What were you in a previous life?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what was/is your job before becoming a nail geek?

• In Insurance?

Votes: 16 3.4%
  • The Management?

Votes: 79 17.0%
  • ln the office?

Votes: 240 51.6%
  • Housewife?

Votes: 119 25.6%
  • Funeral Director?

Votes: 11 2.4%

• Total voters
Sawasdee kha

After i go from school i went to Bangkok look for work in resturant i serve food after i go work with mama and papa building house asfter 3 day i could not work work too hard i then work in motor bike parts check i had problem with boyfriend him have 2 lady i come phuket i work auntie beauty salon i clean shop and learn foot massage 50 hour school and make hair and then i make beauty salon and learn every thing and nail .

Kop khun kha mui

I guess that would have been when I was an embryo LOL! .....because I have always done nails, since out of high school. I did do other things along with doing nails, such as I worked for a distributor of beauty supplies in Atlanta, Ga, then I was in medical sales, then went back to nails full time again over two years ago. Now I run my own salon.

Leigh Ann
Your Nail Pro

We have a few plants in our area owned by the huge chicken master, TYSON CHICKEN. You know how you go into the local grocery store and you can purchase chicken in the nice sealed packages all cut already for you. Well I was just arrived in the USA and no skills and no English and my first job was working 3rd shift on the chicken plant processing line. Kill them, pluck them, gut them, cut them, clean them, package them, load up by the thousands into the trucks for transport to the grocery stores.
Really a terrible job, low pay, hard work, dirty, smelly,,,, ahhhhh.
Years later, when I worked my first week as a nail tech, I remembered that terrible terrible lowest of jobs and thanked my lucky stars for my new easy wonderful nail tech job.
Say did you guys want to see what my NailDragon used to look like
picken.gif

and
what he now looks like
picfunnyguy.gif

you know
for he and I
for most things, we can say
Been There, Done That
OLLIE
You cant always get what ya want
Ya cant always get what ya want
but sometimes ya know, even if slow
YOU GET WHAT YA NEED

I'm still trying to shake my 'other job' off! I'm a Personal Assistant/Marketing Manager to a Managing Director of a Taiwanese company. Part of my job entails creating flyer leaflets...... which comes in handy for my nail business! :D

hi everyone :D
i have really enjoyed reading about your 'past lives' :D
i myself was a midwife for seventeen years but got disillusioned with everything ...not the babies :) just the health service and the conditions i had to work under :(
decided to get out eight years ago and for the first time in my life i got my nails done (was never allowed long nails for obvious reasons :shock: ) after many appointments and about a year to decide what i wanted to do with my life i realised that i would love to train as a nail tech .i trained and then got a job with kim (in the salon i had been getting my nails done )after getting lots of experience i launched myself as a mobile tech .this year i have opened a nail and tanning salon and am presently building up a new clientele base.i still visit my mobile clients one day a week ..luckily some have chosen to come to me .

debbie

since leaving college ive work as a nail tech(that was abt 5 yrs ago now when i was just 19).....so before that i just worked part time for j sainsburys and before that various p/t jobs whilst at school etc..........so thats about it- kinda boring really but i have to say i dont think i could do anything else but nails........... there arent many jobs where you get paid to talk all day long!! :D

Jess
;)

I`ve put my lifetime on here once already so I won`t bore you all with it again. Everyone has had such interesting lives, its great to hear how everyone got started, its a really good thread

I was Accountant before I became Nail Tech

I worked in various clothing stores while I was in school, first as a salesperson then as a manager. Finished my degree in mechanical engineering. Decided i was bored with my life in Canada so I decided to move to Portugal. Took a nail course before moving, figuring i could use it to make some extra money over here in europe (seeing as people in Portugal are very poorly paid). When i got here I worked in a nail salon, then quit when I found an engineering job. Found out i hate working 9-5 and went back to doing nails full time in a salon. Now I'm trying to get through the paperwork to open my own salon.

Royal Navy at 18 married 18 divorced at 22 worked on electronic arcade machines on the Isle of Wight where I lived for 22 years.Moved to London and remarried at 24 various jobs Tyre fitter,Cab driver etc.Started market stalls in fashion and divorced again at 29.Promoted young fashion designers in New York.Remarried at 31.Despatch rider then started training school for motorcyclists great for 11 years. Moved to France at 44 Builder for 4 years From August 2002 started training in NailArt<Aibrush tanning,Temp tattos,Airbrush makeup,Did Gel course in Swindon which was total crap but not knowing nail business I thought it must be normal.When I realised it wasnt the trainer had changed phone no. and her website had dissappeared.I wont mention names but you know who you are and you owe me.(sorry about little rant but dont like being ripped off) In march 2003 did foundation course at Creative in London with Jaqui
And ive just complete the Creative illusions with Ketan. Compliments to both they are excellent teachers and nice people. Now in process of third divorce.Guess im just not very reliable. But Im sure you girls would say being a man thats normal.
Love doing nails but nowhere near perfect loads of probs but Illl get there.
Hopefully in time for a Masters Exam next year.
Stay Cool
Michel

