What would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairdressingBug

Reaction score
Hi Geeks
I am after a little advise on an employee in my salon.
I have a small salon with just 4 staff (including myself). In September I employed a new stylist to join our team.
She is just 20 years old and during the interview with her she told me that she enjoys colouring the most but her weak point is cutting, as she has little confidence with cutting because just after she qualified she had a client who didn't like the cut she did on her and it really knocked her.
I admired her honesty and I took her on, I explained to her that I was happy to work with her to build her confidence as I knew she would be capable as she is level 3 qualified so she must know how to do it!
In October I sent her on a wella foundation cutting course which was a one day course and also a creative cutting course which was a 2 day course. Her confidence is improving, however its been 9 months now and there is still some basic cuts that she is so nervous about she point blank refuses to do them!
I could live with this but the worst bit for me is she is now saying she dosnt want any foils booked in with her because she dosnt know where to place the foils! but she is happy to do a root tin as long as she dosnt have to do the consultation on her own because she dosnt understand colour theory.
So when I told her one day to mix me a tint the tint was 1/2 8/43 +3cm /43 she said she couldn't mix it because she didn't know how much 1/2 a tube was or how much developer to use with it! This is basic colour theory. I feel like im getting know where with her and have tried so hard to help her but she just isn't grasping it! She is losing me money because she isn't earning her wage. She has been with us 9 months now and to be honest I have been wanting to get rid of her for 4 months now but my mum keeps making me feel guilty (I no I am soft). She keeps saying that If I get rid of her she wont get another job anywhere else. (well that says it all really).
The thing is can I get rid of her for all this? my friend owns a salon and she sacked someone and they took her to court and she nearly lost everything (her house, business and car, all her money etc) thankfully she didn't and actually won but it scares me so much that you could lose everything that you have worked so hard for just like that. Anyway sorry to ramble on just wanted some advise really? any advice is much appreciated :)

Also just wanted to clarify she is level 3 qualified as I have a copy of her certificates

You're the boss for a reason. It's your salon you decide who you employ. I wouldn't employ anyone that point blank refuses to perform a treatment that they're qualified to do. How does she expect to ever progress if this is her chosen career. You've listed valid reasons above for dismissal. She's loosing you money, she's wasting training that you have paid for to help her confidence and to progress. And there seems to be no motivation for improvement in the near future. For her she's got her ideal job, she's being allowed to choose what treatments she wants to do. How do your other stylists feel about that.

If you want to be kind you could invite her in for a review state that if she doesn't buck her ideas up and get over her 'fear' of cutting and colouring then you will have no other choice but to let her go. For me I would say to get rid of her now, don't allow her to guilt trip you. If she can't get another job that's down to her, not you. I'm not a hair geek, but if someone who has qualified and has been working in the industry for 9 months cannot still not master basic skills like mixing colour, then it's a no brainer. Get rid, and employ someone that's going to make you money and get more people through your door.

Good luck, and don't worry about her sueing you. Make sure you list all the reasons your unhappy with her and she won't have a leg to stand on.

Thank you for your reply.
Yes I know that I need to get rid of her I just needed the confirmation of someone else that im not being harsh.
As for the other stylists one of them has her own clientele so she stays out of things and uses her as a junior to shampoo etc but I am paying her stylist wages to do junior duties! I really would get more benefit from a junior!
My other stylist is a bit miffed as she know s that they are on the same salary and she is annoyed that she works hard (which she does) and the other does nothing! But on the other hand I think that deep down she is also glad that she is like this because she is still trying to build a clientele to increase her hours to full time and at the moment she gets the majority of new clients walking in the door.

This isn't good for a level 3, I'm level 1 .. Going onto my 2nd year in August and I know all of this! I would be a bit nervous with some cuts of course but I'm a junior in my salon ( placement on a wed and paid on a sat ) and I do colours and cuts every so often to build my clientele .. I wouldn't ever refuse to do anything unless I felt it was outwith my current skill and the salon was too busy to get help with it, I've refused a few kids but not yet refused any other walk in.

I will say that you need to follow specific measures before dismissing someone without it being a trial period. Therefore you would have to give her a verbal warning, two written and a final warning before dismissal. Therefore she may buck up her ideas and if not you get rid and it's all legal xx

I wonder what she'll say when you confront her with " I've kept you here knowing full well you don't like cutting and now foils and as my mum thinks you deserve to be here (as you won't get a job elsewhere) the time has come for me to shut my doors as business has become so bad"

Seriously, man up, or the jest can become a reality very quickly.

It is not personal, do not treat staff like they are your friends, you will gain little respect.

Sympathy is found in the dictionary between $hit and Syphilis.

Sit her down and say it's been 9 months and you need to talk about an evaluation.

State the facts, you're paying her based on her certificates but she is not pulling her weight.

You understand and took her on with low confidence but you paid for 2 courses for her and this is beyond what was expected.

Lay it out, in writing. State that this is affecting your business and must change. In an effort of fairness, you are giving her 60 days to gain her confidence and you expect that by that point you will see bookings for cuts and foils etc. She was not hired to just be a colorist (and she can't even do that, be sure to say you noticed her color theory issues).

