When Are You Good Enough?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deena

Reaction score
When did you think you were good enough to start charging for your nail services and go 'Professional?' I've been practising hard since my foundation course and 121 and I'd say my nails are quite 'Wearable' and acceptable now, although my timing definitely leaves something to be desired. Someone at my <non nail related> work spotted them recently and instantly said she'd love me to do them for her and then so did someone else!! :)

I ask this because a new salon is opening near to me and they're crying out for nail techs. In practical terms, it's going to be a few months before I would be considering really launching into the workforce, but a few have suggested I make enquiries to get a bit of part time experience and I know someone who's doing this elsewhere, on the understanding that she's very new to the profession and they'll have to be patient in terms of time, but for a lesser price by way of compensation, obviously. Of course, they may not be remotely interested in a 'Newbie' like myself, but everyone has to start somewhere!

When did you think you had the confidence to think you were 'Good enough,' please?

When did you think you were good enough to start charging for your nail services and go 'Professional?' I've been practising hard since my foundation course and 121 and I'd say my nails are quite 'Wearable' and acceptable now, although my timing definitely leaves something to be desired. Someone at my <non nail related> work spotted them recently and instantly said she'd love me to do them for her and then so did someone else!! :)

I ask this because a new salon is opening near to me and they're crying out for nail techs. In practical terms, it's going to be a few months before I would be considering really launching into the workforce, but a few have suggested I make enquiries to get a bit of part time experience and I know someone who's doing this elsewhere, on the understanding that she's very new to the profession and they'll have to be patient in terms of time, but for a lesser price by way of compensation, obviously. Of course, they may not be remotely interested in a 'Newbie' like myself, but everyone has to start somewhere!

When did you think you had the confidence to think you were 'Good enough,' please?

Hi,I honestly think that until you are working in a salon it's very difficult to ever be good enough,as you say.

I dont see it as how long a person has been doing nails for or how qualified they are that makes them good,its down to lots and lots of sets.Ive been doing nails for a couple of yrs now and even now I dont think my sets are particularly outstanding by any stretch of the imagination,this is because I simply dont do enough.

Get yourself working in a salon,you have got to start somewhere and what better oportunity.Good luck chuck and hope you get the job.:hug:

i think if you can do a good looking set in 2 hours that stays on for 2 weeks, then you are good enough to start in a salon.

Hi,
I think most of us have a moment of concern about how good our work is in a salon situation. I know I strive to do my best every time, and sometimes I'm delighted with the results - but on the odd occasion, I could kick myself ! However, I usually know if I've lost concentration somewhere and quickly get back on track without the client realising it.
If you start off asking for a reduced rate, then as you build confidence, speed and a happy client list, increase your prices to reflect your skill.
HTHs:hug:

PS just changed my photo - New Year, New Me (I wish !) :wink2:

I would say def. go and talk to the owner of the salon. You have nothing to lose, and even if he/she doesn't think your ready yet he/she will at least know your keen and there could be a place there for you in the future.

I would love to get some part time work in a professional salon as working alone at home as I do is quite difficult, as you dont have anyone to confer with. Thank God for this site. !!!!!

Latest posts

Back