What type of music (if any) do you play during a treatment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

I've had a look around for some information regarding PRS for you so that you have the facts, and this is what it says on their leaflet:

Why do I need a PRS Music Licence?
By law under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, if you use copyright music in public (i.e. outside of the home), you must first obtain permission from every writer or composer whose music you intend to play. This means you would have to contact thousands of music creators to obtain their agreement to play their songs in your business or organisation. But to make things easy, The Performing Right Society (PRS) was set up by songwriters, composers and music publishers to manage these rights on their behalf. So a PRS Music Licence grants you the legal permission to play millions of songs, saving you the time and money needed to gain permission from the music creators directly. This will allow you to play music on your premises live or by any recorded means – for example radio, CD, TV, jukebox, or via the Internet.
What happens if I don’t obtain a PRS Music Licence?
As it is a legal requirement to gain permission from the music creator to play their music outside of the home, if you continue to play copyright music without a PRS Music Licence you may have to pay costs or damages if PRS has to take legal action.
What music does PRS control?
Virtually all the songs you will hear on the radio, TV, CDs, online, etc, are covered by a PRS Music Licence, including songs from overseas. PRS has agreements with societies from all over the world where royalties will be collected on each other’s behalf. Therefore no matter what country the music played on your premises originates from, a PRS Music Licence has you covered.
But don’t I already have a licence to cover my music use?
Although you may possess other licences, your PRS Music Licence is entirely separate to your TV licence and to your PPL licence (PPL is the representative body for record companies and performers). A PRS Music Licence is required regardless of any other type of licence you may own.
How much will a PRS Music Licence cost?
The cost of a PRS Music Licence can depend on various factors:
•The type of the premises.
•The size of the premises.
•The nature and extent to which music is used.
Some pricing information is available on our website, please visit Welcome to the MCPS-PRS Alliance. To get an accurate quote please call us on 0800 068 4828.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Latest posts

Back