what's your thinking on vaccines?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditzy

Reaction score
Hey there.

At the theory class on Thursday in my NVQ hairdressing, we were talking about health & safety, and the subject went to vaccines.

Two were discussed, one for dermatitis, and another for hepatitis. I was wondering what you guys think, have you had these, would you?

I didn't even know there was a vaccine against dermatitis, it sounds a great idea, if it works:).

I'm strongly considering both.

(mods, sorry if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it:hug:)

Well I have been really quite poorly this past week and the doctor suspected hepatitis as blood tests revealed I have a problem with my liver. Further tests have revealed it's not hepatitis and so I am having to have more detailed tests to see what is going on. However all the time we thought it was Hepatitis I kept thinking I wish I had gotten around to taking the vaccine as I believe with our job we can get it for free. So yes I would have it in a heartbeat now!

Haven't heard of the dermatitis one so can't comment.

Two were discussed, one for dermatitis, and another for hepatitis. I was wondering what you guys think, have you had these, would you?

I didn't even know there was a vaccine against dermatitis, it sounds a great idea, if it works:).

I didn't know there was one for dermatitis. I will ask my girly she has just started a masters in Occupational Health so she should know.

When I worked as a dental nurse we all had to have the hep b jab and we got it free.If i can remember you have to have three injections for your first boost but them 1 ever so many years.

i didnt know that we caould get it for free in our job, i think it is something that i will look into getting done.

:hug:

Hi Ditzy

When i first started training we were never told anything about vaccines.
Anyway i had just started my Beauty Therapy Level 3 and were doing epliation training.
Tutor tells us all the saftey stuff and we take it on board.
Anyway i go to get a machine and what do i get stuck in my hand? a dirty needle!!!!!
I went off on one, was in total shock for the next few days about what had happened, there were blood tests to be taken for which i could still get a phone call about saying that there is a problem with, forms to fill in and so on.
I just wish i had know so that i could of had all my jabs beforehand.
I haave now had 2 of the 3 hepatitis jabs and am due the 3rd anytime now.
My advice is have them!!!
Be safe.

Gosh what a thread, a great one at that! You have really got me thinking! I am going to doctors to have both of these. I come into contact with people a lot in my work so better get them. Don't want anything that catches thanks but no thanks!

Well done for starting this thread. WHen I was at college nothing like this was mentioned.

Okay I am confused..is dermatitis even contagious? And if it isn't why get a vaccine against it?

Okay I am confused..is dermatitis even contagious? And if it isn't why get a vaccine against it?

Dermatitis is NOT contagious. I think the biggest misconception is in the name "Contact" Dermatitis. My best friend has the condition and suffers from people always thinking she is contagious and has some sort of nasty disease she will pass on to them.

There is a vaccine (not sure if it would be considered a vaccine) available that she may need to have when she is older. It's some sort of cortisone needle to help with the symptoms I think. This may be the vaccine mentioned in this thread. It won't prevent someone from getting dermatitis though, just help with the symptoms.

BTW, I am not a doctor, I'm not claiming to know all the facts. I'm just going on what I have been told about this. There may be another vaccine that I have not heard about.

As for the hep B vaccine, we were strongly advised in college to get it and I definitely will be having it.

Thank you Ange for clearing that up for me. I was totally gawked by peeps seeking occulations against dermatitis. It just wasn't computing with me.

Now as far as the HEP B..I think it should be a law that anyone that works directly with the public in close cirucumstances should be vaccinated for sure. I took the HEP B shots when my boys were taking them.

Hi , gosh :eek: Is this just advised for beauty therapists ?
or are nail techs and hairdressers supposed to have these jabs too ?
never thought it was so bad :eek:,
I can understand the needle thing with the beauticians,
but have never been actually advised directly upon the matter,
has anyone else been told to have them ?
mmm it does get you thinking though doesn't it?
Jolly good thread :hug: x

Fnatastic thread!! your gettin a rep from me!!
I cant encourage Hep vac strongly enough to anyone who works in any type of public service... I have been a bar maid since i was 18.. It helped me boost my earnings while doing my trade.. It was never and is still not compulsory to have the vaccine.. but my doctor (bless him) advised me.. and i not long ago had a 5 yr boost.. One in each arm and both legs over a 3 week period.. OUCH.. but then the alternative is worse!:eek:

and i do know that in oz it comes under medicare if you work in any public service..

Hi minky, Hep is spread by blood.
HEP B:
Occurs when blood from an infected person enters the body of a person who is not infected.
* HBV is spread through having sex with an infected person without using a condom , by sharing drugs, needles, or "works" when injecting drugs, through needlesticks or sharps exposures on the job, or from an infected mother to her baby during birth.

If we accidentally cut someone with our shears and they have HEP..you bet your bum that we better be protected.
Same with Nail techs..unless they wear gloves through out the whole nail enchancement process, they could cut the cuticle with a too sharp file and cuticle nippers and be exposed if the client has HEP.

This is a great subject..I just hope it doesn't scare the bejessus out of everyone. :)
It is certainly something everyone should look more into.

