When some one asks which should i have gel or acrylic what do you say?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLUSKERM

Reaction score
I was just wondering what are your selling or recomendation points for gel and acrylic, i do both but often get asked which is best. Any tips info on what to say greatly appreciated, i get alot of people saying that gel doesnt damage your nails as much, but i dont do any thing different to the natural nail for each system. What do you say?:)

firstly i would assure them that neither systems damage the natural nail, the only way to damage the natural nail is by over filing also when clients pick or rip off the enhansment it will do damage, i would look at their lifstyle and recomend the system you think will be best for them, i personally think that acrylic is stronger, though gel is more flexable!

it really depends on the client and personal preferance. Use the search tool and there are alot threads on this. Also geeg has a acrticle on it that helps a lot

Its the same thing (unless the gel is Brisa) just in a different suspension and application method.. gel does give a shiny white look but then so does acrylic... both last the same distance (as long as they are applied correctly)

and to answer the Q "gel doesnt damage your nails as much"

Thats right gel doesnt, neither does L&P, what damages your nails is a Bad tech with a heavy abrasive technique. Or clients who manually remove them their selfs.

so as to which they want (gel or L&P) its down to customer preference.

Yes i tend to sway towards acrylic , but i have a lot of requests for gel, as a lot of salons dont do it in my area ,i was wondering if there was a reason why everyone one was concentrating on acrylic, is it better for business?:confused:

Yes i tend to sway towards acrylic , but i have a lot of requests for gel, as a lot of salons dont do it in my area ,i was wondering if there was a reason why everyone one was concentrating on acrylic, is it better for business?:confused:
Sorry guys i was so slow at typing , i got replies then my reply doesnt make sense. Never mind ive only lost my mobile, broke my oven and gone over a water works ramp at 50 mile an hour with three work men looking at me in horror this week . Guess i need new tyres. My husband wonders what i think about all day lol.:confused:

I always say Gel. No primers are used to dry out the nails so its better for the nails:)

I always say Gel. No primers are used to dry out the nails so its better for the nails:)

Not all primers dry out nails... in fact that is actually the idea of PREP, to sanitise and dehydrate the nail plate so the product (gel OR acrylic) can get a good adhesion ...... this is just part of the miss-information we're talking about here.

Also just to add on, when you have prepped the nails and primed you will notice that after about 20 minutes the natural oils & shine will start to return to the surface of the nail plate. Coz it only temporarily dehydrates the nail.

I was just wondering what are your selling or recomendation points for gel and acrylic, i do both but often get asked which is best. Any tips info on what to say greatly appreciated, i get alot of people saying that gel doesnt damage your nails as much, but i dont do any thing different to the natural nail for each system. What do you say?:)
If the client doesn't have a preference, I usually look at their nails & go with what I think will be easiest for me to do on their nails. If they have a strong aversion to one though, ie acrylic wreaks your nails or gels are weak, I usually try to talk them into having the one they don't like so I can show them what it's really like.
I've heard " I've had gels, they weren't strong enough"alot, my answer to that "you haven't had my gels". Most techs in my area apply it like polish.

i am a picker and have found if i pick acrylic of my nails are softer than if i had picked gel off. or maybe i shouldnt admit to this?! :)

The gel I use has a primer called Liquid Bond, this helps the gel form a covalent bond with the nail, therefore meaning that the gel will form the strongest bond with the nail.

Nails are supposed to be temporarily dehydrated before applying product, it helps with the adhesion.

your funny crazysaf,

nice to hear someone admit it, i have done the lot bitten pulled peeled everything, when i first trained as a nail tech my nails were in a sorry state i used to put a set on then bite them off to put another set, but i know what you mean i have bitten both gel and acrylic off but they always feel worse when acrylic so thats why i think people think acrylic is the worse one, but obviously you are not supposed to bite non off, what i mean is if you look after them which ever gel/acrylic then no damage is done. i don't bite any more and i am happy to say my natural nails are long, but at the mo they are proper long red acrylic talons due to being morticia for halloween. but i will soak off manicure then overlay (no damage at all)

hey! if i have to say i would choose gel its more flexible and it doesnt damage the natural nail thats what i got told in my courses that acrylic sometimes canxx

:green:

hey! if i have to say i would choose gel its more flexible and it doesnt damage the natural nail thats what i got told in my courses that acrylic sometimes canxx

:green:

No product damages the natural nail in any way - the main causes of damage are over-filing by a poor technician and incorrect removal (forcing the product off the nail). This can happen with either gel or l+p.....

Latest posts

Back