Worked at a car auction house from leaving school, then worked as a temp for about a year, on to a timber merchant where, although I had an office job I was often called upon to load the lorries!, on then to Smithfield Market in Manchester - VERY unsociable hours started at 1.30am!, moved then to Sheffield where I worked in a butchers during the day and in a local pub at night, met my daughters father and she was born in April 1993, I left him when Sophie was 8 weeks old and returned to Manchester (LONG story!), Started working in restaurant with my brother, eventually managed my own but left when I found myself working 70 - 80 hours a week and never seeing my daughter. Spent the next 12 months working as a part time cleaner whilst I studied and passed AAT examinations. I then got a job in the accounts department of an accident management company in Manchester - where I met Steven, a computer programmer, who is now my husband. We married in December 2001 - it was a fantastic day and I enjoyed every minute of it. In September 2002 I decided that I would really like to go into the Nail Industry( i had been having my own nails done for about 3 years) I started a part time VTCT course at my local college and passed in Manicure/Pedicure in December. My daughter Romy was born on 4th January this year and my training stopped for a bit - but carried on doing manicure/pedicure on friends and family etc. Finally found time to do a Foundation Acrylic Course and have very recently passed. Now I have the bug and just want to keep on learning!

Bit of a long one - but, believe it or not, that's the edited version!

Nail Diva .........

I'm exhausted just reading about your lhistory....... whatever must you feel having lived it!!! :D :D :?

pretty exhausted - but never bored!

...Michael - you've been busy love 8) I'm glad you have found your niche - maybe you'll meet a nice French Lassy to make no 4 :thumbsup:

Well i left school and did loads of yts schemes :) remember them :( showing my age Lol. Then worked in electronics for 12 years. Got married in 1989, had 2 children started with depression :( lost my way as a person, ended up in psychatrict hospital with a massive breakdown. Struggled for years with my health :( lots of things happened in my personal life. Thought that because i had a mental illness i could still do something with my life :sunny: :sunny: So went to college, did manicure,Gel, L&p,fibreglass and nail art, :D loved every minute of it, passed.Still have my illness,and lots of problems :x But love nails and one day i will win comps and have my own business :D

I was a secretary / receptionnist and presently am unemployed looking for another position as a administrative assistant while going to Nail Tech school part time in the evening.

I am really new to the business but love doing manicures to friends and they're all satisfied. So I considered becoming a professional doing it as a sideline first.

I am a Credit Controller for a very well known Crips company!!!! boring boring boring. I am heoping to go self employed in the next couple of months as a Tech just waiting until I think Im goodenough. I have to say I love doing nails much more then I thought I would, currently doing a Airbrush course as well.

At 15 went to college and qualified as secretary. Spent the last 33 years behind the desk (not very exciting). Two years ago had back problems and had to quit my job. Always loved nails and have spend the last 18 months on my passion. four weeks ago had an operation on my spine (hopefully that will be an end to my walking stick problems). Hoping now to continue with my recovery and do nails full time. So for the last 18 months I have swapped my office desk for nail desk. Did the Backscratchers and then VCTC in Advanced Nail and Nail Art. Hoping to make a success of it within the next few months. Must say I would not be so confident if I had not found this site. THINK YOU ARE ALL GREAT AND YOU KNOW SO MUCH - AND ARE WILLING TO PASS IT ON. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. I AM BECOMING ADDICTED TO THIS SITE.

i started out as a secretary to the regimental colonel (my dad was in the army). then moved to marks & sparks after moving back to UK from germany. from there i got wed and raised the kids. once they had grown up enough for me to be able to leave them i worked in a factory making T-bags (riviting stuff). that was while i was down south. i then moved back up to hartlepool after my divorce and worked in yet another factory making cakes and savoury stuff.
i met my current hubby who was a taxi driver, once we married he decided to buy his own taxi and i helped drive that but got fed up with being threatened by blokes while i was driving at night time. so i decided enough was enough and went to college to do a nail course then progressed to beauty level 2 and am just about finished level 3.

they say variety is the spice of life and ive certainly had that lol

Okay..left school at 16 (1989) and worked as a Receptionist for 2 years in small local ad agency in my home village of Styal, then moved into the big smoke (Manchester) for more excitement and worked as a secretary for 1 year in an Accountancy firm (worked for a lovely orthodox jewish chap - he was the best boss ever)...left there to work for Yokogawa, made the control panels for jumbo jets (not me personally) I just typed reports, but it was just to dull and they were moving to Warrington so left..

Next I worked for Chartered Surveyor who was a Sole Practioner and needed someone to look after the office when he was out and at the same time took on an evening job in the lovely Alderley Edge hotel in their a la carte restauarnt (Alex Ferguson Of ManU was a regular - v nice he was to) this is where I met Emmanuel (not of the movie fame obviously as he was male) and he swept me off my feet with his french charm....didn't like the main job as boss was a complete drip, so wanted to go into catering full time...

Emmanuals family had a converted barn in the south of france they wanted to turn into a bistro so they asked us to help and off we went - spent 8 months but after this time he wanted to leave as he had too many family issues...shame, as I loved it to death....came home and ran pubs in the south of england for 3 years (I was a licencee at 21 - quite proud of that fact) but left as my early twentys were passing me by & all I ever did was work, and me and him had drifted apart. So Moved back to Cheshire and went into advertising and moved upto Yorkshire where I ended up buying a house..climbed the ladder and made it to Account Mangager but it was not giving me the satisfaction I needed (money was fab but not enough to keep me there) so luckly I got made redundant and looked into nails did a manufacturers course, now doing my VCTC Level 2 Nails and work 9-5 in admin until I can afford to do Nails full time.. (sorry I think War and Peace was shorter than this :o )

Latest posts

Back