What's the right way to do this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toodamglam

Reaction score
Hi everyone I really need some help, I currently rent the beauty rooms and nail desks in my sisters hair dressing salon. At the moment i work in there for 3 days a week but it's getting busier now and needs someone all the time to be doing beauty. Now can I employ another therapist to work the other days or should I have someone self employed and I will supply everything they just need to sort out tax& ni.

I'm really stuck as I'm not sure what is the best way.

Thanks in advance

I guess it depends how much control you want! or how much control your willing to give up!

x

I do want to have control over what happens but feel a bit worried about having an employee and all the paper work that goes with it rather than a self employed therapist who works on commission . Also as I'm only renting rooms can I have employees in eyes of law....ow it's all so confusing!

I have had the same dilemma over the last few months, at the moment it is me full time (10-11 hour days) am knackered, and I have self employed girls coming in offering things I don't such as teeth whitening, sports massage etc, I was going to have a self employed beauty therapist to join me, to do all the treatments I offer, but after talking to lots of other business owners decided to employ someone, so I have more control over them and can make more money ( hopefully) very scary, interviewed 10 girls and finally found one who is going to be great and starts in July !
Good luck with your decision x

I am in the same position as you and would be interested in hearing peoples views x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I would employ someone that way you can control how they work etc if you get someone self employed the clients they do are theirs and if they decide to leave could take them all with them! A self employed person could spend half their time on their phone and there's not much you could do about it, to keep the same standards employ.

Think a lot of it depends on how many hours you want someone to work, I've had part time self employed girls for a while they are fab but now one has come on full time the tax man says if someone works for you full time and you supply the product then they have to be employed. X

I did this some years ago.
I employed someone to work for me when I got too busy to cope with new clients. I rented my room within another business at the time.
The paye and paperwork was not too difficult and I got a lot of help on how to do that from HMRC or Inland Revenue(whatever they were called at the time!).I also got some funding for her salary for the first few months from a government agency so that woiuld be worth looking into if you are going down this route.

The pros to having an employee are ;
The control !
You set their hours, and what products get used and can ensure their is a uniformity of service.
Cons:
paperwork
Holidays and holiday pay
Employee rights
minimum wage

An employee has loads of rights (rightly so) which you would need to know about, and they really need to be bringing in at least 3 times their wage to make it worth your while.

If they are not busy you still need to pay them, and you need to set aside money for their holiday pay.

I found it a big responsibility being responsible for someones livliehood, and yet some weeks when we had been really quiet, she was taking home a larger wage than me :eek:

I still would think it would be better than getting in a self employed person as what would the legalities of you subletting a room that you already are sub letting?

Thanks for your replies everyone, it's good to get everyone's opinion. Maybe I will start with the self employed route and see how it all goes. X

I wouldn't want someone self employed anywhere near my clients. You've worked hard to build up a client base. I employ 2 part time therapists both are under the threshold for tax and ni so no PAYE to do.

There is a bit of paper work but not much. You could look for someone and use a zero hour contract so when it's not busy you don't have any commitment.

Or just say 12 hours with potential overtime.

Thanks for that info, I think I've just changed my mind again lol. How did u find out about keeping under the tax and ni levels? And if the potential overtime went over tax level would I have to start doing paye?
Ow I feel a bit thick about all this, I never thought it would feel this daunting x

Latest posts

Back