What you can do!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
thanks for the link hun xx

thats really interesting stuff as i would like to cut down on our usuage...may i just change the topic slightly for a minute though...

we have had huge bills....its been sorted now and our problem was that we where on the wrong tarrif....many of you may be too.

so if you are on day and night readings....its economy 7.....great if you work shifts and use most of your electricity at night or have immersion heaters...but very costly otherwise as economy 7 day rates are nearly twice as much as standard single rates !!!

so you would need to ring your supplier and ask to be switched to a single rate tarif....great one at the mo is Click Energy 3 by British Gas.

HTH

This is my kind of thread.:wink2:
We made the decision to reduce our energy consumption for ecological reasons a few years ago, it's also had a great impact on our bills. Something as small as fitting all lights with energy saving light bulbs and turning your tv and dvd etc of at the wall each night can make such a difference.
My kids like to try and catch each other out being wasteful with energy and are quick to remind each other of the poor polar bears who's habitat is being destroyed.
As for our bills,we're a family of 5 and our Electricity direct debit is about £20 a month, and we are always in credit!

This is my kind of thread.:wink2:
We made the decision to reduce our energy consumption for ecological reasons a few years ago, it's also had a great impact on our bills. Something as small as fitting all lights with energy saving light bulbs and turning your tv and dvd etc of at the wall each night can make such a difference.
My kids like to try and catch each other out being wasteful with energy and are quick to remind each other of the poor polar bears who's habitat is being destroyed.
As for our bills,we're a family of 5 and our Electricity direct debit is about £20 a month, and we are always in credit!

wow thats amazing, we switch all appliances including the modem and dvd tv etc off every night, have energy light bulbs in all lights, and have gas heating and cooker, so how do you manage to get your elecy dd to £20 a month, ours was £45 and they kept trying to put it up cos it wasnt enough to cover in the winter months, we now pay quarterly about £250-£290 eeekkkk

Ours is only £43 for 3 months:) but there is only 2 of us and we are out all day.

We do make sure we turn off everything after we have finished using it, and have energy efficient lightbulbs all over the house.

When we first moved in we had an old washing machine and fridge/freezer that were left by the previous owners and these old appliances were really guzzling the electricity.

All our appliances are A+ rated now, it makes a real difference.

wow thats amazing, we switch all appliances including the modem and dvd tv etc off every night, have energy light bulbs in all lights, and have gas heating and cooker, so how do you manage to get your elecy dd to £20 a month, ours was £45 and they kept trying to put it up cos it wasnt enough to cover in the winter months, we now pay quarterly about £250-£290 eeekkkk
Try shopping around, we are currently with southern electric, they are very reasonable.
We are looking at switching to a green supplier at the moment, our bills will probably go up a small amount but we feel it's worth it to use green energy.
Try one of the comparison sites like Uswitch.

Try shopping around, we are currently with southern electric, they are very reasonable.
We are looking at switching to a green supplier at the moment, our bills will probably go up a small amount but we feel it's worth it to use green energy.
Try one of the comparison sites like Uswitch.

What is your gas bill?

I used u-switch and felt really conned as my bills were more expensive over the 12 motns not less!

Gas £75 per month, elec £60 per month.

What is your gas bill?

I used u-switch and felt really conned as my bills were more expensive over the 12 motns not less!

my gas is £54 a month and elecy must be about £80-85 a month arrrggghhhhh

please check that to see if you are on day and night rates or single rate tariff's.........it makes a huge difference.

thats really interesting stuff as i would like to cut down on our usuage...may i just change the topic slightly for a minute though...

we have had huge bills....its been sorted now and our problem was that we where on the wrong tarrif....many of you may be too.

so if you are on day and night readings....its economy 7.....great if you work shifts and use most of your electricity at night or have immersion heaters...but very costly otherwise as economy 7 day rates are nearly twice as much as standard single rates !!!

so you would need to ring your supplier and ask to be switched to a single rate tarif....great one at the mo is Click Energy 3 by British Gas.

HTH
Angie, I am so pleased that you were finally able to get to the bottom of this. Will you be able to get back any of your money?

Angie, I am so pleased that you were finally able to get to the bottom of this. Will you be able to get back any of your money?

well i left and went back to them in nov 04...so thats as far back as they can go...so they backdated the difference in the tariffs from then to now and credited my account with £525...so yes...result !!.they agreed that i was on the wrong tarrif....and shouldn't have been put on economy 3

well i left and went back to them in nov 04...so thats as far back as they can go...so they backdated the difference in the tariffs from then to now and credited my account with £525...so yes...result !!.they agreed that i was on the wrong tarrif....and shouldn't have been put on economy 3
Thats Fantastic, and has no doubt come in dead handy :hug:

Thats Fantastic, and has no doubt come in dead handy :hug:

i wish...they ain't sent me the money ... just taken it off the debt they put on in the first place...:lol:....but ta for the :hug: .. needed that ...xxx

i wish...they ain't sent me the money ... just taken it off the debt they put on in the first place...:lol:....but ta for the :hug: .. needed that ...xxx
Oops guess I read that wrong :o

All good though

And here you go have another :hug:

xxx

What is your gas bill?

Gas is where we don't have much choice. Don't all laugh at once girls, but we don't have mains gas in our village.
We use LPG (Calor) gas for heating and hot water, but even with that we've been told we're low usage for the amount of us and size of house etc.
I'm a real meanie with the heating, if the kids get cold, I always make sure they have a jumper, socks and slippers on before I relent and switch it on.:twisted: You'd be surprised how quickly they warm up with an extra layer, and I get loads of hormonal hot flushes anyway, don't need to much heat. Plus my hubby's a hottie!:Grope::lol:

Latest posts

Back