When are you too old?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamhair

Reaction score
Just interested if anyone thinks there is a point you are too old to be a hairdresser. I know it's all about skill but do younger clients really want an older maybe not as cool and trendy stylist? Really interested in anyone's opinion.

This is how I feel , worked in a trendy salon up until a couple of years ago and I just felt old , all really young stylists and now I am completely mobile and feel much more happy . I have a wide range of clients , young , middle aged and old and I would definitely not go back to a salon now even though I miss working with colleagues x

Personally, I don't think there is a cut off point in regards to age with hairdressing! I'm a stylist and have had experience with having my hair done by stylists of all ages and it never crosses my mind. It's all about skill and experience in my opinion xx

OUTRAGEOUS!!!!
Of course you can be 'mature' and still do hair!
I will however admit, that when I was 'young & funky', I would often have a wee snigger at the 'oldies' still cutting hair in the salons where I worked.:D

Now I am one of those 'oldies' :oops:, I can empathise with past colleagues, and realise ....
They were still viable..... still passionate about hair......... and could still 'cut it'! :cool:

Our customer base is wide and varied...the young, middle aged and the elderly...and they all want different things from their hairdresser.
Some will want high fashion, probably best delivered from a younger hair stylist....but not exclusively.
Some will want classic/traditional styling....and some might just want a tidy up and a friendly chat! ;)

I would probably not want to work within a very young salon, as it would make me feel like 'mother'...but it's
a mis-conception to think that salons only want to employ the young & trendy!

You're never too old, you never stop learning new techniques and experience is invaluable.

Thanks for your input. I'm 46 and having a bit of an identity crisis I think

46!!!!
No problem....I'm 54....:p.
I know stylists in their 70's......and there's an American woman (hope she's still on the planet), who was still working in her 90's......:cool:

I also find the older famous male stylists seem to be more accepted than the females

???!!!! And what do you mean by that? o_O
Seems like they mean, the male pioneers of the hair industry are more accepted, liked and respected(like Vidal salon, Patrick cemeron, Trevor sorbie) than a random 70 year woman...

You're only too old to do hair if you are unable to stand for more than 30 minutes at a time, and you cannot raise your arms above your shoulders for an extended period of time. If you can do both those things, you're still fit and ready to keep going!

I understand your concerns and agree with that to an extent, as I don't think youngsters (under 30) are interested in having their hair cut by someone their mums age or older.

However, my clientele are generally more mature ladies (and a few daughters) who really don't enjoy the standard noisy buzzing hair salon experience and prefer a quieter ambience, so they're my target market.

Age is just a number!!!! I'm 42 and intend to work forever... It's about knowledge and ability, my clientel are mainly working mums and their families so quite a nice age. I agree with the what Fabby said, as long as you can stand and keep your arms up then you can keep doing what you lovexx

As a teen I preferred older stylists. They were more reliable and experienced a lot of the time. Besides I hated people my age.

Latest posts

Back