What would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph Dodson

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

So I done a client tonight and she had super super bitten nails. I completed them, but was curious on how you all would approach them and what procedure you would use. All opinions welcome!

Look forward to seeing everyone's thoughts!

I've attached a picture of the ladies nails before I done them x
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1444857332.373633.jpg

Hi ladies,

So I done a client tonight and she had super super bitten nails. I completed them, but was curious on how you all would approach them and what procedure you would use. All opinions welcome!

Look forward to seeing everyone's thoughts!

I've attached a picture of the ladies nails before I done them xView attachment 191218
What did you do on tj

"What would u do" ........I'd have given her a big hug

I have a couple of clients with nails like this. I use tip and acrylic over lay and cut them down super short.

If they won't have them super short I warn them that they are more likely to break. What did you do?

Blimey that must actually hurt bless her
:( they're bad.. I'm still training in acrylics but our teacher said it's better to just do a short sculpted overlay as would be stronger, no tips. How do you decide which is safest ? x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

What was she having done to them?
Looks veryy painful!

The first thing that i would do is a simble gel overlay on the natural nail so she couldn't bite them so they have the chance to grow little bit for a month and when she comes back in a month i would put tips on her and cut them very short so they can last for another month.and in this 2 months the nail would come in a normal size.in these cases the client has to have paicient.she cannot expect to come and magicaly have perfect nails the same day...

This client had specifically said not to do gel because she would just bite it off. And she said that they're not painful, shockingly! Lol.

I managed to get a tip on most fingers (after a bit of modification), cut them very short, applied acrylic and finished with a gel polish.
With each little finger and index finger, I was unable to attach a tip as the nail was just far to small! So on these 4, I used a form and sculpted the acrylic.

They don't look amazing, but they look a whole lot better than they did before and hopefully she can begin to grow them now! X
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1444932657.729181.jpg

Can I ask why you chose to tip instead of sculpting all ? Isn't sculpting stronger ? sorry still learning. They look so much better x

I'd have used reserve sculpting method making her nails beds look a little longer with a short free edge. The strength is in the liquid & powder not the tips: xx

I had a lady like this, sculpture short and square for strength. As she gets more used to them and her natural nails grow we can go longer/different shapes x

Can I ask why you chose to tip instead of sculpting all ? Isn't sculpting stronger ? sorry still learning. They look so much better x

A while ago I had a client with really short nails (not this short though) and I experimented by doing one hand sculpted and one hand tips. Surprisingly the tips lasted longer. The sculpted ones broke quicker.
And personally I prefer doing tips as sculpting is very time consuming x

Unless sculpting is done very well it's probably better to tip, imho, in most cases.

I've seen a lot of bad sculpting round my way, too thick and chunky or just really weak at the point where they join the natural nail at the sides.

I would tip your lady's nails, but keep quite short. Or just an overlay and let them grow up. X

I do think sculpting is a skill that needs practice but so many techs are not confident in sculpting and I think this is due to most courses teaching only tip & overlay. Personally I find sculpting takes no longer than applying tips and is stronger and will last if done correctly - that said I have been a trained tech for over 17 years but take regular skill building training, It's all about practice X

I wouldnt put a tip on these at all. I agree with the other post by saying that the nails should have been sculptured and the nail plate extended. Tips actually take longer than sculptures. People that arent confident in sculpting will always try and get a tip on. A tip is not stronger than a sculptured nail and a sculptured nail is not stronger than a nail with tips. The strength comes from the way the acrylic has been applied and how the structure has been built. A tip is for length only and has no benefits of trying to strengthen an enhancement. Once you master sculpting you wont even bother with tips. With sculpting you just put in a form and away you go unlike tips that have to be sized, blended, glued, cut bkah blah. Tips definitely take longer

I'm learning acrylic & gel enhancements etc at the mo and I will definitely just sculpt, I hate the faffing with tips and find it longer than sculpting but like I say I'm still learning. xx

I wouldnt put a tip on these at all. I agree with the other post by saying that the nails should have been sculptured and the nail plate extended. Tips actually take longer than sculptures. People that arent confident in sculpting will always try and get a tip on. A tip is not stronger than a sculptured nail and a sculptured nail is not stronger than a nail with tips. The strength comes from the way the acrylic has been applied and how the structure has been built. A tip is for length only and has no benefits of trying to strengthen an enhancement. Once you master sculpting you wont even bother with tips. With sculpting you just put in a form and away you go unlike tips that have to be sized, blended, glued, cut bkah blah. Tips definitely take longer

Sorry to go off topic but I am doing the CND illusion sculpting next month and I just wondered - is it possible to get a form on any nail?! I was led to believe in my l&p training that forms aren't for everyone or is there a knack to it?! Xx

Sorry to go off topic but I am doing the CND illusion sculpting next month and I just wondered - is it possible to get a form on any nail?! I was led to believe in my l&p training that forms aren't for everyone or is there a knack to it?! Xx

You'll learn all about sizing the forms up for different nail types on the illusion sculpting so don't worry too much about it - I did 1-2-1 on this course and choose the reverse method, was a very good day you'll enjoy it x

You can definitely get a form on any finger no matter how short the nail is. You just extend the nail plate with a cover pic then pop your form on.

You'll learn all about sizing the forms up for different nail types on the illusion sculpting so don't worry too much about it - I did 1-2-1 on this course and choose the reverse method, was a very good day you'll enjoy it x

It's looking like I'm the only one booked on so will basically be 1-2-1 anyway - result!! Thank you :) xx

Latest posts

Back