What was everyones job before beauty/nails/make up/hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkle'n'shine

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyones job was before and why then went into beauty nails make up etc?

i taught textile art.
in my way distant past i was a fully trained florist.

I was/am an electrical engineer working finding and repairing faults on underground cable networks for EON i still do a bit of work for them, I met Dawn who has been involved in spray tanning since Noah was a boy !! and was asked by her then employers to carry out some tests/repairs on spray tan machine s that were constantly burning out,she was so impressed ... A few years later we set up on our own and the rest is history

Chef, baker and cake decorator.
I also did my cert ed with intentions of teaching catering rather than doing it.

Have worked in various pubs, clubs, bakeries, nursing homes and teaching people to cook for people recovering from mental illness - all in the catering departments.

Kneading bread is VERY similar to kneading muscles.

and, I love watching cookery programmes and annoucing to the husband what they are going to do next/the reason why they are doing something/tutting when they do something wrong!

I worked in a laboratory making soft contact lenses.

I had always been very interested in anything beauty related,but had my children quite young so I had to wait until they were of an age where I could do the training involved without feeling like I was depriving them of a mother ;).

Anyway,that was a long time ago, they are well and truely grown up now and I am doing what I always wanted to do.:D

I was a receptionist in a house of ill repute!!! :D

Good thread:D Wow, I had a shocking amount of jobs before a trained to do beauty, some of them are:

Selling double glazing (only lasted 3 days though as I felt bad calling people at home and disturbing them!!)

Worked in Harvester(lasted 1 night, couldn't take the pace and could only carry one plate at a time!!!)

Worked in a betting shop-left after a week as I had no idea what was going on, and how odds work etc. Also my boss was crazily obese, sweaty, pervy and constantly asked me to make him cups of tea:irked:

I must add that all of these were part time jobs while I was at college/uni!!!

After that I worked as a cabin crew member for 4 years until I decided to retrain as a beauty therapist-best decision EVER!!

Kim xx

I have done a fair few jobs considering I am not even 30 yet!

I started off as a switchboard operator for Fords and then Peugeot. I then had my first daighter and as she got older took part time and night work in a Chinese restaurant ( I can carry lots of plates at once lol ;)) I then met my now husband, and began working within his business as a secretary. We opened a bigger place ourselves and I have been his secretary on/off for 9 years. In that time I have also been a corsetier/gown maker, an exotic mammal and reptile rescue centre ( privately run and funded by hubby's wallet lol ) and now, alongside my training in nail enhancements, I am about to embark on a marine biology course followed by zoololgy. I have also in the last 9 years got a diploma in adult psychology!!!!

Busy little bee me ;)

Well, I spent 20 years in the advertising industry working at the beginning for local newspapers, then moved on to Yellow Pages & then into national magazines selling to major ad agencies in London.
I did quite alot of travelling as you can imagine, finally before I came into nails, I worked as an advertisiement rep in radio - selling radio commercials. In a nutshell CV from me!

It has given me a massive understanding of how to promote & market my own business, not only from wording adverts, but all my printed matter, customer service, speaking to clients & potential clients & understanding what people look for when they are searching for something therefore enabling me to understand how to market my business to the right target audience.

It also enables me to get rid of people ringing up trying to sell me stuff!

I was and still am a bookkeeper! Only doing it 2 days a week tho and a mother the rest of the time!!

I was a packaging designer, designed stuff for the likes of kodak, next, boots, waterford crystal, wedgwood and Johnson & Johnson to name but a few.

I worked in a shop for years on/off. It was my parents and they sold it some years back.
I worked as a receptionist for a few years and started a buisness selling lingerie. I then went into care work in the community for a year, went onto work in a very small home for severly disabled adults for another year. Both jobs were part time. I then worked in a Womens Refuge for 5y. I wound down the lingerie business around 2y ago as it worked along side my other jobs.
Now i wax, wax and wax and i love it. I have taken a few other courses and on a couple of courses. Still undecided if i will use my new found knowledge in my business yet, lol

Primary School teacher :)

Gp Surgery receptionist for 8 years x x

Benefit advisor for 4 years

Barmaid for 5 years

During that time I also did 2 years at art college & 1 year doing complimentary therapy at college.

well i must be really boring hairdressing has been my one and only job for 16 years! oh i used to pick conkers off my nans lawn for 20p, does that count?
:lol:

I worked on a cheese counter lol. I did actualy enjoy the job though which is the funny thing!!!x

I worked in a admin role at a company that scans vouchers from newspapers..
Boring and stressful at times, felt like I was doing nothing with my life there.

How interesting!

My Saturday job at school was in a shop but then I ran away to Italy and lived it up as an au-pair, then was a kindergarten teacher for a few years, then set up evening classes teaching English.

Somehow I then spent rather a long time in the pharmaceutical industry, which everyone thought was bizarre as I've always believed that nature provides and refuse to take anything myself.

Anyway, I'm now at the complete opposite end of the spectrum with holistics and loving every day. Feel like I've finally found the job for me. Do miss my corporate salary though!!!

I'm a salon owner rather than a beauty practitioner so do I qualify, lol?

I was a duty manager at Heathrow before working as behavioural change consultant and then becoming a foot health professional. Don't ask me how!

Take care, MrsMac

Latest posts

Back