When to apply gel polish in a luxury manicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRH

Reaction score
Do you do the cleanse, exfoliate and massage before or after you have applied gel polish?

After, too many potential 'lifting' reasons before, oil/soaps/etc. on nail plate, unless you are absolutely certain you can remove them prior to application.

I have always painted the toes at the end of the service and never had any problems. I make sure prep is really good and i give a good thorough wipe with acetone. Clients can go at least 6 weeks x

Always after because anything that is on the nail will prevent good adhesion.

With gel manicures & pedicures, most manufacturers & training recommend applying gel to the nail when dry to avoid shrinkage and lifting.
Therefore carry out your gel prep first, apply gel and THEN carry out other treatments such as soaking, exfoliation, heated mask, hard skin removal etc afterwards. Your overall time will be the same so no issue there.

Of course there will be that client who changes their mind at the end of the service and wants gel rather than normal polish! :rolleyes: In this scenario, finish off everything that involves creams and then double scrub the nail with Scrubfresh or similar, to remove all oils from the surface before application.

I think there is a difference in manicures and pedicures on this point. Because toenails are thicker and more resistant, they do not absorb moisture the way fingernails do and shrinkage is not as big an issue. They are also not subject to the abuse that fingernails are subject to. Feet often need considerably more cleaning and exfoliation than hands. In my experience, you can do a lot of soaking, cleansing, exfoliating of feet before applying gel polish without impacting wear. I would not do that on hands.

Latest posts

Back