When is it time to get a new lamp?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam-x

Reaction score
Iv got a lamp from eBay maybe 5 years ago now - LED lamp small and handy but sometimes I wonder should I get an upgrade because I did get it so so cheap and I’m wondering is it affecting my gels?

Does anyone have any tips or signs of when an ungrade may be needed?

Thank you

Have a read of the pinned post about lamps at the top of the Nail section.

Hi

Want to buy a new LED lamp? Any recommendations? Websites etc?

Thank you

Hi

Thank you

As @Beautiful-you said above, have you read the post about lamps? This will steer you to the correct purchase going forward

Hi

Thank you
An LED CND is what I'm using. I absolutely love it.

I recommend getting the new CND LED lamp.

Here's the thing with gels and LED lamps. Gels harden due to the UV output of the LEDs, not the visible blue light. Thats very important to note. The LED bulbs, however, will degrade over time because of usage. So if you use the lamp everyday, its good to replace it every year. There's no way to know the quality of the LED bulbs from different brands. But personally, I use the CND lamp(as a universal lamp) because their company is pretty good with technology.

I recommend getting the new CND LED lamp.

Here's the thing with gels and LED lamps. Gels harden due to the UV output of the LEDs, not the visible blue light. Thats very important to note. The LED bulbs, however, will degrade over time because of usage. So if you use the lamp everyday, its good to replace it every year. There's no way to know the quality of the LED bulbs from different brands. But personally, I use the CND lamp(as a universal lamp) because their company is pretty good with technology.

Nope, the CND lamp is not a universal lamp, there is no such thing according to Doug Schoon, you know who he is so that information is undeniable. The CND lamp has a very narrow curing spectrum that is tuned specifically for their Shellac.

Nope, the CND lamp is not a universal lamp, there is no such thing according to Doug Schoon, you know who he is so that information is undeniable. The CND lamp has a very narrow curing spectrum that is tuned specifically for their Shellac.
Thank you all for the replys as need some light on this.
This is what I was thinking. I use the older cnd lamp and feel it's coming to an end.
Trying to do resurch for a lamp to cure in general most gel polishes as really I'm using them after the acrylic so it's not for them to stay on the natural nail like you do for a shellac manicure.

For this what lamp is best as I did want to get the new cnd buttt

Thank you all for the replys as need some light on this.
This is what I was thinking. I use the older cnd lamp and feel it's coming to an end.
Trying to do resurch for a lamp to cure in general most gel polishes as really I'm using them after the acrylic so it's not for them to stay on the natural nail like you do for a shellac manicure.

For this what lamp is best as I did want to get the new cnd buttt

It’s still the safer option to stick to the lamp that’s designed for the system of gel polish you’re using, even when the polish is applied to acrylic and not the natural nail. For example, do you buff the gel polish off the acrylic when doing a colour change? If you’ve used the incorrect lamp and the polish is under cured, yours and your clients skin is coming into contact with under cured product in the dust particles

The thing is that there's so many different brands, some with their own lamps and some with none. Techs are not going to buy buy all of the lamps. They simply cannot afford it and that's the reality for nail techs. That is why I recommend the CND lamp as a "universal lamp" because they are a safe company to fall back on.

The thing is that there's so many different brands, some with their own lamps and some with none. Techs are not going to buy buy all of the lamps. They simply cannot afford it and that's the reality for nail techs. That is why I recommend the CND lamp as a "universal lamp" because they are a safe company to fall back on.
But the CND lamp is NOT safe as a universal lamp. Shellac is a very different product to most gels on the market, which is why it wont cure most gels. The Sun UV lamp would be a better option. As Trinity mentioned, it has a very narrow curing spectrum, which makes it only ideal for Shellac. Not to mention "lampgate"

The thing is that there's so many different brands, some with their own lamps and some with none. Techs are not going to buy buy all of the lamps.

Why do Techs need to use several different brands? That’s just turning it into an expensive hobby.
Surely you only need to use 1 or 2 brands if you’re running a realistic business model that makes enough profit to be a decent income?

They are a safe company for their own brand, not others.

The question you raise is why are techs using multiple brands? I get that one brand doesn't suit all, I use 2 in my business, but two lamps whilst expensive is the correct way to run my business. If I needed to use several brands I'd be questioning why and resolve that issue.

Why do Techs need to use several different brands? That’s just turning it into an expensive hobby.
Surely you only need to use 1 or 2 brands if you’re running a realistic business model that makes enough profit to be a sensible income?

You beat me to it! :p

LED bulbs don't degrade over time. They will cure fully until they come to the end of their life (ca. 50,000 hours) and with then switch off.
Not surprised that nail techs get confused with so much misinformation being spread on SM

Not surprised that nail techs get confused with so much misinformation being spread on SM

I'm struggling with this place recently...so much misinformation given as fact when it's not true. So many people being provided with clear, factual information to protect them and their clients, then deciding to ignore it and carry on. Then telling others on here it's OK to ignore the facts.

I'm struggling with this place recently...so much misinformation given as fact when it's not true. So many people being provided with clear, factual information to protect them and their clients, then deciding to ignore it and carry on. Then telling others on here it's OK to ignore the facts.
I know exactly what you mean, Trinity. FB is even worse. And too many companies just in it to make a quick buck, shouldering none of the responsibility

Surely you only need to use 1 or 2 brands if you’re running a realistic business model that makes enough profit to be a decent income?
Massive thank you to you all for replying I'm so greatful! Really I am! Massive thank you and reading them all.
I've got a few brands as diffent company's are bringing out new ideas.
Sorry not really explaining myself.
One client I found nothing worked till I tired ibx healing gel. So again had to try a new brand as cnd and halo (what im using atm) didn't work.
I also been thinking of getting the rubber gel but this is stocked by London Inc and gelish? Again another brand.

And I know I should stick to the same but again the industry is changing so fast and so many things to try and see what works for you.
Also I can not buy a lamp for each brand..
I want to invest but can't afford that.
I got a sun brand lamp (backup) and find that gets hot after awhile. Also I've noticed the gel not staying on as well as before with the old cnd lamp. (5 finger placement)
I Want to buy the new cnd but I'm worried that won't cure the halo (yes I can use the sun lamp) but really I want to find one lamp to rule them all [emoji23]
Maybe will go back to the 5finger placement once even thou if the client isn't smart enough to figure that out its a real pain
Again thank you all

LED bulbs don't degrade over time. They will cure fully until they come to the end of their life (ca. 50,000 hours) and with then switch off.
Had my lamp for a good 5years with little use till I went self employment a year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back