What would you do if somebody refused to pay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eob

Reaction score
Hi all

Just a question that my boyfriend asked me today.... what would I do if somebody refused to pay after having extensions put on? As this has never happened to me before (I always ask for payment after) what would you do if they said they didnt like them and refused to pay? Should you remove them either by soaking or filing (if gel) before they are allowed to leave?

I know this is probably a very rare thing but you never know!!!

Just wondered what you guys would do?

Thanks
Emma

I think it just depends on the situation... I mean if the cliet is being uber obnoxious and you can tell he/she is just trying to get a free set... soak 'em off. If they are genuinly upset and don't seem to be looking for handouts... you could offer to remove them and have them come back later to redo them for free.

Hiya

I would definatlely remove them.

Well the only reason for a client not paying, would be because they are not happy with my work......
In that case, I would remove my work and bid them farewell!!!!!!

But I would ask them what they didn't like, that warrented none payment......
Would have to be something pretty drastic in my book.
As most things can be changed.......length, colour aso........

Thats why client consultation is so important, before you start any service!!!!!
Find out what it is exactly they are requiring (Listen, advice and explain)...........or want from you..........Then at the end of the service, they got what they asked for............and that requires payment!!!!!!
JMHO

i agree with ruth (i usually do!)
however this brings to mind a story someone once told me.
she had put on a full set & this very thing happened, ie client refused to pay.
after numerous attemps to understand what the client didn't like, my friend realised that the client was after a free set, & said to the client "so.. you're really sure that u don't like them & that u don't think that they're worth paying 4?
the client replied that she definately didn't like them.
so myfriend said well lets have 1 last look.
she swiftly picked up her toe nail cutters & cut off 3 nails b4 the client realised what was going on!!
horrified the client asked what did she think she was doing, to which my friend replied...
u don't like them, u don't think they're good enough to pay 4, so i'm doing u the favour of removing them for free!
the women was speechles..!!
but, what could she say?!
i must admit, i respect her speed of action , i don't think i would've been as quick to react to what was a blatant attempt to wriggle out of paying some1 for a couple of hours work, because as some1 said earlier, if the client is genuinely not happy with the service then they won't object to having them removed 4 free.
liza xx

I have to say i think what Liza Smith said is excellent, I would definately go with that, if they genuinely don't like what you have done then remove straight away. I think you just have to have the balls and to believe in the nails you have done to just cut a few. (excellent stuff!)

Have to say i have often wondered what i would do in that situation. It is difficult but as Ruth said you do have to have a good client consult before hand then they can't moan that you didn't ask!

If you look at this website www.hooked-on-nails.com they actually have a client form on there which i adapted for me, at least if gives you a start to what you should be asking, hope this helps,:biggrin:

eob said:
what would I do if somebody refused to pay after having extensions put on? ......

Thanks
Emma
I think it depends on the suitation if you believe that it is a bad set soak them off and re do them at a discounted price or soak them off and let them leave, but dont let them have a set for nothing.

IF she says that she doesnt want them soaked off insist on it or on money as if she doesnt like them she would not want them on her hands.

I once had someone have a set of nails done, and I asked her constantly throughout to check them over, make sure they were right length etc. to which she replied yes and as far as I was concerned she went away happy. After about a week she left a message on my ansaphone demanding a full refund saying that 2/3 had fallen off and were lifting everywhere. I was horrified and was really worried about what I had done. I had only been working as a tech for about 7 or so months. The alarm bells should have been ringing when she told me that she was really heavy on her nails and that had recently had a set done in the salon down the road and demanded a full refund from them. (She was an ex nail tech by the way). She had come to me with her natural nails in a real state anyway (they were really red and sore from pulling off some stick on nails).

Anyway to cut a long story short I asked her to come back and said I would re-do them for nothing, but she wasn't having any of it and wanted her money back, so I ended up sending her a cheque just to get her off my back. (I was worried about her bad mouthing me to other people) I really regretted this though as I think maybe she makes a habit of it. It really knocked my confidence for a while after that though. So be ware of people like this!!!

Kirsty

Same as above for me unfortunatley!

I had a girl come in, checked over and over that she was happy. We had gone through a consoltation which she had signed. I made sure she was pleased with everything when she left.

