What's happening here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJo1980

Reaction score
This used to be a place for true professionals to come and advise and discuss things with other professionals, but it all seems to be going mad!

Correct me if Im wrong, but do aspiring professional hairdressers not wish to be the best they can possibly be, and as highly regarded and respected in their field as possible? If so, does that not mean accepting the advise given to them gratefully?

Buying the cheapest hair, or the cheapest colour or product will not get you high end results. i understand that these are tough economic times, but I truly believe that you must speculate to accumulate, and that means paying a premium for the products and equipment you use.

Its disheartening when I come on and see qualified hairdressers advising others to use low end products/hair/etc. Its simply not the best practice, and you will not gain respect for it. "That'll do" Just wont do in my book.

Think about it, would Trevor Sorbie, Vidal Sassoon and such like have generic peroxides or XP colours in their colour room, or shampoo's obtainable from Sallys on the backbar? No! Because they decided they would strive for excellence - and that means using excellent products and equipment.

My advice to Newbies and Aspiring ones;

All peroxides, tints, hair extensions, shampoos, products are pretty much the same?
No
Pay for the best, Use the best, Charge the best and BE the best.
Buy cheap = Be regarded that way

JoJo xx

Peace out Jo Jo. Profound and wise words my beautiful freind :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Nice post please could you elabiorate on what you consider to be the best colour, shampoo, conditioners etc As you clearly know your stuff?

This used to be a place for true professionals to come and advise and discuss things with other professionals, but it all seems to be going mad!

Correct me if Im wrong, but do aspiring professional hairdressers not wish to be the best they can possibly be, and as highly regarded and respected in their field as possible? If so, does that not mean accepting the advise given to them gratefully?

Buying the cheapest hair, or the cheapest colour or product will not get you high end results. i understand that these are tough economic times, but I truly believe that you must speculate to accumulate, and that means paying a premium for the products and equipment you use.

Its disheartening when I come on and see qualified hairdressers advising others to use low end products/hair/etc. Its simply not the best practice, and you will not gain respect for it. "That'll do" Just wont do in my book.

Think about it, would Trevor Sorbie, Vidal Sassoon and such like have generic peroxides or XP colours in their colour room, or shampoo's obtainable from Sallys on the backbar? No! Because they decided they would strive for excellence - and that means using excellent products and equipment.

All peroxides, tints, hair extensions, shampoos, products are pretty much the same?
No

JoJo xx

All of the above is true, but unfortunately, people have become stingy with their money when it comes to certain things but happily part with it when it comes to others. The amount that some people spend on booze during an average weekend is pretty big, but these same people will haggle with you until they are blue in the face and ready to die. A woman who wanted extensions for her wedding haggled with me over 20 pounds. If that's your attitude towards your wedding, then that says it all. Needless to say, I spent as little as I could get away with on the hair for her, and you know what? I didn't feel bad about it at all, because in my opinion, she didn't deserve any better. If that's the general stinky attitude of clients these days, then there is no point in offering them anything that is outstanding, because they will invariably tell you they know better, they love using Pantene and that you should shut up anyway. Personally, I believe most people cannot be helped.

Totally agree! Makes me so mad seeing aspiring stylists ignore sound advice,
I'm fairly newly qualified and if I'm
Given advice by someone more experienced I listen and I'm grateful!! There's still a lot for me to learn and I know that, shame others in my position can't realise that too, it makes all us young ones look ignorant :(
Xxx

Nice post please could you elabiorate on what you consider to be the best colour, shampoo, conditioners etc As you clearly know your stuff?

Mm, the OP did that by advising to purchase only quality named brands and not cheap generic (Sally's) brands.

I take that to mean choosing products from companies like Joico, Redken, Paul Mitchell, Aveda, Wella, Fudge, TiGi etc.

Avoid cheap (supermarket quality) own brand generic products by Salon Services etc.

Mm, the OP did that by advising to purchase only quality named brands and not cheap generic (Sally's) brands.

