What's your favourite way to break a nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
I always give my customers the relevant after care advice, and I try to warn them of the most common ways to break a nail, for example pulling wet washing out of the washing machine or on the car door handle. I know you cant give them an endless list but its nice for them to know what the most common ways are so they can avoid them. However, the new and unusual ways I hear never cease to amaze me. Personally I broke one of mine a few days ago trying to get into a new tub of ice cream (it was worth the sacrifice!!)

What are the most common reasons for breaking nails that you hear? And what are the more wierd and wonderful ones?

Opening cans I hear alot of grating cheese is a more unusual one for me lol

opening car doors , you have your fingers scooped up so the pressure is from behind the nails

closing car boots , hand slips ... ouchies :D

peeling oranges

opening cans of drinks

"testing" the strength of their nails with their teeth !

ahhh the list goes on :D lol

Last week I did a set of enhancements on a girl , she wanted a full colour coat and chose rubble.

That was thursday..friday she arrived into the salon with 2 broken nails.:rolleyes:.

One was broken far down the nail and was a bit of A MESS.

How did you manage to break 2 nails since yesterday? I asked her.

well she was clubbing .

'I really hope you had alcohol consumed when you broke them or they would have hurt like hell'
yes indeedy.

So I repaired one nail and sent her off to the doctor to have the other one dressed .

I'd imagine alcohol is the culprit in many broken nail episodes but there's not really any way of warning clients about that one is there.

Making beds, especially tucking sheets under the mattress
Vicki x

Wiping down kitchen worktops and hitting them head on when I get too close to the wall..:irked:

Grating cheese! One of my aftercare points is to buy cheese ready grated!!

On cupboards when my hand slips opening them, but my main cause of nail breakages is usually my dog lol

The camel I was having a ride on in Tunisia knelt down a bit too quickly when it was time for me to get off it and I knocked my hand and broke a nail. I also fainted and broke a rib on that holiday but that's another story!😮

The camel I was having a ride on in Tunisia knelt down a bit too quickly when it was time for me to get off it and I knocked my hand and broke a nail. I also fainted and broke a rib on that holiday but that's another story!😮

IMO you get the gold star for the most unusual 🌟

Opening a harness of a baby car seat.

Opening a harness of a baby car seat.

Yip carseats, sliding doors, hitting nail on kitchen tiles while cleaning work tops, cans juice,

Walking the dogs !

Closing the car boot is another for me, but I break nails quite a lot when I pull down the door handles and my hand slips.

And they ALWAYS break so far down I end up with no free edge at all..so then I have to go file the rest of them right down so it doesn't look as silly grr.

My mum is the can opening one..but as I told her (to do as I do), dont open it with your nails..use a knife or something to leaver the ring pull up enough so you can pull it with your finger .

Pulling up my jeans! (Yes they are a bit too tight when first washed and I have to jump my way into them lol!). Cheese grater definitely the worst culprit though.

Making beds, especially tucking sheets under the mattress
Vicki x

Totally agree, I managed to rip half if my thumb nail off yesterday changing my daughter's bed. Wasn't happy, its now shorr and weak so brisa lite smoothing to the rescue!! Lol xx

Wiping down kitchen worktops and hitting them head on when I get too close to the wall..:irked:

I'm very guilty of this! & it hurts so much :-/

Being the sandwich in the middle of head v's wall. :irked:

Latest posts

Back