When do you bin your files?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Fern

Reaction score
I'm trying to make sure I'm pricing my treatments right so am working out what every treatment costs me down to how many treatments I can get out a nail file!

So for 240/240 grit files, after how many treatments would you bin them and use a new one?
I know some nails require more filing than others - this is just a rough guide for me!

It will also help me identify which of my treatments have the biggest/smallest profit margins.

Many thanks geeks!

I, personally always use a new file per client, I hate to see used files on a nail techs desk, sanitised or not. What I do though is keep the file or buffer for the same client next time, they have a little freezer bag with their name on so I get the use out of the files just the same. Clients prefer this and somehow like to think that they have their very own files. If a client is going to go a bit longer than normal and might need to shorten their nails in the meantime I will give them the file to keep. It doesn't cost that much and pleases them. :green:

I too have a bag of goodies for each person with their name on it.

What I would like to ask is how long the crystal files last and do they have to be thrown away or can they be renewed as such?

I, personally always use a new file per client, I hate to see used files on a nail techs desk, sanitised or not. What I do though is keep the file or buffer for the same client next time, they have a little freezer bag with their name on so I get the use out of the files just the same. Clients prefer this and somehow like to think that they have their very own files. If a client is going to go a bit longer than normal and might need to shorten their nails in the meantime I will give them the file to keep. It doesn't cost that much and pleases them. :green:

I do the same thing, i use the NSI endurance files, so each new client has a new one and then i put their buffers and files after snitising in their own little bag and attach that to their client card.

Hmm...here, anything that is porous or not metal or glass is not disinfectable and must by tossed after each use. And no "client kits" are not allowed as most containers (baggies, plastic cases) are havens for bacteria growth. Everything must be able to withstand the autoclave or being fully submersed in an EPA registered disinfectant for 10 minutes after being scrubbed.

Hmm...here, anything that is porous or not metal or glass is not disinfectable and must by tossed after each use. And no "client kits" are not allowed as most containers (baggies, plastic cases) are havens for bacteria growth. Everything must be able to withstand the autoclave or being fully submersed in an EPA registered disinfectant for 10 minutes after being scrubbed.

This has confused me a little as s2 sell a spray disinfectant for files and abrasives. What do others think about this please as I would hate to be doing the wrong thing and I was taught that I could disinfect files.

This has confused me a little as s2 sell a spray disinfectant for files and abrasives. What do others think about this please as I would hate to be doing the wrong thing and I was taught that I could disinfect files.
All I can say is thinking in USA must be far different from England. We have always been taught that it is fine to SANATISE files so long as they have not cut the skin, if the skin is cut then the file must be thrown away.
Items such as those used in the piercing or tattoo industry must be STERILISED in an auto clave that must be seviced yearly.
Also the correct way to store a sanitised file is in a plastic bag and many techs do this, keeping a file for a client.

All I can say is thinking in USA must be far different from England. We have always been taught that it is fine to SANATISE files so long as they have not cut the skin, if the skin is cut then the file must be thrown away.

This is what I was taught last november with CND (in the uk) and that it was ok to use a file sanitising spray.

Jo xxx
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Items such as those used in the piercing or tattoo industry must be STERILISED in an auto clave that must be seviced yearly.
Also the correct way to store a sanitised file is in a plastic bag and many techs do this, keeping a file for a client.

Thank you for that Susie. That is what I have been doing and just wanted to make sure I had it right. :)

THere are a few states (not many) that allow a spray disinfectant to be used on some types of files (mine is just not one of them), but board files and the like are one use only. Some states here are moving toward making autoclaving the only legal way to sanitize implements in salons. It is a common phrase here to tell people that "if you see any evidence of the files, buffers or sanding bands having been used before--get up and walk out!" And the rules just keep on coming! My state just sent me notice that there will be a whole slew of new rules effective April 1st--so I need to get updated.

I tend to use a new file per client as most of my clients are rebalances/infills so so i want a nice new file to get the job done as efficiently as possible...for new clients having gels/nails for the first time i don't need to do as much filing and so don't need such a "new" file..this is when i grab a used but sanitised file from my kit.

