What's going wrong with my gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffytuty

Reaction score
I've tried 3 different salons now but it always ends the same way.

My nails flake and split probably due to diabetes and stress, so I like to get gelish when I have some time to myself.

First time it lasted a week then it just lifted off, almost no picking. I figured it was because I used a cheap salon. Dark grey with a glitter top coat if it matters.

Second time the edges started to come away after day 3, I resisted the urge to pick till they were catching on my clothing after day 7. Plain shimmery silver colour.

Third time and they are chipping along the top edge and starting to lift at the cuticles. It's day 3. I have an interview on Tuesday (a very important one). Fawn coour with a glitter through it.

Each time they did it the same, manicure, pH bond, base, colour and top coat.

I try to use rubber gloves to wash up, I do use the computer a lot and my hands are washed a lot what with me studying microbiology at college.

Anyone any idea or a suggestion for a different brand to try?

I've tried 3 different salons now but it always ends the same way.

My nails flake and split probably due to diabetes and stress, so I like to get gelish when I have some time to myself.

First time it lasted a week then it just lifted off, almost no picking. I figured it was because I used a cheap salon. Dark grey with a glitter top coat if it matters.

Second time the edges started to come away after day 3, I resisted the urge to pick till they were catching on my clothing after day 7. Plain shimmery silver colour.

Third time and they are chipping along the top edge and starting to lift at the cuticles. It's day 3. I have an interview on Tuesday (a very important one). Fawn coour with a glitter through it.

Each time they did it the same, manicure, pH bond, base, colour and top coat.

I try to use rubber gloves to wash up, I do use the computer a lot and my hands are washed a lot what with me studying microbiology at college.

Anyone any idea or a suggestion for a different brand to try?

Try Shellac - Problem is that the nail underneath may be quite fragile already with what you describe... I'd personally (and I'm no nail geek!) give them a few weeks rest and apply Nail Magic to the nails - did wonders for my nails - it's quite expensive for a very small bottle but it WORKS :) My nails used to flake and I have to say they are so much stronger now and haven't flaked at all... worth giving a try :)

If you can find yourself a salon that retails solar oil, I would suggest you get some and apply it regularly to get your nails and cuticle back to good health. Your nails sound quite weak at the moment so maybe (if you're adamant on Gelish) you can ask if the tech can give your nails some added strength with structure gel. Find yourself a legit Gelish tech, not some cheap salon that does it for dirt cheap and offers no aftercare advice. We have many lovely and experienced techs here that could probably sort you out if they're nearby :) hopefully one comes by and sends you a message or if you see one, you could send them one. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back