Whats the etiquette when you open a new salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some tips or suggestions in this area? I'm soon to qualify, and have already arranged to rent a new nail bar within a local tanning salon. I've noticed that there is a nail salon directly over the road, and whilst I want to be pro active in starting up my business and make it a success, I dont want to tread on anyones toes or start a turf war!! I'm quite confident that there's plenty of business out there for all of us without causing problems for other fellow nailys. I was going to go in and see what her prices are and make sure I charge the same rather than under-cutting her, but perhaps she might think its a bit of a cheek for me to go in and start nicking her prices or something, especailly since I'll be newly qualified!! I'm just not sure if its best to go and introduce myself, or should I just get on with it, mind my own business and start doing nails???
So, can anyone give me any ideas in this area, or just any advice that you think might be useful for a newie about to go self employed??

Although in an ideal world, it would be lovely to go and introduce yourself and be buddies, but in the real world..............that ain't gonna happen.

You're running a business so you should just focus on your business and do what you can to generate income. She's never going to praise you and what you do to any of her clients, so I wouldn't think about it any more. Just imagine she's not there as you'll always be rivals in business.

Although in an ideal world, it would be lovely to go and introduce yourself and be buddies, but in the real world..............that ain't gonna happen.

You're running a business so you should just focus on your business and do what you can to generate income. She's never going to praise you and what you do to any of her clients, so I wouldn't think about it any more. Just imagine she's not there as you'll always be rivals in business.
Sadly I think the brow queen has said it all,it's a cut throat business and whereas it would be so nice if you could say"Hi I'm..... hope we can be friends",it just wont happen.Not unless you merge with her business.

Be strong,business like and professional,smile when you see the other staff,dont slag them off to you clients,even if they tell you they have had a bad experience in that salon.Show the other side you are 100% professional and do good nails.

Good luck though and hope your appointment book is soon full.xx:hug:

Thanks for that guys, I do tend to have my rosy specs on a lot of the time and think that we can all be good buddies, but it seems that the best foot forward is to be professional and proactive, and nothing more!
One other question though, what do you think the best way is to advertise, and how long roughly do you think it takes to build up a reasonable flow of business? I'm biting the bullet and leaving quite a well paid job to pursue my ambition of running my own business, and whilst I know that I need to leave my job so I can focus my energy on my new business, I have to admit its a bit scary and I'm wondering how long it will be before I start to get a reasonable flow of business. I've arranged for front of shop advertising, a yellow pages listing, business cards, I'll be creating a website, and might consider local press advertising. Have I left out a really significant one, or is this a bit ott already? I'm v grateful for any advice.

Thanks for that guys, I do tend to have my rosy specs on a lot of the time and think that we can all be good buddies, but it seems that the best foot forward is to be professional and proactive, and nothing more!
One other question though, what do you think the best way is to advertise, and how long roughly do you think it takes to build up a reasonable flow of business? I'm biting the bullet and leaving quite a well paid job to pursue my ambition of running my own business, and whilst I know that I need to leave my job so I can focus my energy on my new business, I have to admit its a bit scary and I'm wondering how long it will be before I start to get a reasonable flow of business. I've arranged for front of shop advertising, a yellow pages listing, business cards, I'll be creating a website, and might consider local press advertising. Have I left out a really significant one, or is this a bit ott already? I'm v grateful for any advice.

Have you thought about a grand opening?advertise in the local paper,have drinks,nibbles 20% off treatment booked on the first day,demos,tasters etc?
On your leaflets have a cut out coupon that clients can bring along to grand opening which allows 20% off first treatment,this HAS to be booked at grand opening.

It does take a long time to build a business from scratch.What about car advertising,i.e magnets and logos on back window??

Hey hun.

Do you have a business plan in place? Its a really good idea, as it makes you think about your competitors and what their strong points are etc.

Have you thought about getting some mates together and getting some promotional Tshirts printed with your business name on them, try to think up a slogan to put on the back, getting into your local high st and giving out leaflets with a discount offer on them?

A for the tech over the road, dont expect her to welcome you with open arms lol! :lol: As you are newly qualified, its up to you if you offer your nails at a reduced price while you get up to speed - then increase them.

As babsann said - an opening is a great idea! xx

Latest posts

Back