WHEN do I start charging?....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shazzar

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've just read a thread started today titled "What do I charge?" and found Gigi's comments incredibly interesting and I agree wholeheartedly with what she says. If we can't value ourselves and we sell our services short, then we don't stand a chance of earning both the pennies and the respect that we deserve.

Does it sound like I know what I'm talking about? Well, I don't cos I've only just completed three days of my Creative foundation course, with the fourth day being next week!! But..... the reason I have started a new thread relating to costs is that, as I say, I totally agree with what Gigi says, but WHEN is more appropriate for me at the minute. When should I start charging? I've done a number of nails now in order to try and gain as much practical experience as I can, but should I give myself a couple of months before I start asking for payment, or should it be straight away? I have had no problems with the sets I have done and am very pleased with my work. I find that so many people are willing to be my "guinea pig", but am I setting a rod up for my own back?

Not sure what to do and any advice very much welcomed.

xx

Well Shazzar - i started charging from day one even when i was training!

I charged £5 to cover my costs then once I was qualified I started at £18 per set now I charge £25 which is competitive in my area and I feel is fair to my standards and abilities...hopefully next year it will be more..

If you ae not sure what to charge look around and ring other nail technicians and see what they charge and price yourself according and to your skills...hope this helps

Shazzar,

Can you please send me some of your guinea pigs - I am short of them. For that reason, I have not been charging since most of my practice has been on the Nail Trainer so I am just delighted for the time being when I get a 'real' person to work on. That said, if I was inundated with people wanting me to do their nails, I think I would start charging, at least to cover overheads, etc. You wouldn't be so inundated with models if they didn't like what you were doing for other people. (That doesn't say much for my work then - HELP!!!!!!) I know where you are coming from when you say it is your back-bone, but I think you should now start charging girl and let the money roll.

Yep, you should definitely start charging straight away, but like the others said, to cover costs, and maybe when you feel more comfortable and more experienced start charging a bit more according to your level of expertise. It's right that professionally qualified nail technicians should charge the going rate for a professional standard of work. You go girl!!!

Start as you mean to go on - if you went to a dentist and he had just qualified would you expect to be treated for free LOL.

Start charging from the outset as if you give freebies in the beginning it will be far more difficult to introduce fees later to those friends who have never paid - then you will end up fitting in all your free friends and turning away bona fide clients.

Hi and thanks for your replies. I've not even been charging to cover my costs, which is really stupid!! I just didn't think. Some business woman I'm going to be! I guess I was just grateful that I had people to work on (as you said Chris), that was my main worry at first.

I think I'll cover my costs for the next couple of weeks and when time has come around to my "guineas" needing rebalances, I'll assess how good they still look then and if I'm happy, then I'll start charging then.

Thanks again for your opinions. This site is really really good. I don't work in a salon and neither do I have friends in this line of business, so I'd be absolutely stumped if I hadn't found you lot!!

Cheers again. :)

Shazzar said:
Hi and thanks for your replies. I've not even been charging to cover my costs, which is really stupid!! I just didn't think. Some business woman I'm going to be! I guess I was just grateful that I had people to work on (as you said Chris), that was my main worry at first.

I think I'll cover my costs for the next couple of weeks and when time has come around to my "guineas" needing rebalances, I'll assess how good they still look then and if I'm happy, then I'll start charging then.

Thanks again for your opinions. This site is really really good. I don't work in a salon and neither do I have friends in this line of business, so I'd be absolutely stumped if I hadn't found you lot!!

Cheers again. :)
Bless ya Shazzar - i know how you feel

that what i did let my 'models' have it done for free first couple of time, when they were turning out good i said i'd charge 4 over heads, as i got better i said to people, if i think they are good (and am i picky or what?) then i will charge. if u give a reale good set why should they reap all the rewards. u deserve it girl! shout, "show me the money" lol

I asked people to be guinea pigs for me so felt very obligated to give it away free of charge. Fortunately i only did this for 4 people: other than that i charged full price. The four people enabled me to perfect my techniques but dont make the mistake of not charging altogether because its very very hard to suddenly say "oh i want to charge you now" - very awkward indeed!!

I had similar problem to Caz, you get into the " well you didn't expect me to pay before" . But i just said to people, i wouldn't charge the full price, but i still charged £20 a set in the beginning, then said if they had problems within the first 5 days i would replace the lost ones or sort out lifting for free.

My Aunt still gets a discount as she has lovely long nails and lets me try new stuff on her. Plus she is a walking advert for me as she always has nail art every two weeks and they get noticed alot.

Just try to be business minded, its hard and easy to tell someone else to do it, but it needs to be done otherwise you are the one that loses out.:)

Latest posts

Back