When is it safe to re-apply L&P extensions??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fificharlie

Reaction score
Hi geeks.

A client of mine came to me about 2 weeks ago, having had MMA on her nails:irked:

Her nails were very very thin, split from the free edge half way up the nail on both thumbs, and her little finger had nail plate separation really badly, which had also split, leaving just a very soft bit of nail underneath.

No rings of fire though, which is a good thing!

The problem is, she really wants me to put some L&P extensions on her, but I'm a bit worried about A) the nails being so thin B) Over exposure through the thin nail plates! and C) The splits up her thumbs!

What can I do geeks? Ive said that I cant really do them, as I'd hate for anything to go wrong and damage her nails any further!

How long would you normally wait while the nails are like this? I saw her this morning, and the nails have improved slightly. I gave her some nurture oil and told her to use it three times a day if poss. But her nails are still very thin.

Any advice geeks? I'm sure I'll loose her and she'll just go back to the NSS if I dont do them!!! AAAGHHH!

x

if she goes back to the nss with nails in a terrible condition then they'll end up even worse.
suppose it all depends on how thin the nail plate is as to whether it's ok for you to reapply a new set on her, to have a set of enhancements to 'last the distance' the foundation has to be stable.
keep an eye on them for a week or 2 and see how she's getting on with just applying the oil, if she gets too impatient then you might have to bite the bullet and apply a new set for her.

could you not do a tester? i.e a single nail (little finger). At least then she see's that you aren't just trying to fob her off.

please don't take that the wrong way x

Obviously explain to her in detail the worst things that could happen if her nails aren't ready for it. Also explain to her what mma does etc.

Its not really 'Doing the set' that I have a problem with, I know that A set of nails does really need a good base to last and look good, but she actually has SPLITS up her thumbs, like, to the nailbed underneath! YUK! She says they dont hurt anymore, but I'm just worried that she could have some sort of reaction??!! - or the 'wet' acrylic seeping in to her nails?? Can this even happen?

The only thing is babes, if you do decide to do a set and they either ping off or they get infected etc, she won't return again. Honest is the best policy I've always found and if they don't like it then you really didn't need that customer. Remember your reputation is at stake here and if anything went wrong you can guarantee she will make sure people know about it.

angelxdevil said:
The only thing is babes, if you do decide to do a set and they either ping off or they get infected etc, she won't return again. Honest is the best policy I've always found and if they don't like it then you really didn't need that customer. Remember your reputation is at stake here and if anything went wrong you can guarantee she will make sure people know about it.

This is very true hun. Would you do them if she came to you? I think I'll stick with my original decision, and tell her that regular manicures are a must untill they are better! x

If this were my client, I think I would 'seal' the ends of her fingernails first with several layers of resin. This will protect the skin beneath the plate from any monomer seeping through.

THEN apply the tip or sculpt reasonable length nails on her and help the damage grow out over a month or two.

You should be able to see the nice new nail underneath as it grows and repairs itself. No oil or any other product will be able to thicken up the natural nails or heal the splits. Only time and TLC.

I honestly wouldn't and if she insisted I'd get a doctors note, at least then your insurance would be covered.

hth's x

I do not know your level of experience, but once you establish some strength at the free edge, get the clients consent, and then don't go silly applying long nails, there is no reason not to do them.

IF your level of expertise is good. No woman who loves nails will go without them and walk around with their nails looking like you describe ... she'll get them done somewhere for sure. It might as well be you doing the job, if your skills are up to it.

geeg said:
I do not know your level of experience, but once you establish some strength at the free edge, get the clients consent, and then don't go silly applying long nails, there is no reason not to do them.

IF your level of expertise is good. No woman who loves nails will go without them and walk around with their nails looking like you describe ... she'll get them done somewhere for sure. It might as well be you doing the job, if your skills are up to it.
Would 'bond' from the Fabric# range be a resin that can be used to seal the nails?

nailsbydesign said:
Would 'bond' from the Fabric# range be a resin that can be used to seal the nails?

Any of the resins from the Fabric# range would serve the purpose but I think I would choose a few layers of BUILD.

I would do it. I love a challenge, i have one client with the worst nails you have ever seen , i posted a picture a while back, since she's been OD'ing on solar oil all her skin around her nails are back to the way they should be and her nails natural nails are growing rapidly, you can see the nice new nails coming on a treat (when her infills need doing), Hopefully after a few months her nails will be gorge again.

As long as your gentle in your pressure and make sure she follows you aftercare advice to a T, then all should be well. Follow Gigi's advice about the resin, and before you know it you'll have a client for life.

Seems to me that the fragile natural nail would be better protected with a very thin layer of acrylic over it, with little to no length added. And, as mentioned above, I'd fill in the cracks with resin, or even a bit of nail adhesive, before applying the acrylic.

I know how you feel as I had a client on thursday in the same situation- I asked her to come back (and I know 100% she will) in a couple of weeks as we both agreed it wasnt a good idea to pout enhancements straight back on, one of her nails had torn half way down virtually from on side to the other- OUCH!

Latest posts

Back