When a client becomes ill

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhiannon1408

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I was at one of my regular Shellac clients houses this morning when she dropped into conversation that she may have cancer. She's been suffering with stomach pains for well over a year now and she rearranged this weeks appointment as she's in hospital later in the week for tests.

She's a lovely lady in her 70's that still cares for her mother and aunt (both in their 90's) and she's been a very loyal client for 2 years.

I'm wondering if popping a get well soon card would be ok in your professional opinions? I would like to know how the tests go but feel this would be a bit too personal, even though I'm sure she will tell me when I see her next.

What would you do in this situation geeks?

At this time I would leave things until you see her.I assume you wished her well before she left.
I think a get well card if things are bad news for something like the initial diagnosis of cancer just doesn't seem quite right not quite enough if you understand.

It's a very personal business ... If you feel you would like to send a little love and support then do it. I thinks she would appreciate it and as she has chosen to honour you with her personal information I think it would be totally appropriate.

You clearly have the sort of relationship where she feels she can confide in you, and you care about her. I think it would be a lovely and very well received gesture.

Xxxx

If she wanted it to remain purely professional she wouldn't have been so open with you. You've clearly chatted a lot as you know about her home situation.
Follow your heart and drop her an understated card. I think she would be touched x

If she's been coming to you that long and feels comfortable enough to tell you what she has so far I'd say she'd probably be really touched to get a get well card.

I've got a similar situation but with a clients grandson (daughter and grandson live with her), he has cancer and my husband happenstance know a couple of people that work at McLaren and as he lovers f1 we've got a load of bits for him to cheat him up.

I agree with Gillian. I think in situations like this where you are unsure of what to do, you can let the client lead. Be open to listen to anything she might want to confide in you but don't lead or ask. Nothing wrong with letting her know that you are willing to listen though.

I would go along the lines of, thinking of you, sending you support rather than get well as she doesn't have a diagnosis yet.

I would go along the lines of, thinking of you, sending you support rather than get well as she doesn't have a diagnosis yet.

Was just going to suggest this myself, I think thinking of you card is far more appropriate in these situations :) xxxxx

Thank you everyone, yes I do want to show my support for her. I wished her well when I left this morning and asked her son to take care of her.

Nikki May, a 'thinking of you' card is perfect thanks for suggesting that, fits much better than get well soon.

Thank you everyone, yes I do want to show my support for her. I wished her well when I left this morning and asked her son to take care of her.

Nikki May, a 'thinking of you' card is perfect thanks for suggesting that, fits much better than get well soon.

Was just thinking that don't send a get well soon
Thinking of you or a nice blank card and just a few words of your own

Nice to know you care x

Was going to post send a ' Thinking of you card' not a get well card but see you have thought of that yourself :)

have done this myself in the past with my customers and it has always been well received

I think a 'thinking if you' card would be a really lovely gesture.x

I think she will really appreciate your concern and like the fact you are not a family member. I have a couple of clients recently who have have Breast cancer scares and have only told myself and husbands. I might just phone or pop by if I was passing. I reckon she would really appreciate your support and concern x

Lovely thought honey x

Latest posts

Back