Whats the one book you recommend?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzyo

Reaction score
What is the one book you would recommend or rave about for someone getting into your industry? What couldn't you be without for your ultimate reference guide?

For me its my Massage Therapists Guide to Pathology, it describes over 200 conditions, symptons, causes, and how massage can help / affect them. Its utterly fantastic.

It was a choice between that and my Anatomy Colouring Book which got me through my A&P, but the Pathology guide is something I refer to regularly.

Mat xx

Book is here: Amazon.com: A Massage Therapist's Guide to Pathology: A Diagnostic Guide to Neurologic Levels (Recall Series): Books: Ruth Werner

What is the one book you would recommend or rave about for someone getting into your industry? What couldn't you be without for your ultimate reference guide?

Oh crikey, good question - can I have more than one for each bit of my job, lol??

For anyone serious about getting into massage or wanting to discover the musculoskeletal system in any depth, I'd recommend "The Trail Guide To The Body" by Andrew Biel - a fascinating, hands-on guide to locating muscles, bones and joints, and really beautifully illustrated. I can quite happily just flick through the book for pleasure and it really does a fantastic job of making the subject come alive.

I also love "Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me" and "The Beauty Bible" by Paula Begoun, although both titles are a bit out-of-date now and the author tends to share a lot of her new research through her e-newsletters and website (Paula Begoun - The Cosmetics Cop - Paula's Choice). They are aimed more at consumers, but Paula is notorious within the American cosmetics industry for basically dispelling a lot of the myths and cutting through the marketing rubbish that some skincare companies come out with. Both books are real eye-openers and thought-provoking titles.

My all-time number one recommendation, however, is "Encyclopedia of Hair Removal" by Gill Morris and Janice Brown - a must-have for anyone in the hair removal industry, whether waxing, sugaring, electrolysis or IPL. A&P, case-studies, advanced knowledge sections - it has it all. The best book currently on the market on the subject, in my humble opinion.

Andy x

Latest posts

Back