I shall go to the doctors and get the vaccine for the Hep, and I'll ask about the Dermatitis one. It was one of the students who's a qualified beauty therapist that mentioned the Dermatitis vaccine, the teacher did seem to know about it, but she just talked more about treating it at bedtime wearing some vaseline and sexy cotton gloves:green:

My dad was always against vaccines, he said you don't know what they're pumping into you, but I think with something like hep, you just can't take the risk. Being a trainee hairdresser, I think chances are I'm gonna cut myself, until I'm proficient in wealding my scissors:rolleyes:

Well my doctor suspected mine was hepatitis A, which is usually spread through poor food handling hygiene. Have to say that I was pretty miffed to think that I could have caught this from someone who couldn't be arsed to wash their hands after going to the loo and before preparing food ... in fact the thought of it made me want to hurl! Even more annoyed was I when I think how meticulous I am with my salon hygiene.

Well my doctor suspected mine was hepatitis A, which is usually spread through poor food handling hygiene. Have to say that I was pretty miffed to think that I could have caught this from someone who couldn't be arsed to wash their hands after going to the loo and before preparing food ... in fact the thought of it made me want to hurl! Even more annoyed was I when I think how meticulous I am with my salon hygiene.

Hi Sassy thats few people that I have heard of now who have
had Hep A , that sucks, I hope you feel better soon , A young girl I know said she got hep A from picking and eating unwashed fruit on a fruit farm abroad
(makes you wonder what can get on on the fruit ? ) she was on a youth hostel gap year holiday , and she had to come home as she felt very poorly ,
but I'm glad to say shes ok now :hug:

Can you also get a vaccine for Hep A too ?

Thanks JDs for the information as it only seems to be lightly skimmed over here in the UK
I think there should be an awareness day as it is an important Health & safety matter isn't it ?

Hi Sassy thats few people that I have heard in the beauty industry who have
had Hep A , That sucks , I hope you feel better soon,:hug:
Can you also get a vaccine for Hep A too ?

Thanks JDs for the information as it only seems to be lightly skimmed over here in the UK
I think there should be an awareness day as it is an important Health & safety matter isn't it ?

Hiya, yes there is a vaccine for Hep A. Thankfully I don't have the hepatitis virus, but I will now get the vaccine as soon as I can.

Hiya, yes there is a vaccine for Hep A. Thankfully I don't have the hepatitis virus, but I will now get the vaccine as soon as I can.

Oh I'm glad you don't have the virus , thats good news ,:hug:
The young girl who got sick after fruit picking said she hasn't got the hep A virus either as they thought earlier , which is good too :hug:
but it really makes you think doesnt it how all these things can affect the blood ?
Makes me angry people dont wash their hands :irked:
do you know , I always have to remind people to wash their hands ,
I don't think I have had anyone who has washed their hands before hand without me having to ask them too ?

I'm only training and the muck under some peoples nails is disgusting,
are we supposed to remove it all ? :eek:

Dermatitis is NOT contagious. I think the biggest misconception is in the name "Contact" Dermatitis. My best friend has the condition and suffers from people always thinking she is contagious and has some sort of nasty disease she will pass on to them.

There is a vaccine (not sure if it would be considered a vaccine) available that she may need to have when she is older. It's some sort of cortisone needle to help with the symptoms I think. This may be the vaccine mentioned in this thread. It won't prevent someone from getting dermatitis though, just help with the symptoms.

BTW, I am not a doctor, I'm not claiming to know all the facts. I'm just going on what I have been told about this. There may be another vaccine that I have not heard about.

As for the hep B vaccine, we were strongly advised in college to get it and I definitely will be having it.

Hmm I was thinking on the vaccination thing here and may be wrong so don't crucify me. My understanding of a vaccine is that it introduces a small amount of the substance so your body can develop antibodies against it and you can effectively fight the disease.

With dermatitis i thought it was the description of the symptoms rather than the cause (derma - relating to the skin, titis - inflammation, so inflammation of the skin). I guess my question is has there been a discovery of a common cause like a faulty Immunoglobulin which could be 'switched off'. Oh and when I mentioned this to my girlfriend she told me that a. it is here first week of college and b. i really should be doing some diy. Either way i think a vaccine for dermatitis would be great.

jo

Hmm I was thinking on the vaccination thing here and may be wrong so don't crucify me. My understanding of a vaccine is that it introduces a small amount of the substance so your body can develop antibodies against it and you can effectively fight the disease.

With dermatitis i thought it was the description of the symptoms rather than the cause (derma - relating to the skin, titis - inflammation, so inflammation of the skin). I guess my question is has there been a discovery of a common cause like a faulty Immunoglobulin which could be 'switched off'. Oh and when I mentioned this to my girlfriend she told me that a. it is here first week of college and b. i really should be doing some diy. Either way i think a vaccine for dermatitis would be great.

jo

Hi Jo, No crucifing here..

You are correct., a vaccine is a shot that gives you the immunity to fight the virus.
But Dermatitis is not a virus. I think what they are meaning is a steroid type shot to help with dermatitis. I don't think that it will cure anyone that has dermatitis but may help deter it.

When I was an auxiliary nurse I had 3 jabs for hep B. Only thing was that afterwards they do a blood test to make sure it has worked and mine didn't. I was told that with some people it doesn't matter how many jabs you have it wont work for some reason.:irked:

Latest posts

Back