I take that to mean choosing products from companies like Joico, Redken, Paul Mitchell, Aveda, Wella, Fudge, TiGi etc.

Avoid cheap (supermarket quality) own brand generic products by Salon Services etc.

Exactly. There are many many good quality brands available, but you cant get them in Sally's!
I completely understand the need to make as much profit as possible out of any service - its business after all, but it shouldnt be at the cost of your own professional integrity. If you use the cheap stuff, and feel fine about it, then thats great, but I feel its irresponsible to advise others to follow suit especially when they have come on this site for experienced advice and are simply looking to better themselves.
I mean, lets be responsible with the advice we give, and think about what we are saying to the next generation of great hairdressers. We have a responsibility to help them be as great as possible when we answer their questions, dont we?

No

JoJo xx

I agree with the above Im not a fan of sally's because they sell to the public but it's not true to say they don't sell quality products. They stock Wella, L'oreal etc. But I dislike the snobbery in Hairdressing I agree you have to spend money to make money but many hairdressers have different needs and different client bases. Its unrealistic for a mobile hairdresser to use hi-end products because there business would not be profitable and they wouldn't even be able to obtain the likes of Redken, Paul Mitchell,krastase etc because they are not available in wholesalers and have a minimum order exceeding thousands and will only sell to salons. And as to comments raised I don't recall anyone advocating the use sally's of own brand shampoo.

What you consider to be quality products differs from mine many hairdresser's have been brainwashed into facts that are not actually true because the hair industry is virtually a cartel know. L'oreal, Proctor and Gamble, Henkel and Estee Lauder own virtually every product in the industry even Tigi is owned by Unilever. And when these companies acquire a brand they adjust the formula making them much cheaper to produce and then use there resources to advertise the products. Also as the beauty industry is not governed with strict guidelines like pharmaceutic products they can make claims that are not backed up by clinical research. For example many people believe that Pureology is one of the best Shampoo brands on the market If you actually researched this you would be shocked to discover that it performs worse then well known shampoo's available from any supermarket.

No

JoJo xx

Absolutely love it jo jo!!

Excellent post and well said :) we should give professional advise using our experiences and extensive knowledge in the field as examples, the sudden 'it'll do' attitude I agree is just not good enough :( and to me may as well start promoting box dyes as thats their attitude and its disgusting.

I personally refuse to use Sally's not saying what they sell are rubbish, as they are still salon pro however they do sell the lower end of the salon pro ranges. Matrix used to be good but well changed and turned rubbish and cheap without reflecting that in their cost! And they are open to the public, how can you retail home are when they can walk into Sally's and buy it cheaper!?!? Plus customer can see how much it costs for a tube and think theyre getting ripped off as people never think of the main value is our knowledge and time. Plus they all seem to think its easy and have a go themselves.

If I get haggled to change my price (happened once) I point blank refuse, my price is my price and I set my price fairly and as I believe my work is worth (well I believe I am worth higher but start low ish and increase over the years) anyway, never ever lower your standards to meet a customers price expectations, let them go and have their hair done cheaply and come back to you to have it done properly, never lower your standards to meat a price they set, may as well open a pay what you think it's worth policy?!?!

To SI... My dear friend on here, I was a mobile stylist for 6 years, and have very high standards! Refused to use cheap products to gain a profit, I used products i felt gave the best quality, long lasting colours, coverage, versatility and price came last, I then charged based on my costs needed to cover with my profit margin on top. Some people felt i was expensive, which was fine they could go to someone pay less and have mediocre hair colour. I personally believe in being in it for the long haul, hate quick fixes, and making a quick buck so to speak, I believe in setting your standard and believing in it and it will take time but your reputation will be high and you will end up more profitable in the long run, rather than selling out having a good few years and then losing so much rep due to using mediocre products that you never get out of that clientele and set yourself up to be that way for the rest of your career :(

Well said! And I wholeheartedly agree.