Say it is not within your budget to send her to another course. if she is willing to book and pay for more courses, and she can show you that she has paid for them, you'll give her an extension to 90 days. That gives 1 year from hire and that is the date it is 'do these, or you must leave' because you need to hire someone who is more than just qualified on paper, they must be qualified with clients.

On the other note, maybe one of the requirements for future hiring is that you want them to book to come in for 1 day and do certain cuts/colors and show what they can do (if it is more than that, or you feel this isn't fair, state that you instituted a firm 90 days probation, where they must show their abilities and skills and if it doesn't work out within that time it is no harm/no foul - they can leave or you can dismiss them and pay them for the time they worked.

Good luck

I knew she would be capable as she is level 3 qualified so she must know how to do it!

This is where is went wrong. Just because she has a qualification doesn't mean she knows anything unfortunately.

There has been many posts on this and unfortunately you need to look at your recruitment procedure.

Did you trade test her? This would have flagged this up. If you decided to still take her on maybe it would be as a assistant who applied root tints to begin with.

Then you need a 3 month probation, you could have dismissed due to lack of progress. Or extended if you still wanted to keep her. You could have sat down at the beginning and clearly out laid where you expect her to be in 1month, 6 weeks etc

Education contracts- paying for courses only after the probation and then if they leave they repay some of the cost back.

I would have built her colour up first then focused on cutting later. Someone at her level has a lot to take in - client care, consultation, building up retail sales, just generally working in a salon environment of they have been in full time college.

I'm not surprised she didn't know how to mix the colour. Someone fresh out of college may have used cans (goldwell) or scales to mix. If they've never used wella there is no way you could ask them to mix when you have never showed them.

At this level I maybe would have expected to start with assisting and tinting then for you to show her how you like things done. It seems you've lumped a huge amount of responsibly on someone who lacks skill and confidence. Now she's 9 months in she's probably thinking she can just pick and choose, you've lost patience and are stuck in the situation.

This is where is went wrong. Just because she has a qualification doesn't mean she knows anything unfortunately.

There has been many posts on this and unfortunately you need to look at your recruitment procedure.

Did you trade test her? This would have flagged this up. If you decided to still take her on maybe it would be as a assistant who applied root tints to begin with.

Then you need a 3 month probation, you could have dismissed due to lack of progress. Or extended if you still wanted to keep her. You could have sat down at the beginning and clearly out laid where you expect her to be in 1month, 6 weeks etc

Education contracts- paying for courses only after the probation and then if they leave they repay some of the cost back.

I would have built her colour up first then focused on cutting later. Someone at her level has a lot to take in - client care, consultation, building up retail sales, just generally working in a salon environment of they have been in full time college.

I'm not surprised she didn't know how to mix the colour. Someone fresh out of college may have used cans (goldwell) or scales to mix. If they've never used wella there is no way you could ask them to mix when you have never showed them.

At this level I maybe would have expected to start with assisting and tinting then for you to show her how you like things done. It seems you've lumped a huge amount of responsibly on someone who lacks skill and confidence. Now she's 9 months in she's probably thinking she can just pick and choose, you've lost patience and are stuck in the situation.

She trained in a college local to me and they do use wella there and she worked in a salon for 3 years before she came to me (she did an apprenticeship for two years there and then qualified for one year as a junior stylist- this salon also uses wella) I got a glowing reference for her.
I have spent a lot of time on extra training with her and I have explained mixing in depth. I have tested her and she relays back to me that she understands then the next day its gone again and she cant remember any it!
I have been trying to give her a chance. I set her a target which was to just earn her wage to begin with then we can review the target when she is frequently hitting it but since I set the target in February she has only reached target once!
I feel I have been very patient with her.
I know I need to revisit my recruitment procedure. I have never had a problem like this before. If anything im afraid I have been to fair with her.

Not a hair geek bit just a thought. Why not employ her as a trainee? Lower wages and gradually encouraging her to learn and experiment.
Some good suggestions on here about time limits as well.
Either that or get rid. She does sound like she's giving you the run around.

Good luck x

How is she qualified if she doesn't understand colour theory, foil placement, and cuts?

How is she ever going to be confident if she simply refuses to do them!?

I think that she honestly needs ALOT of training... I don't know perhaps she's not a 'natural'.

I think that she's not good for your business, you're losing money and time trying to train this girl and she's not putting the effort in by at least trying to practice on a training head to get her foil placement right or ... SOMETHING!

The choice is yours, all I'm going to say is that you're not being harsh, I think 9 months is a really long time for not making much progress or at least attempting.

You could either get rid of her, or you could send her to an advanced training course, we have certificate 4's in aus and that teaches you advanced cutting, colouring and colouring if there's something available that's similar in the UK she definitely needs to do one of those because from what you've said I think she needs more than short courses.

I think you're a lovely person for employing her, don't feel bad...

How is she qualified if she doesn't understand colour theory, foil placement, and cuts?

How is she ever going to be confident if she simply refuses to do them!?

I think that she honestly needs ALOT of training... I don't know perhaps she's not a 'natural'.

