What would you do? Charger dilemma - please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
This is a bit random but just in case anyone can advise, here goes...

daughter has iphone 4s which she wants to buy a portable charger for, in particular for a school trip where they are camping. They are on ebay for about £12.

I have a deep distrust of the safety of all electrical products off ebay in particular chargers as there have been some smoking issues in the news, not these actual ones, but even so....

To buy an apple one is about £70. (Apparently you charge the case at home, then it holds the charge and you have an on/off switch which allows the phone to accept more charge or something, well thats roughly it anyway)

I think she should just go without the ruddy phone for 2 or 3 days until they move on somewhere where she can charge it in the normal way. If there are problems the school will contact us anyway.

She is adamant she is going to buy this one off ebay.

What would you do and am I over-worrying about the situation?

I just have this vision of the damn thing smoking and catching the tent alight - is my imagination just too active?

She won't be impressed when it melts her phone. I'd never use non apple accessories. It'll of her the world of good to leave the phone at home, and actually get the benefit from her trip. You're the parent, put your foot down!

I would only use Apple accessories.
What would the school policy be on this? Surely they will have all manner of health and safety regulations in relation to this trip....let them be the bad guys ;)

Schools don't normally let them take electricals and phones on camping trips ? But I do remember my son taking his phone and it got very wet, and he wished he hadn't taken it.

Not worth buying a fake - there was a programme on about how dangerous fake chargers were a couple of months ago and it makes you realise the importance of buying the real deal, even if the price is extortionate.

Sorry I can't remember which programme it was but it might be worth trying to do a google search as it will show your daughter the dangers.

Schools don't normally allow phones on trips do they? I certainly wouldn't risk a cheapie charger either. My brother in law had one and that blew up!!

Both my youngest are off on cub and scouts camps this weekend, both have phones and both will be going without them - I think there's a certain freedom to not bring tied to electronics nowadays and it'll do them good 😊

Can't you say the school says no? Or dad? Or anyone else you can blame lol

I wouldnt be sending them on a school trip with an iphone. Id get a cheap & cheerful phone, then if its lost, stolen, damaged or confiscated its not an issue. But then she can contact you, if needs be.

As said above schools don't usually allow them. Probably so they don't get the agro if it is lost/stolen etc.

Xx

Yes the school are ok with them taking gadgets and it's covered on our insurance policy so i'm not too worried there . . . although don't see the necessity . . . but its really only a couple of days where they will be camping and so she won't be able to charge it till they get to a proper building for the second leg of the holiday.

I'm so glad nobody has said "oh yes Ive got one of those from China and its brilliant!"

Confirming my thoughts really x

O2 have one it's £15, obviously it's not Apple. I have one and it's fab 😊

Seriously kids are to stuck in their phones and being away from it would be good :) as long as she has a secondary camera :)

I wouldn't pay £70 for a portable charger and i wouldn't pay £12 for a fake.

Tell her to take her normal lead and find a plug. I'm sure she'll soon find a way of charging her phone if she wants it that badly.

Ooo i'm so mean *evil laugh*

Latest posts

Back