When is a gel not a gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
when it's l&p!:rolleyes:
Okay has anyone else come up against this? My client needed a repair and I just couldn't fit her in, so she went to a nail bar in Eastleigh, Southampton. She asked if they could do a repair, but it had to be gel as that is what she has on. Well after all the techs(I use that word lightly) had had a good old look at the nails I had done (typical had to be her - she is my worst picking offender and her nails are usually trashed when she comes back for infills) and spoken to each other in their own language (they were from the Far East - how rude) in front of her, they told her the whole lot would need to come off and start a new set. Thankfully my client stood her ground and said, no just the one repair. So that's what they did and in my client's words "they got out a pot marked gel, and then dipped their brush in that watery stuff (ie monomer) and then dipped it in the powder (yup, this was the pot labelled GEL!!). This is the second time this happened to a client of mine (in different local salons). Surely there is something we can do - descriptions of goods act or something. I know you guys are doing a great job trying to stamp out mma etc, and raise standards in salons, but what can I do to educate the uninitiated. I bet you'll come back and say there have been loads of threads about this, but I hate people being misled like this.

Actually I've heard of this lots and lots of times before.

I think these babes only do one type of nail so whatever the client asks for they do the same thing. They probably have jars labeled wraps and inside is powder and liquid :eek: .

I'm amazed they even did the repair! Normally the client is beaten into submission until the whole lot are prised off and then the old drill comes out and they start again! She did well to stand her ground.

Yes well done your client for standing her ground :green: Usually they are "bullied" into having to pay for a removal and a new set - its shameful! :rolleyes:

I've also heard of this "gel" that's liquid and powder - and totally don't get it... I was of the understanding that all products are acrylic based and it depends what method you prefer to use... be it L&P or Gel form...

Weird.

haha. The same thing happenned to one of my clients! They charge on average $5-$10 more for "gel" but it's clearly the same thing.

sarah haslam said:
when it's l&p!:rolleyes:

Okay has anyone else come up against this? My client needed a repair and I just couldn't fit her in, so she went to a nail bar in Eastleigh, Southampton. She asked if they could do a repair, but it had to be gel as that is what she has on. Well after all the techs(I use that word lightly) had had a good old look at the nails I had done (typical had to be her - she is my worst picking offender and her nails are usually trashed when she comes back for infills) and spoken to each other in their own language (they were from the Far East - how rude) in front of her, they told her the whole lot would need to come off and start a new set. Thankfully my client stood her ground and said, no just the one repair. So that's what they did and in my client's words "they got out a pot marked gel, and then dipped their brush in that watery stuff (ie monomer) and then dipped it in the powder (yup, this was the pot labelled GEL!!). This is the second time this happened to a client of mine (in different local salons). Surely there is something we can do - descriptions of goods act or something. I know you guys are doing a great job trying to stamp out mma etc, and raise standards in salons, but what can I do to educate the uninitiated. I bet you'll come back and say there have been loads of threads about this, but I hate people being misled like this.
OK, this is freaky, I just left a post on another thread, come here & read the exact same thing happened here! To see my version of events, go to this thread & read my post http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=7146

I can't beleive it! They told my sister that she'd have to have her infils & rebalance done too! Hooray, she stood her ground too!

Sarah, this same thing happened to my mom. She goes to these places all the time, and they tell her she's getting gels. Until I followed her to an appointment, and saw these jars marked "Gels". What they do is put a UV top coat over the dreaded l&p, and cure it, and that's how they make the unsuspecting/uneducated clients think that they are having gels, along with the improperly labeled jars. Very Sad.

Now thats one for the trading standards office .................

That's like going to the hairdressers and asking for a red hair colour............ and leaving with blond hair lol............. It's colour all right but not the right one, not what had been specifically asked for...................

Or going to buy a car and leaving with a scooter lol......... it goes, it has wheels but it aint what the customer requested....................

