Whats your prep routine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natsturgeon

Reaction score
Just interested to know what everyones nail prep routine is (right up to before you start to apply L & P)

Having a few probs with lifting myself,

what would you think it due to, prep, product consistency (would it be due to too wet or dry?) or finishing (filing)

all opinions greatly appreciated & would love to see what everyones prep routine is

(please state which product you use also)

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

I sanitise, then use cuticle remover, remove all cuticle from nail plate, push back cuticles, wash hands, file free edge, then remove shine from natural nail then wipe whole nail thouroghly with scrub fresh. I am also having lifting problems but i am very new to L&P.

you must follow the exact prep routine that you were taught when training with your specific product as prep varies from one brand to another.
maybe dig out your course manual and go through it step by step.

ok ive checked notes for the system i was taught with & using (im due to train in CND in a few weeks but continuing to use profile until then)

The procedure states

Santitise
remove polich & push cuticle
Etch to remove shine
Dust
Sterilise/Dehydrate
Prime

I havent been doing the sterilise/Dehyrate step as i thought priming did this?
Could anybody elighten me?
What should i be usuing for step 5 sterilise/dehdrate?

ok ive checked notes for the system i was taught with & using (im due to train in CND in a few weeks but continuing to use profile until then)

The procedure states

Santitise
remove polich & push cuticle
Etch to remove shine
Dust
Sterilise/Dehydrate
Prime

I havent been doing the sterilise/Dehyrate step as i thought priming did this?
Could anybody elighten me?
What should i be usuing for step 5 sterilise/dehdrate?

you probably need to do more to remove the cuticle from the nail plate, simply pushing back the eponichium is rarely enough.

if your system doesnt have a specific dehydrater you can use one from another system. many are acetone based and their function is to temporarily dry out the nail and remove any oils from the surface.

you are right about the primer, it does dehydrate the nail as well as killing germs, but wont do a particularly thorough job on its own. some products need a belt and braces type aproach.

so try doing a thorough cuticle remove and a good dehydrate and then report back 1:)

also you should check out the site tutorial on prep.

Remove all shine and when you dust have you tried brushing away from the cuticle to avoid the dust to stay behind in the cutile area. This causes lifting. HTH

my base work is
1.check for contra indications
2.sterilize hand and nails
3.shape natural nail if needed
4.push back cuticles
5.block buff nails(white block)
6.dehydrate nails(cotton bud,acetone)

now this is how i was told to do my base work when i had my one2one training,but still find lifting:mad:
should i be using cuticle remover before step 4? and also should i be using a white block on natural nails,as a nail tech in my area told me i should not be using that??and in the complete nail tech second edition it say's you should use a 240grit on the nail plate.

my base work is
1.check for contra indications
2.sterilize hand and nails
3.shape natural nail if needed
4.push back cuticles
5.block buff nails(white block)
6.dehydrate nails(cotton bud,acetone)

now this is how i was told to do my base work when i had my one2one training,but still find lifting:mad:
should i be using cuticle remover before step 4? and also should i be using a white block on natural nails,as a nail tech in my area told me i should not be using that??and in the complete nail tech second edition it say's you should use a 240grit on the nail plate.

some companies recomend a cuticle remover product for their products some recomend a dry prep.
either way it is vital to remove cuticle from the natural nail.
cuticle cells are constantly shed over the nail plate as it grows through from the eponichium. we cant really see them, but there are more there than you would expect.
whether you choose a wet or dry prep, you must use a good tool to remove this non living tissue from the nail plate.

generally a regular file is used gently to remove surface shine from the nail, but this should be in addition to and not instead of the cuticle removal step.
some companies recomend a 240 grit file and some a180 grit file.
a white block is usually 240 grit, but may be difficult to maneouvre into the side walls of the nail where it is crucial to remove shine.

thank you angel fingers!
so if i use a cuticle remove before step 4,would my base work be spot on?

i now use a 240 grit file as i can't get on with the white block.

Shudders at the phrase ETCH!! :eek: don't know why but i hate the thought of etching a nn..

My prep when doing enhancements always includes cuticle removal.. i work really hard at this stage..
this tutorial really helped me with lifting.. and im afraid no matter what system you use.. perfect prep is a must!

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html
hth

thank you angel fingers!
so if i use a cuticle remove before step 4,would my base work be spot on?

i now use a 240 grit file as i can't get on with the white block.

i would apply it before you shape the nails, it needs a minute or 2 to do the biz.
ones i'd recomend are creative cuticle remover and hive cuticle remover.
be sure to remove all traces of the cuticle remover after its use and before you continue with the rest of the enhancement.

be sure to use a good tool, you need a quality metal one, plactic and wooden sticks just dont do a thorough enough job.

i have got a metal one!and all my products are star nails,so i would buy a star nails cuticle remover,but i have just brought myself creative solar oil...can i still use that when all my other products are star nails?sorry to keep picking your brain xx

i have got a metal one!and all my products are star nails,so i would buy a star nails cuticle remover,but i have just brought myself creative solar oil...can i still use that when all my other products are star nails?sorry to keep picking your brain xx

creative solar oil or any other cuticle oil will work on any type of nail extension. some cuticle oils are more effective than others though, so always chose a plant based oil rather than a mineral based oil.

i havent used a star nails cuticle remover, so dont know if the effect will be as good as the ones i recomended, but as long as you are sure to remove it thoroughly after you have scraped away the cuticle cells it should help.

so i could buy the cuticle remove you recomended and this would be ok even if my products are all star nails? i am abit confussed with thinking every product you use has to be from one place either all star nails or all creative ect or does this only apply to when your using the powder and liquids and primer,wraps,resin ect ect ? x

so i could buy the cuticle remove you recomended and this would be ok even if my products are all star nails? i am abit confussed with thinking every product you use has to be from one place either all star nails or all creative ect or does this only apply to when your using the powder and liquids and primer,wraps,resin ect ect ? x

yes, it is confusing.

if your product range carries a cuticle remover, then go for that. it will be most likely to be compatible to the products you are using.

often it is o.k to use prep products from another brand though not always 100% successful.

you must always stick to the same brands with your enhancement products though, as here the chemical compatibility is crucial. for instance dont mix starnails monomer with young nails powder or starnails resin with millenium activator etc etc.

hope this makes sense for you and i havent just added to your confusion.

THANK YOU so much for your help with all my questions angel fingers it does make sense to me and not confussed me! you have given me a better understanding. xxxx

I don,t want to sound like miss know it all *cause i am not :lol:* But i saw people typing sterilize hands and nails but it is sanitizing. Sterilizing is achieved by heat, chemicals *not those that should be used on skin nor nails*, irradiation, or filtration.

*quietly walks away*

ohhhh i hold my hands up i am a div! I did mean sanitising but wrote sterilzing (my post was written late at night in my defence) tee hee x

Latest posts

Back