our nails done. So I really need to know which would be the best method to start with to stop my 12 year old biting her nails? Her acrylics starded to drop off after about 2 weeks I guess they'd needed filling quite regular too - so I have called a few respectable places mentioned through this forum and everyone says their system is what I am looking for! That includes acrylic, gels and backscratchers! So I am lost now :sad:

Hi, I am using the Backscratchers Extreme (dipping method). Is that what you had?

How long did they last you?

Lots of places do training, you just have to find a place that suits your pocket and a system that you think you could master.

Yes I had the tip and dip they were very american looking which I love! I had them filled in USA with gel as they didn't know what they were! I still have them on now but they need filling again!

Hi, can I ask how long have this set been on for? Some people have said that Backscratchers is better for short term wear, rather than weeks, what do you think?

Thanks

I am prepared to pay for quality training but in what specialty is my problem? Is there a prefered method/style or system that people use for nails biters? ie is acrylic better than gel, or would backscratchers be quicker an simpler to start with. I don't want to do more damage than good!

Having over 15yrs experience with a "tip&dip" system, and 3 with UV Gel, and after reading all that I have (meaning: learned all that I have from THIS site lol).....And after having reformed several biters...... My personaly opinion would be L&P or UV Gel would be better.

Biters are notoriously 'hard' on their hands, as they've never had nails. When you have nails, you use your hands differently. I don't need to explain that, I'm sure.
Even biters that are determined to reform and sincere in their efforts will experience a LOT of breakage/lift in the beginning BECAUSE
A) they must learn to use their hands differently
B) their fingers will still unconciously find their way into their mouths and pressure will be applied.

L&P & UV Gel (in my opinion) are stronger. I don't feel that it will cause 'more' damage to pick one type of system off, more than another. They're all made to stick, and will ALL leave damage if pried/picked/chewed off.

But even with the strongest system or methods.. I find it's more how you handle/deal/help a biter, than what system you use.
The approach I find that works best with my "biters" is this:
HONESTY
As a former biter myself, I KNOW what we do. I tell them this. I tell them how I know how hard it is to stop. I tell them how I was just as bad in the beginning, picking at them myself, etc... Using examples to show that I really do understand.
How sometimes the temptation is just too great to bite/pick/pry off the enhancements. I make it clear that I CAN and WILL know if this has been done and that they do not just 'fall off'. I even explain how I know, and why it leaves damage where "falling off" wouldn't (meaning: if they're stuck, they'll rip off layers. If they are "unsticking" on their own, then they won't rip off layers because they weren't stuck. Simple logic really.) I explain that I want to help them. That I know they can do this. That they may trip up now and then. That's ok. It happens. We'll fix whatever has been done and kick this devil together..

In the beginning, I treated biters the same as other clients. It didn't work. They really needed that extra chatting, and explaining. They needed to know that NO, I won't berate them for slipping. That I do understand.

Right now I have about 8 reformed biters. They are doing FANTASTIC. None are picking/biting/prying anymore. They are my best clients and my biggest fans, referring clients left and right.

So, back to the original question: while L&P or UV gel might be strongest (because they have to learn how to use their hands differently), it's more in the approach and the support that makes the difference, I think.

hth's

PS: and when they come in for a refill, make sure to congratulate them and tell them "hey, you're doing GREAT! look how much they're growing?? in no time, they'll be yours" etc etc" And for any picking or breaks "it's ok, we'll fix it. You'll get the hang of it. I know you can".
It's important to give them that boost and praise them when they do well.

sorry for hijacking the thread, but wow victoria just wanted to say, thats a brilliant way of dealing with the biters, i have a girl who modelled for me, who has tiny beds, then became a biter (due to awful circumstances that occured) and now she says, when i stop it and they get better, i will come and see you for manicure etc, i never know how to handle her or what to say, but i think i will try your angle, being sympathetic and giving praise where needed etc, and see how this works, funny how something so simple can be right infront of your eyes but you need to hear it or see it from someone else eh

ta
nicky xxx

I've had the backscratchers on since 13.06.07 the whites were put on quite deep as my nails grow pretty fast and like I said, they need filling again now (or coming off)!

Hi, I would like peoples thoughts on what training would suite me best. I have no previous experience and have recently started having my nails done again after a not so nice experience a few years ago! I had a set of backscratchers put on as I wanted them for holiday, they were very white tips and clear with a fantastic shine and I and everyone else loved them! But my daughters who are only 11 & 12 also had their nails done(acrylic) while we were on holiday which again looked great, especially for the 12 year old as she bites her nails. I figure it would be cheaper to learn the art myself than to pay £150++ per month for 3 of us to have our nails done. So I really need to know which would be the best method to start with to stop my 12 year old biting her nails? Her acrylics starded to drop off after about 2 weeks I guess they'd needed filling quite regular too - so I have called a few respectable places mentioned through this forum and everyone says their system is what I am looking for! That includes acrylic, gels and backscratchers! So I am lost now :sad:

Hi

I myself am a nailbiter and I do my own nails so I feel that I can answer this best. I use the creative opaque powders, these are great but you will need to do a course to buy there products. This course is well worth the money as creative is very well known and I think this is the best make (and I have tried quite a few). You can make your nail beds as long as you want with these opaque powders, and they offer 3 different colours depending on your skin colour, I tend to use the neutral colour as this is the middle colour. Your nail beds will look so long and lovely. I have such small nailbeds and would give anything to have lovely long nail beds, now I can have them. Hope that this helps. Thanks. Abicrunch

My opinion is that I don't think any training would suit you best really...you say you figured it would be cheaper to learn the art yourself than paying out each month...personally I don't think that is a great reason for wanting to do nails...while I appreciate you want to be able to do your daughters nails properly and you are looking into a course...I dont think you fully appreciate that doing nails is actually not easy...it is not just a case of doing a course and then you can successfully do nails...you will need to do many courses, dedicate alot of time to practice and research etc...you would then need to gain experience to eventually be able to successfully apply a set of nails that not only look nice but last as well....and that is just for starters...tackling a nail biters nails requires further skill.

If you actually want to become a nail technician then great that you are looking into what course would be best and best of luck to you, but if as you say you are just wanting to learn how to do nails so that you can save yourself money then I think you should think harder...it would cost you alot of money to be trained as a nail technician..I cant imagine you would really save any money by paying out for training just to do your daughters nails.

Also, I think your daughter..given her age and mainly being a nail biter did quite well to keep her nails on for 2 weeks...many nail biters will have the whole lot off within a few days! I would suggest she just has a short overlay over her own nails to start with..this will help protect her nails and let them grow out and it wouldn't take long either!

Last edited:
Um .... this thread is 2 1/2 years old. I think the op will have sorted training out by now lol.

Latest posts

Back