Four hours later she came back with her friend. I was just ready to close up and felt quite intimidated. She said she wasn't happy, they weren't up to standard and she wanted her money back. I asked her what she wasn't happy with, and she said that they had all cracked! Which within in 4hours is hard to believe. I looked at her nails and saw that they were cracked but there were clear signs of damage which hadn't been there when she left.

Her friend was being mouthy and loud with me, and I tryed to stay calm and speak directly to my customer and ignore this other girl. I said that the nails were fine when she left, and maybe she had caught them unaware, but there were signs of trauma to the extensions, which doesn't happen on it's own.

Her friend accused me of saying my customer was lying, that I couldn't do my job, and that she wanted her money back. I was quiet scared, and told this girl she could have £20 back but she wouldn't be getting a full refund. Her friend started shouting again, and I told her that I am running a business and I don't give refunds.

The girls left with the money, and I took this client straight off my books. I was really upset and wanted to give it all in. But my Mum pointed out that it was 1 bad experience out of approx 90 customers.

If I had the same problem now, then I would show my customer what she signed and tell her she won't get a refund but can have them soaked off.

I suppose you learn as you go, but unfortunatley there are some nasty people about. :mad:

Jeez!!!! All this talk about non-payment has put the fear of God into me. How about taking before and after photos with a digital camera as proof that the nails were fine when they left? You could say they were for your portfolio. Kim x

yup i agree cleint consoltation will help alot !! that way its much harder for anyone who thinks they maybe able to get away with a free set doing so. if this happened to me they definatly wouldnt leave until i had soaked them off no soak off no refund simple as that!!! :D

This really is scary stuff, huh?

Well, as much as I have not been in this situation, I have to agree with the "if they don't like them enough to pay for them, they'll be happy for you to soak them off" theory. No genuine person would be this unreasonable - in most situations they'd simply have adjustments they'd want you to make to the extensions (filing, colour etc), especially if the consultation's been done properly.

As for the girl that came back after 4 hours...

"Four hours later she came back with her friend. I was just ready to close up and felt quite intimidated. She said she wasn't happy, they weren't up to standard and she wanted her money back. I asked her what she wasn't happy with, and she said that they had all cracked! Which within in 4hours is hard to believe. I looked at her nails and saw that they were cracked but there were clear signs of damage which hadn't been there when she left"

...to protect myself, and to ensure my client gets the most out of her nail extensions, I ALWAYS issue an aftercare sheet to new clients. This does state that their new nails require a certain amount of care and attention and that they are most definitely NOT indestructible. May not've helped in that case (due to presence of scary friend etc!), but with my clients it seems to give them a sense of being responsible for the condition of their nails.

TTFN,

G. x

I would knaw their brand new nails off right before their eyes :green:

I ask all of my new clients to fill out and SIGN Consultation Card, with all kinds of nessesary questions (allergies, what kind of works they do etc.) also on the bottome there is a line about that the nails are their sole responsibility once they leave the salon.
And that ALL repairs have to be paid for.
Also there I have my cancellation policy, and no kid policy ;)
Signature.
Thank you
;)

I certainly would never give a refund .... would soak off and send away.

If they wouldn't take that option, I would ask them to get their solicitor to get in touch with my insurance company! I would never get 'into' it with a client verbally ... that is why I have insurance. Having said all that .... It's never happened!

The Nail Geek said:
I would knaw their brand new nails off right before their eyes :green:

Hahahaha! ROFL!

That image tickled me pink!

Up To Scratch said:
...to protect myself, and to ensure my client gets the most out of her nail extensions, I ALWAYS issue an aftercare sheet to new clients. This does state that their new nails require a certain amount of care and attention and that they are most definitely NOT indestructible. May not've helped in that case (due to presence of scary friend etc!), but with my clients it seems to give them a sense of being responsible for the condition of their nails.

TTFN,

G. x

My leaflet has After Care advice on it. I always make sure my customer leaves with one, even if they may already have one. This way they can see how to look after their nails, can look to see the price of other services, and have my number if they need have a breakage etc.

Unfortunately, the odd person always seems to ignore the advice given. :(

Sorry!!!! I couldn't help but laugh at the thought of these non-paying clients. The general response was that they would remove the nails. How do you plan on doing so? Chain them to the desk and put them in soak against their will??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back