What would your formula be?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buxom

Reaction score
Hey!

So a level 7 that pulls a lot of warmth, wants to be a 9-10v base with 12 hilites.

I foiled in her her hilites and painted a hilift blonde with violet and blue additive in between. Used Olaplex on both applications.

I ended up having to do 3 or 4 root applications, and took 1.5hrs to get her root to a med-pale yellow.

What avenue would you take to get my client to a very cool 9 base?

Thanks everyone!

I should note I used 35vol with hilift.

Hey!

So a level 7 that pulls a lot of warmth, wants to be a 9-10v base with 12 hilites.

I foiled in her her hilites and painted a hilift blonde with violet and blue additive in between. Used Olaplex on both applications.

I ended up having to do 3 or 4 root applications, and took 1.5hrs to get her root to a med-pale yellow.

What avenue would you take to get my client to a very cool 9 base?

Thanks everyone!
I would be asking why the hair isn't lifting? There's no reason why a 12 with 35vol would need to be applied 3 times to a level 7 to get to a level 9.
Somethings wrong here. There must be something chemical that's interfering with the tint. Using a Highlift, regardless of lift will never replicate a level 9 swatch. Swatches are done on white hair. So to get a true 9 violet you will need to bleach the hair to a level 10, then tone with a 9v.

Thank you! When I say reapply, I don't mean rinsed and reapplied if that helps. I reapplied to continue toning as the additives I was adding seemed to be dissipating and warmth kept coming through.

And if I'm toning out, this wont affect the level 12 highlights if applied just to the root if just tapping I imagine.

Is there a more efficient way to achieve this? Thanks for your response.

I would bleach roots to a clean level 10. Then use either 10/6 or 10/16 in foils which gives you a nice crisp white blonde and apply the 8/81+10/6 inbetween. Level 12 is an illusion almost, 1-10 are the base levels of hair so a 12 is virtually impossible to achieve. It's a representation of a Highlift blonde, giving better lift than a standard tint.

I would bleach roots to a clean level 10. Then use either 10/6 or 10/16 in foils which gives you a nice crisp white blonde and apply the 8/81+10/6 inbetween. Level 12 is an illusion almost, 1-10 are the base levels of hair so a 12 is virtually impossible to achieve. It's a representation of a Highlift blonde, giving better lift than a standard tint.
Thank you so much! You are so very helpful!

Last edited:
Question :)
What vol would you use after the bleach in foils and paint between?

And what is the reasoning for mixing the 8 and 10 to get a 9? Why not just put a 9 on?
Thank you!

Question :)
What vol would you use after the bleach in foils and paint between?

And what is the reasoning for mixing the 8 and 10 to get a 9? Why not just put a 9 on?
Thank you!
I'd use 1.9% becasue you're depositing only. If you used the 4% emulsion it will distort the tone and give you a different result to what you're expecting.
As for mixing the 8/81+10/6 it's to get a balance of the tones rather than the base. Colour touch only have 9/16 and that doesn't really create silver.

I'd use 1.9% becasue you're depositing only. If you used the 4% emulsion it will distort the tone and give you a different result to what you're expecting.
As for mixing the 8/81+10/6 it's to get a balance of the tones rather than the base. Colour touch only have 9/16 and that doesn't really create silver.
You rock! Is this Wella?

Just reading this and very helpful ronray! On another page someone is asking how to get their hair to a level 12 with bleach, I said the same 1-10 levels, 12 is a high lift, so hard to explain u put it good

Latest posts

Back