whats a good hourly rate?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam washo

Reaction score
Iv just been offered a job in a small village salon.

The only thing is I dont know how much to ask an hour.

Im still getting my time down so dont expect top price but want to get a good wage

Can anyone help!

Thanks

sam washo said:
Iv just been offered a job in a small village salon.

The only thing is I dont know how much to ask an hour.

Im still getting my time down so dont expect top price but want to get a good wage

Can anyone help!

Thanks
I think an average amount is £6 per hour - some a little more and some a little less.

I guess it will depend on where you live. I am from Texas, USA and here the minimum wage is $5.15. I am a salon owner and when I get new employees right out of school I pay them minimum for about 2 months. Then from there I do commission. Some people prefer getting paid by hour than by getting minimum wage. I find that my employees make more money getting paid by commission. You could ask around to see what the starting rate goes for nail techs where you live. I hope this helps.

Nidia

If you get offered more than the minum wage, it is considered a fair offerin the nail industry. Even if the hourly rate is dire, you will get practice and then be able to renegotiate when your speed builds. Good luck!

I would not accept the minimum wage for being a fully trained and capable Nail Technician, I have invested time and money in developing my skills and

I would however accept the min wage if I was not trained or had any work experience in the industry.

IMO £5.50 is a good starting point if you are qualified and have actual client experience.

Louise - I agree with you 100% and that is why I am working from home.

NailNovice2 said:
Louise - I agree with you 100% and that is why I am working from home.

Hi Christine - likewise this is my plan now a lovely little home salon...

Louise - I think it is the only way for me to recoup all the money I have invested. My hubby thinks I have just a rather expensive hobby! Oh dear -it is tough at the bottom!

At least at home you are your own boss and nobody to be 'grateful' to xxx

Hi

I employ my staff on a hourly rate and then commision on top. So i would ask for around £5.00 plus say 10-15% after your wages are covered. You dont want to out price your self and the busier you get the more you will earn. It is unrealistic to expect a big hourly rate especially when you are new and have no clietns and limited experience. IMO. The salon obviously needs to stay in business.

I agree with Carole, and the others as well, its all down to experience, and knowledge. The more you have the more you can expect. Where i live the wages for a tech that is new is only about £4 an hour. You can actually earn more stacking shelves in Somerfields. But at least at a salon you can gain very useful experience, then you could ask for more and negotiate a better deal later on.

Latest posts

Back