THere are a few states (not many) that allow a spray disinfectant to be used on some types of files (mine is just not one of them), but board files and the like are one use only. Some states here are moving toward making autoclaving the only legal way to sanitize implements in salons. It is a common phrase here to tell people that "if you see any evidence of the files, buffers or sanding bands having been used before--get up and walk out!" And the rules just keep on coming! My state just sent me notice that there will be a whole slew of new rules effective April 1st--so I need to get updated.

Oh my goodness you should see the state of some salons here! I did a demo as a favour for someone last year in a very successful salon near Bristol and they were throwing used files to eachother! There was one buffing block between them and that was in shreds. With clients at the desks they threw this buffer back and forth between them.

Definitely a case for some sort of regulation.

Back to the sanitising of boards. A lot of the boards we are sold here including NSI, which I use have 'disinfectable' written on the board or on the box them come in! :green:

CC hun, we are not talking about e-files we are talking about board files. These files should never touch living tissue and as such are not such a risk, to be honest, if you were to take a swab and petra dish it you would only find normal things on it from the enviroment.
It would only be a problem if you were to cut a client and then the only thing to do is throw it away.

Here in the US, well here in My state, It is the law. Not only do they get their own files but you can not keep them in the store! They have to take them and bring them back every time. Normally they get the 1st file free but if they forget them at the fill appointment then it is $1 charge and they get another.

I use a new 180 file for every french rebalance to get the job done quickly and a used one for infills and new sets. I normally use the file 2-3 times before they feel dead then i throw away. My 240 files and white buffer blocks lasts much longer.
I use them until they feel dead. I use a file disinfectant spray too. hth xxx

CC hun, we are not talking about e-files we are talking about board files. These files should never touch living tissue and as such are not such a risk, to be honest, if you were to take a swab and petra dish it you would only find normal things on it from the enviroment.
It would only be a problem if you were to cut a client and then the only thing to do is throw it away.

I am too. That is why I said files, buffer or sanding band(the band would be the efile one). In most states in the USA--they are not reusable or sanitizable. Simple as that--they are one use items. If they can not stand up to autoclaving or being fully submersed in an EPA disinfectant for 10 minutes; then they are single use items. And all steel or glass implements must be scrubbed with soap & water, then submersed in said disinfectant for 10 minutes after each and every use. And it really doesn't matter what I think they will find in a petra dish--it is my states' law and I have to abide by it whether I agree with it or not. Stinks. RIght now I am shopping for an autoclave as it seems to be where things are heading....

This is how we have to treat our supplies also.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

In MS our regulations state that you are not allowed to store used non sanitized items in closed containers. It breeds bacteria. Even if it's their own bacteria and fungus lol only new or freshly sanitized items are suppose to b stored this way. At least where I am.

I am too. That is why I said files, buffer or sanding band(the band would be the efile one). In most states in the USA--they are not reusable or sanitizable. Simple as that--they are one use items. If they can not stand up to autoclaving or being fully submersed in an EPA disinfectant for 10 minutes; then they are single use items. And all steel or glass implements must be scrubbed with soap & water, then submersed in said disinfectant for 10 minutes after each and every use. And it really doesn't matter what I think they will find in a petra dish--it is my states' law and I have to abide by it whether I agree with it or not. Stinks. RIght now I am shopping for an autoclave as it seems to be where things are heading....

That's just crazy:eek: I can understand disinfectant, that's what most of us do, but an auto clave? I hope they cost you a lot less then they cost us. I'm sat here shakeing my head, there's just no need for it.
The fact that it's not in all states either would drive me wild.
My working practices are very clean, between clients every hard surface, tool I've worked with gets sanatised and the kitchen roll all gets binned with all the tip bits etc into it's own bag and I put a fresh bag in to my bin.
I had a new client the other day who laughed at me (in a nice way) because she's always used the local nss, they don't even change the monomor, let alone sanatise the tip cutter. End of day I disinfect.
But an auto clave, health and safety is one thing, but, ok I'm repeating myself here:lol:

In MS our regulations state that you are not allowed to store used non sanitized items in closed containers. It breeds bacteria. Even if it's their own bacteria and fungus lol only new or freshly sanitized items are suppose to b stored this way. At least where I am.
Yep, sanatise first, then store. Apart from anything else, if you sanatise a tool before you put it away, you are actually looking at it and makeing sure it is fit to be used again.

Latest posts

Back