What's easier for you acrylic or gel extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaEx

Reaction score
Hi everyone just wondering what's easier for you to do acrylic or gel? I just do gel at the moment because renting a room in a hairdressers they can't stand the smell of acrylic liquid.

Also how long does it take for you to do acrylic and gel? Any differents? Thanks! x

I personally find acrylic much much easier to actually shape and sculpt with opposed to gel, but the difficult part with acrylic is getting the knack of mix ratio and the fact that it's a race against the clock, I actually find gel really easy to work with also too, aslong as its not a very thin runny one, I just can't deal with it but my problem with gel is that it's a single viscosity and because you can just keep playing with it I keep tweaking it to make it "perfect" and because of faffing about with it too much for example getting the perfect shape free edge, the body of the nail starts to self level and sink, where as acrylic once you've mastered it you strategically work with the cure rate of the product as the viscosity changes over time, so for example when doing a reverse French you can drain the liquid out of your bead to get the ledge to but the White up to, or you place your bead and focus on tapering the back of the bead flush with the natural nail when it's at its wettest, then when you go to work on the shape of your smile line the products set up enough for you to tweak the smile line shape, where as with gel you swing in your smile line, and you've got to be quick because if you keep tweaking it for too long trying to elongate it and get it shaped perfect that ledge will sink and you won't get the crisp line when you go to file it after applying your white... Sorry I ramble but hope you get what I mean x

I personally find acrylic much much easier to actually shape and sculpt with opposed to gel, but the difficult part with acrylic is getting the knack of mix ratio and the fact that it's a race against the clock, I actually find gel really easy to work with also too, aslong as its not a very thin runny one, I just can't deal with it but my problem with gel is that it's a single viscosity and because you can just keep playing with it I keep tweaking it to make it "perfect" and because of faffing about with it too much for example getting the perfect shape free edge, the body of the nail starts to self level and sink, where as acrylic once you've mastered it you strategically work with the cure rate of the product as the viscosity changes over time, so for example when doing a reverse French you can drain the liquid out of your bead to get the ledge to but the White up to, or you place your bead and focus on tapering the back of the bead flush with the natural nail when it's at its wettest, then when you go to work on the shape of your smile line the products set up enough for you to tweak the smile line shape, where as with gel you swing in your smile line, and you've got to be quick because if you keep tweaking it for too long trying to elongate it and get it shaped perfect that ledge will sink and you won't get the crisp line when you go to file it after applying your white... Sorry I ramble but hope you get what I mean x
Yes i'm exactly like you with the keep tweaking it to make it ''perfect''! Though i am on time i just find myself doing that and it takes to long then i rush it cause i get fed up and have to file a lot because i sometimes rush lol! Looking at tutorials of acrylic on youtube makes me want to train in it because it looks less hassle free if you know what i mean,

I find acrylic so easy, just comes natural, hard gel extensions the thought makes me wanna cry!

Acrylic definitely

Once you find your mojo with acrylic it's a dream to work with

Am I the only one who loves gel compared to acrylic? Lol

Aaaaw man! Lol, maybe I just need to try harder with acrylic so I like it more! Lol

If you love gel stick with it! Do what your good at!! And gel is becoming more and more popular

I do love it, I like the flexibility of it and how light it feels, maybe you're right and I should stick with what I know! :) x

Latest posts

Back