To Si- FYI minimum order for Reken, Pureology and suchlike is £100...... Hardly in the thousands. A common misconception for those who havent bothered to look in to it and written off the higher quality brands as out of their league :)

. For example many people believe that Pureology is one of the best Shampoo brands on the market If you actually researched this you would be shocked to discover that it performs worse then well known shampoo's available from any supermarket.

Shock me! Im intrigued as to your knowledge in this x

That's funny cos I can't keep pureology on the shelves..... I love it , my staff love it and clients can't get enough.... There is not one OTC SHAMPOO that would compare!!
Just because a conglomerate buys a company does not mean they change or cheapen formulations.... You could say that these big congregates spend considerably more on R &D
People love to bash the big companies , but where would hairdressing be today without the likes on Eugene Schiller and loreal?

Ive never heard anything more ridiculous in my life big companies change the formulation because they have endless amounts of money to put into research and development they wouldnt spend hundreds of thousands of pounds to make a product worse !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Also as the beauty industry is not governed with strict guidelines like pharmaceutic products they can make claims that are not backed up by clinical research.

Sorry, but you're getting confused.

1. A Guideline is simply advisory and not compulsory. If you are asked to follow 'x guidelines', all that is required of you is to consider them. You may reasonably conclude that those particular guidelines are not relevant to your situation.

2. A Regulation on the other hand is a Govt. piece of legislation that has to be complied with. You cannot choose to avoid compliance.

In the UK, any company that makes a misleading claim about its products or services can be prosecuted by Trading Standards. If as a hairdresser, you are selling a shampoo product but claim it will permanently change the colour of the client's hair, then you can be prosecuted for mis-selling that product.

Companies (including Salons and hairdressers working as sole traders) have to be very careful how they word their promotional material and cannot simply make up spurious claims as to the benefits of using a specific product. There have been numerous prosecutions over the years to enforce this legislation.

Ive never heard anything more ridiculous in my life big companies change the formulation because they have endless amounts of money to put into research and development they wouldnt spend hundreds of thousands of pounds to make a product worse !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Here we go again Theden attack attack attack! Before you dismiss peoples opinions you should actually check the facts. Was I agressive in anyway to you?

Please read the following Another One Bites The Dust: L’Oreal Buys PureOlogy
Pureology and L'Oreal

Confessions of a Shop-a-Holic: PUREOLOGY: Less than Pure

And this is how well pureology compares to other shampoo
http://www.stylistnewspapers.com/pureologychallenge.pdf

L'oreal have mad a number of changes to the formula of pureology.

And as to claims made by cosmetic companies they are ludicrous I should know iv worked for Lauder selling face cream that said it could lift the skin a fact that is impossible for a moisturiser.

I've read All of this before.... Most of its pseudo science.... A huge part of the argument is about water being the main ingredient now.... It always was, just now it has to be listed...
I use them day in and day out and can honestly say ty WORK!! I've been in this game or twenty years and have worked for " household names"
Why are thy attacking pureology, a comparitively small brand? BECAUSE IT WORKS!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...=-OxleO3JWDOjTE0rkO1Jaw&bvm=bv.51156542,d.d2k its amazing what you can find out on the internet, fairies really do exist as well.

All the hair companies claim to be the best, most colour saving, shine inducing and value for money. It is up to us as stylists to try them out and choose which one we find the best. Plenty of bogus homemade websites out there to prove anything you want to 'prove', be it positive or negative.
Aim for the best you can use and supply, and I as a mobile hairdresser do afford high end colours and use brand name developers, its only pence more per client and so worth it for the improved result

Si 82, what concerns me is why you have such a particular hatred for a brand of shampoo. Are you a secret shill sent by label M or something? Because that's what you sound like.

My guess is that you are peddling a range of organic shampoo, and are doing your very best to discredit your main competition on a salon forum.

If I'm completely wrong, and you're just an everyday hairdresser with a pathological hatred for Pureology, then can I suggest you get a hobby. Xx

Latest posts

Back