What's been your experience in nail school? W/Question about CND

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missashhh

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I've been following this board for awhile now and have made a few newbie posts here and there..but I am proud to say I am officially a student!

Anyway, I was curious what other's experience has been with beauty school?? Previously I completed a 2 year college degree where information and assignments were packed FULL into every minute of every class. Nail school doesn't seem to be ANYTHING like that and it's been a little disappointing/frustrating, even other students have expressed the same feelings. It seems like there's SO much to learn! However I find a lot of class room time is being totally and obviously wasted. We're learning the basics and getting to practice a little..but structure and instruction (or lack thereof) is honestly unlike any course I've ever experience (but maybe I'm comparing too much to college?).

I have a lot of questions about different brands and methods..do I just need to be patient? Do I have to wait to take classes w/brands if I want product knowledge.. Even if basic? Am I wanting too much out of this? I'm trying to remind myself that I'm taking this course to get some basics, get my service hours, and get my license so I can work.

Finally...I've read a lot on this board about the importance of using "systems" from base coat to lamps, through and through. I noticed at school we have shellac CND but the UV lamps are not CND brand? Before I even considered this school I verified that it is accredited through our State Board of Cosmo and many other organizationa recognize it as being accredited. I was just curious on the thoughts from others on this board about that little tid bit of information.

Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T399 using SalonGeek mobile app

Bump

My experience has been that cosmetology school teaches you the basics. You are able to pass the state boards with the knowledge you have.

Then, it's up to you to get further education. I highly recommend further education with a reputable company like, CND, OPI, etc. Always purchase from authorized distributors of the system you choose.

I felt the same way about nail school. There did seem to be wasted time but you can use that time, wisely. Ask questions, take notes then do research. I love looking up new things and learning about them.

Invest in some good books like 'Nail Structure and Product Chemistry' by Doug Schoon. Strive to be the best nail technician you can be and you will be successful.

Best of luck to you! :hug:

Thanks!! OK, that makes me feel better a little. I just didn't want to feel like I was getting ripped off. There is a boot camp for BioSculpture I'm going to sign up for, I'm able to do it once I complete 3/4 of nail school. I'm so excited for that! I know I will learn a lot there. And yes I fully intend to get Doug Schoons book...read some of the snipits and I can tell it will be an amazing book!

Sounds like a plan! :)

Latest posts

Back