What's happened here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sallyl

Reaction score
I hope I have attached the photo! Client came back today after having her nails done by one of my employees, she says this happens everytime, any ideas what would cause this, she only ever nips the non living tissue and our tools are always sterilised x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 797
How long ago did she have her nails done?

Hi I think I saw this same problem in another thread and someone said it's the acetone on the skin causing it x

When did she have them done?

looks like a reaction as her skin is inflamed around the area too ? or she could be a picker :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

looks like a reaction as her skin is inflamed around the area too ? or she could be a picker :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app
She picked off that gel polish. Probably with her teeth. The peeling skin is likely a combination of her pulling the skin back in hang nail like strips and a reaction. I'm sorry, but that's a bad polish job and poor cuticle work to begin with.

How old is that manicure?

Is it a Shellac manicure, have you ever dealt with this client before? - performing the same treatment? My first thoughts were nibbler/picker. Has the client been regularly using solar oil?

If her "friend" is doing it, if the friend is unqualified (& by the look of this job I'm assuming she is no professional!) the products she is using probably aren't pro. I dont think she's a picker, how can she be the index finger is still intact! To me it looks like over sensitisation to product therefore allergic reaction due to overexposure of product, this is worsened especially if the cuticle area is flooded with product & it continually touches the skin. The moral of the story..... She needs to Stop cutting corners & get a professional in for the job!!

Ouch that looks sore. I have no idea what would have caused that but very interested to hear. I agree with a previous poster though that it looks like a poor polish job.

If her "friend" is doing it, if the friend is unqualified (& by the look of this job I'm assuming she is no professional!) the products she is using probably aren't pro. I dont think she's a picker, how can she be the index finger is still intact! To me it looks like over sensitisation to product therefore allergic reaction due to overexposure of product, this is worsened especially if the cuticle area is flooded with product & it continually touches the skin. The moral of the story..... She needs to Stop cutting corners & get a professional in for the job!!
The OP said her colleague had done these nails so I'm guessing it isn't a 'friend' kinda situation.

Saying that, they don't look like they've had a professional service...

to me these look like your client has been overexposed to a chemical, could be anything from cuticle remover to acetone to prep products or even the shellac itself.

This looks like it is the start of an allergic reaction, and if it is there is no cure ,her reaction will get worse every time.

The cuticle are clearly flooded, repeated exposure to uncured gel like this is leaving your clients wide open for overexposure.

Sorry guys, I had no signal all day! They are vinylux and the lady only came in for a file and polish so on this occasion the therapist ( because the cuticles were so bad) applied cuticle eraser and just pushed back cuticles as much as she could with orange stick. Then painted them, they were done a week ago and this was yesterday and yes the client is a picker!! Lol she admits she picks the polish but she's trying not to pick the skin. I was thinking over exposure to something so may tell the therapist not to use any cuticle eraser next time just to see, it's so hard cause she has awful cuticles but only ever books in for a file and polish and we have tried to get her to use solar oil! I think I might give her one free just to try and get her to use it. Thanks for the suggestions xxx

It's more than likely the prep products she's reacting to, so your cuticle away or scrub fresh.

to be honest , i would not perform any further treatments on this client. Its obvious that she is having a reaction of some kind, and this reaction is only to get worse. To perform another manicure on her knowing she will have a reaction is gross negligence (or at least it will be viewed that way by your insurance company) and you will not be covered if she ever decided to take it further (and she has 3 years to decide this).

You should refuse treatment and send her to her doctor who can maybe find out what she is reacting to.

Hi folks. I'm newly qualified but did a gel polish on my friend who's Cuticles looked similar....she too is a picker, didn't use oil and didn't look after her nails. The Cuticles were a nightmare to tidy up & she's diabetic so couldn't use any metal implements....one nail had a small very faint yellow mark in the middle of one nail, which you couldn't see until she pointed it out but said it hadn't changed or anything....this + the state of the Cuticles, I sent her to see GP. She went to the pharmacist who suspected very early stages of fungal infection & sent her to her GP for medication.

It's more than likely the prep products she's reacting to, so your cuticle away or scrub fresh.

to be honest , i would not perform any further treatments on this client. Its obvious that she is having a reaction of some kind, and this reaction is only to get worse. To perform another manicure on her knowing she will have a reaction is gross negligence (or at least it will be viewed that way by your insurance company) and you will not be covered if she ever decided to take it further (and she has 3 years to decide this).

You should refuse treatment and send her to her doctor who can maybe find out what she is reacting to.
This is great advise...this type of reaction is a warning.
We live in a 'where there's blame' society. It really wouldn't be worth it. Put your business head on, you're now not insured to do any treatment.
I would refer her to a doctor.

Thanks guys xx I've passed all the info on to my employee and will let the client know too xx thanks for all your help x

FWIW sallyl - I agree with Noreen - that's an allergic reaction but this will have building for a while - the only other thing it could be is some form of Psoriasis... Dr's all the way!!

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1446583153.964385.jpg

Hey guys I just wanted to let you all know, The lady came back after using the solar oil we gave her, we performed a mani without using cuticle away and she was fine! We used scrub fresh but very careful to only go close to but not touch the cuticle. She's very happy with the result so fingers crossed she will be ok from now on x thanks for all your help xx

Latest posts

Back