What would you do if...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailsbyjulie

Reaction score
Hey guys, have this mortifing half hour last night when i was doing a set of nails... Done all the prep work, sized the tips and went to open the glue and it wouldn't budge! I tried everything to open it...

It was a first time client i had and she was just looking at me like i was mad. I started to panic but eventuslly got it open after half an hour and put some vaseline round the lid to stop it from happening again!

Was just wandering what you all would do if this happened? Is there another way of securing tips without glue? I don't sculp yet as im not 100% at it yet.

Thanks xx

Hey guys, have this mortifing half hour last night when i was doing a set of nails... Done all the prep work, sized the tips and went to open the glue and it wouldn't budge! I tried everything to open it...

It was a first time client i had and she was just looking at me like i was mad. I started to panic but eventuslly got it open after half an hour and put some vaseline round the lid to stop it from happening again!

Was just wandering what you all would do if this happened? Is there another way of securing tips without glue? I don't sculp yet as im not 100% at it yet.

Thanks xx

I have used a medium sized bead of L&P many times as a tip adhesive. In the old days before opaque powders entered our lives; this method was excellent for elongating the nail bed if a client had very short plates. Obviously you have to hold the tip in place for longer and without moving the tip at all but they don't half stay put if using Retention+ monomer!! lol

Last edited:
That's interesting gigi, I wouldn't have thought of that.

I couldn't get the lid of my gel bond off the other night, so had to snip the corner off the end!

I have used a medium sized bead of L&P many times as a tip adhesive. In the old days before opaque powders entered or lives, this method was excellent for elongating the nail bed if a client had very short plates. Obviously you have to hold the tip in place for longer and without moving the tip at all but they don't half stay put if using Retention+ monomer!! lol
Amazing! Just the thought of a dreaded glued shut bottle when you don't have a spare handy brings me out in a cold sweat! I can't wait to have a bash just to check it out! Thanks!

Last edited:
a great tip I got off this site - run boiling water over the cap, it loosens it well!! vaseline is a great idea for it not happening again too.

This happened to me the other week, I've used pliers before but was out at a house and didn't have them, she was a first time client too and I was extremely embarrassed, after soaking for about 5 minutes in boiling water and it still not opening, I nearly gave up and nipped to the wholesalers 10 minutes away.. then the ladies mother found a wrench :rolleyes::o ...such a relief to see if my 3 spare bottles ever cause problems there is a more practical solution :lol:

I use small tubes of glue and usually have a couple of new ones in my bag just incase as I've had this problem in the past and seemed to lose so much glue by throwing them away. Little tubes are ideal as if you only get a couple of set out of the tube before the lid sticks it's not the end of the world :)
Kxx

As I'm mobile I too have the risk of this happening so I put a pair of pliers in the car (can pop out to get them if needed) but I have tried to stop the lid sticking by putting citicle oil around the threads of the bottle and that's worked so far. **Touch wood**

I also have my glue wedged upright in my case so that minimises the amount of glue that gets near the lid and threads to begin with.

This is the very reason I switched to brush on adhesive. I haven't had any problem with it since.

Thanks for the help ladies and great to know im not the only one its happened too! I just went into panic mode!

Thanks for the tip i will def remember that for the future!

My adhesive is brush on, the top of the bottle seems to clog :S

Thanks xx

My adhesive is brush on, the top of the bottle seems to clog :S

Thanks xx

Mine is a brush on bottle too and it seems that the cuticle oil around the threads stops the lid sticking.

I use brush on and find it can get a bit sticky at times. I now geneally always clean the top with a swipe of acetone on a lint free pad to make sure there is no excess there. Seems to work so far :d xx

I have actually never used oil around my adhesive ever. I found the trick was to make sure that you never have adhesive round the neck of the bottle and then screw the cap on as tight as you can so that no adhesive can seep out and go hard.

Working clean and tight caps always worked for me. Still does work for me come to that :D

I've never had it happen, YET! (touches nearist bit of wood) but I bought a spare Gelbond that goes everywhere with me just incase. I also take a long needle for if the Gelbond has set and blocked the opening, then all I need to do is pop the needle down the opening and hey presto, alll sorted.

I'm glad I decided to take the needle as I needed it once when at a clients home. It's a trick I picked up from the many times I've had the superglue tubes get blocked with set superglue.

I always wipe any Gelbond off of the nosal as soon as possible and so far, that seems to have done the trick. Best to be perpared for these things as you never know when you might need them.

Sam xx

I use a pair of nut crackers.........x

Tap bottle on table and squeeze to let out air bubble then screw on lid.xx:D

I use a brush on but I have had to use pliers on occassion! I have a few bottles handy though for when I (eventually) have clients :)

I have used a medium sized bead of L&P many times as a tip adhesive. In the old days before opaque powders entered our lives; this method was excellent for elongating the nail bed if a client had very short plates. Obviously you have to hold the tip in place for longer and without moving the tip at all but they don't half stay put if using Retention+ monomer!! lol

Now this is a VERY interesting suggestion. Me and Adhesive.. we just do not get along... i like to use forms because i dislike tipping alot but i know i need to work on my tip application. I may give this a bash because actually adhearing the tip is the bit i hate most.. (adhesive everywhere..gelbond everywhere..u get the picture!)

I use small tubes of glue and usually have a couple of new ones in my bag just incase as I've had this problem in the past and seemed to lose so much glue by throwing them away. Little tubes are ideal as if you only get a couple of set out of the tube before the lid sticks it's not the end of the world :)
Kxx

Yes, me too! It's generic brand glue, and it costs like 10 cents a tube, but I keep it for my nail art and emergencies. I just snip the top off, use it, and throw it away.

This is the very reason I switched to brush on adhesive. I haven't had any problem with it since.

Indeed! Never had a problem, but you neeever know.

More times than not, I'm reading a thread and planning what to say and you've already said it! Haha. I use a brush on, as well. But, I do have a "cheap" bottle of nail glue laying around that came from your average department store box of glue on nails. Normally, I use that to glue clipped tips onto an orange wood stick for nail art practice. ;)

Latest posts

Back