She can go to the trading standards office and complain...............thats what they are there for, to alert them of anything incorrect in trading standards.......
Thank god for clients that are smart and thank god for Technicians that make sure that the clients can expect a fab service from them and keep them educated to whats what !!!!!!!!...............Well done girls!!!!!!

thanks peeps for all your replies. The first time I heard of it I wasn't sure, but after the 2nd I knew it was l&p. Why is it that bad practices in the nail industry are allowed to continue like this, it's frightening. Like Ruth said if you went into a hairdresser's and asked for something, but had something completely different they wouldn't get away with it. Is it because environmental health etc are uneducated. I really want to do something about this as it sickens me to the core. Ruth, (or anyone) do you know how I can get in touch with trading standards, and how best to put my case so I can get some positive action? This one has really got my by the bit. Thought I'd raise a thread not only to answer my own questions but to raise awareness to other unsuspecting gel users. Like I first said, what can I (and other techs) do to raise awareness and educate people in the local area - without sounding like sour grapes, or bad mouthing the competition? ALL ANSWERS GRATEFULLY RECEIVED (or put me in the direction of precious threads to get my answers.) thanks

thanks Teena, it is so scary that this has happened so often - I know there was a thing about mma on BBC's Watchdog , could we (or should we) all get in touch with them again to show that the problem - far from getting better - is getting worse? - POWER TO THE GEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!
Teena_B said:
OK, this is freaky, I just left a post on another thread, come here & read the exact same thing happened here! To see my version of events, go to this thread & read my post http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=7146

I can't beleive it! They told my sister that she'd have to have her infils & rebalance done too! Hooray, she stood her ground too!

Hi Sarah,
Trading standards offices can be reached via your local council, Health and Safety department; then get as much evidence as possible together with client statements and pictures if possible........
medical evidence incase of nail damage............Doctors notes, copies of sicknotes, anything thats is documented................ then make an appointment and go and do your thing..................

But the most effective way is educating your clients, they in turn will tell their friends and so the chain of educated clients will grow..............
Word of mouth is a power tool at hand so to speak.................

There will always be non standard trading Salons, the same as their always be fly by night market stalls, cowboy traders............... but as long as the public know that they have access to high standard service, what difference a high standard Salon can make..............we will be the winner, not the NSS...
Let our work and education and skill speak for itself !!!!!!
As far as NSS goes, theirs does speak volumes about the things they are lacking............

just my thoughts............

Ruth - thanks so much for your advice. I will certainly get on and do this now. Have been letting all my clients know about it and about the NSS. Very difficult to do it without sounding like I'm just slagging them off, my tact and diplomacy skills are being used to the fore. Once again thanks for your great help and advice

sarah haslam said:
thanks Teena, it is so scary that this has happened so often - I know there was a thing about mma on BBC's Watchdog , could we (or should we) all get in touch with them again to show that the problem - far from getting better - is getting worse? - POWER TO THE GEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!
I actually did contact trading standards about this, but they will not go any further unless you give your full name, address, etc. Now, I personally don't want any comeback, so I dropped it. I remember a thing on telly one time about burger van competition, and people were actually getting their vans & homes petrol bombed! I can't risk any kind of comeback, I've got 2 children to consider. I think that if we can educate our clients, they will educate their friends, etc, and these places will eventually have to close down, or shape up. If mma is outlawed in this country this will be stopped anyway!:cool:

Bugger! You ahave really scared me now Teena. Thanks for the warning - don't want the triads after me!

Teena_B said:
I actually did contact trading standards about this, but they will not go any further unless you give your full name, address, etc. Now, I personally don't want any comeback, so I dropped it. I remember a thing on telly one time about burger van competition, and people were actually getting their vans & homes petrol bombed! I can't risk any kind of comeback, I've got 2 children to consider. I think that if we can educate our clients, they will educate their friends, etc, and these places will eventually have to close down, or shape up. If mma is outlawed in this country this will be stopped anyway!:cool:
hi
yes it happened where i live a few months ago a burger van man actually shot another burger man scary it was just down the road xx

I so want to do something about this, but now I'm too scared, so am telling all my clients about it and getting the word out that way!
emmalouisa said:
hi
yes it happened where i live a few months ago a burger van man actually shot another burger man scary it was just down the road xx

Latest posts

Back