I think that she's not good for your business, you're losing money and time trying to train this girl and she's not putting the effort in by at least trying to practice on a training head to get her foil placement right or ... SOMETHING!

The choice is yours, all I'm going to say is that you're not being harsh, I think 9 months is a really long time for not making much progress or at least attempting.

You could either get rid of her, or you could send her to an advanced training course, we have certificate 4's in aus and that teaches you advanced cutting, colouring and colouring if there's something available that's similar in the UK she definitely needs to do one of those because from what you've said I think she needs more than short courses.

I think you're a lovely person for employing her, don't feel bad...

This is exactly my thoughts! I don't think that level 4 is the answer because to be completely honest I am in total shock she qualified level 2 never mind level 3. I am going to do a PDR with her in a few weeks time (don't want to do it before then as she is going on holiday for two weeks next week and don't want to worry her before she goes away) But I am going to relay my issues with her and set her a 6 week target to buck her ideas up if I don't see any improvement in the next 6 weeks she is going to have to go. The new one today is "can you please not book anyone in with me who books in through facebook because im worried that they want something I cant do" nearly bit through my lip I was biting it that hard! This I am afraid is the tipping point for me she has pushed her luck to far and excuse me for this but feel she is talking the pi$$ now.
x

This is exactly my thoughts! I don't think that level 4 is the answer because to be completely honest I am in total shock she qualified level 2 never mind level 3. I am going to do a PDR with her in a few weeks time (don't want to do it before then as she is going on holiday for two weeks next week and don't want to worry her before she goes away) But I am going to relay my issues with her and set her a 6 week target to buck her ideas up if I don't see any improvement in the next 6 weeks she is going to have to go. The new one today is "can you please not book anyone in with me who books in through facebook because im worried that they want something I cant do" nearly bit through my lip I was biting it that hard! This I am afraid is the tipping point for me she has pushed her luck to far and excuse me for this but feel she is talking the pi$$ now.
x

That's ridiculous, yes I do feel like she is too.
She's choosing not to learn, you're paying her, and let's be honest, she does nothing...
Definitely needs to pull her socks up otherwise you did what you could and you're being extremely fair and you're even finding a right time to talk to her.
That's too much, look after yourself and your business x

I wonder what she'll say when you confront her with " I've kept you here knowing full well you don't like cutting and now foils and as my mum thinks you deserve to be here (as you won't get a job elsewhere) the time has come for me to shut my doors as business has become so bad"

Seriously, man up, or the jest can become a reality very quickly.

It is not personal, do not treat staff like they are your friends, you will gain little respect.

Sympathy is found in the dictionary between $hit and Syphilis.

I agree. What about a written warning?

Surrey Girl through and through x

I would give her a written warning explaining the impact her lack of work & insecurity of her skills has on your business (financially & with clients, you could be employing a real worker who will make you lots of money) and tell her that maybe she should go back onto a trainee wage untill she feels confident enough to do all the tasks a level 3 hairdresser should be able too, I was like the lady above at level 1 doing the whole service for the clients, I had to get to grips with lots of different colour numbering systems & mixing ratios all at once I learned 3 different brands at the same time! she's being like that because you've allowed her to, go back to basics start with hair up & consultation, then move on to colour & foiling, then progress on to cutting and pay her accordingly as she progresses it may seem harsh but it'll give her the shock she needs there's no way any other salon would employ her as a stylist with her current skills so she can either stay with you and grow balls to get on with the services or go to another salon where she'd have to do it all or she wouldn't have a job!

I agree. What about a written warning?

Surrey Girl through and through x

You need to go through the three disciplinary stages if you don't wish to face a tribunal. You have to document a verbal warning stating 'issued to blah blah on such a date for these reasons' . . The same again in a written format. .. then comes dismissal. All of these disciplinary procedures have to be taken in this sequence but they can be done all on the same day.

The employers argument in a court of law is failure to maintain a disciplined procedural practice offering duty bound consideration for fellow employees, insubordination could lead to a threat towards the business and fellow employees which will lead to a situation of vicarious liability at which point you will have to make a decision in the best interest of the business and its stakeholders...responsible action based on due care and diligence as proprietor.

Shall I go on. ....

It's a minefield of fear if you don't know what you're doing.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

You need to go through the three disciplinary stages if you don't wish to face a tribunal. You have to document a verbal warning stating 'issued to blah blah on such a date for these reasons' . . The same again in a written format. .. then comes dismissal. All of these disciplinary procedures have to be taken in this sequence but they can be done all on the same day.

The employers argument in a court of law is failure to maintain a disciplined procedural practice offering duty bound consideration for fellow employees, insubordination could lead to a threat towards the business and fellow employees which will lead to a situation of vicarious liability at which point you will have to make a decision in the best interest of the business and its stakeholders...responsible action based on due care and diligence as proprietor.

Shall I go on. ....

It's a minefield of fear if you don't know what you're doing.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Good points there! lol your profile pic is sooo funny when you comment with a blah blah blah type response 😂 on a serious note tho health and safety laws state that each person is required to do their job properly and this girl isn't and it's not in the best interests of the business to keep employing her

Latest posts

Back