Quantcast

whats a good hourly rate?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

sam washo

Reaction score
Iv just been offered a job in a small village salon.

The only thing is I dont know how much to ask an hour.

Im still getting my time down so dont expect top price but want to get a good wage

Can anyone help!

Thanks

Carole Lindsay

Reaction score
sam washo said:
Iv just been offered a job in a small village salon.

The only thing is I dont know how much to ask an hour.

Im still getting my time down so dont expect top price but want to get a good wage

Can anyone help!

Thanks
I think an average amount is £6 per hour - some a little more and some a little less.

ns21

Reaction score
I guess it will depend on where you live. I am from Texas, USA and here the minimum wage is $5.15. I am a salon owner and when I get new employees right out of school I pay them minimum for about 2 months. Then from there I do commission. Some people prefer getting paid by hour than by getting minimum wage. I find that my employees make more money getting paid by commission. You could ask around to see what the starting rate goes for nail techs where you live. I hope this helps.

Nidia

Urban Geek

Mobile Nail technician
Reaction score
If you get offered more than the minum wage, it is considered a fair offerin the nail industry. Even if the hourly rate is dire, you will get practice and then be able to renegotiate when your speed builds. Good luck!

Fab Freak

Reaction score
I would not accept the minimum wage for being a fully trained and capable Nail Technician, I have invested time and money in developing my skills and

I would however accept the min wage if I was not trained or had any work experience in the industry.

IMO £5.50 is a good starting point if you are qualified and have actual client experience.

Urban Geek

Mobile Nail technician
Reaction score
Louise - I agree with you 100% and that is why I am working from home.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
NailNovice2 said:
Louise - I agree with you 100% and that is why I am working from home.
Hi Christine - likewise this is my plan now a lovely little home salon...

Urban Geek

Mobile Nail technician
Reaction score
Louise - I think it is the only way for me to recoup all the money I have invested. My hubby thinks I have just a rather expensive hobby! Oh dear -it is tough at the bottom!

At least at home you are your own boss and nobody to be 'grateful' to xxx

Little Angel

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi

I employ my staff on a hourly rate and then commision on top. So i would ask for around £5.00 plus say 10-15% after your wages are covered. You dont want to out price your self and the busier you get the more you will earn. It is unrealistic to expect a big hourly rate especially when you are new and have no clietns and limited experience. IMO. The salon obviously needs to stay in business.

talented talons

Master Artist
Reaction score
I agree with Carole, and the others as well, its all down to experience, and knowledge. The more you have the more you can expect. Where i live the wages for a tech that is new is only about £4 an hour. You can actually earn more stacking shelves in Somerfields. But at least at a salon you can gain very useful experience, then you could ask for more and negotiate a better deal later on.

Latest posts