when to officially start business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditzy

Reaction score
I currently work full time as a civil servant. I'm a qualified make up artist, nail tech. I'm planning on starting a mobile nails/beauty business soon, but want some more training nailwise.

My question to you is, should I start my business before doing the training, will I then be allowed to offset the training against my tax for the business, or should I get the training before starting the business? I would only do the services I'm comfortable with until I'd done further training for the other stuff (just out of practise really!)

Thanks people:hug:

I don't know the ins and outs of the Inland Revenue.....but I would have thought you would have to be qualified in your treatments before you could go self-employed, otherwise you would be going self-employed for what? Not qualified in anything.... don't think they would wear it.

It makes no difference as far as claiming back from the tax man, you can put your receipts through for the last 18 months or longer for training and supplies

I don't know the ins and outs of the Inland Revenue.....but I would have thought you would have to be qualified in your treatments before you could go self-employed, otherwise you would be going self-employed for what? Not qualified in anything.... don't think they would wear it.

As I said, I'm a qualified make up artist and nail tech. the nail stuff I just feel that I would like to brush up on. I have qualifications all over my wall including make up in several different fields, body painting, nail treatments, uv gel and fibreglass nails, and liquid and powder. I was simply asking about further training and wether to do the further training before or after starting the business, as also stated I would not do anything to anyone if I had not been trained in it.

I really can't help with the tax question, because we're in different countries, but I think you should go for it. I'm in a simillar situation to you. I'm hoping to open my salon by christmas, but I won't be fully qualified then. I will only do the treatments I am qualified to do. I'm taking the chance to see if this works (it's only massage and advanced facial treatments that I wont be doing anyway), so my advice to you is to have a go at this.

As I said, I'm a qualified make up artist and nail tech. the nail stuff I just feel that I would like to brush up on. I have qualifications all over my wall including make up in several different fields, body painting, nail treatments, uv gel and fibreglass nails, and liquid and powder. I was simply asking about further training and wether to do the further training before or after starting the business, as also stated I would not do anything to anyone if I had not been trained in it.
Sorry hun, I misunderstood the original post :hug:

As far as I am aware you can only claim for training that is enhancing a qualification you have already got. So if you were qualified in L&P with Creative and wanted to carry on to become a master then yes you can put the training through your books. However if you want to add a completely new service to your treatment list then you cannot put this through. HTH.

As far as I am aware you can only claim for training that is enhancing a qualification you have already got. So if you were qualified in L&P with Creative and wanted to carry on to become a master then yes you can put the training through your books. However if you want to add a completely new service to your treatment list then you cannot put this through. HTH.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. So, how would it work with the fact that I'm not so happy with my nail extensions, the traning was from a local training centre and an NSI conversion (I'm not slating the education I received, actually they were quite good). I'm planning on doing the creative foundation course as I feel that I've forgotten some of the background stuff I learned, and feel that I want to be the best I can be, for which the creative foundation sounds very good. I could then work my way through the Creative courses in time.

So as far as the taxman would be concerned, at the moment I would be re-learning a level which I've already achieved!

How do I stand in that situation? Surely the taxman isn't going to be aware of Creative's high standing in the field?

I currently work full time as a civil servant. I'm a qualified make up artist, nail tech. I'm planning on starting a mobile nails/beauty business soon, but want some more training nailwise.

My question to you is, should I start my business before doing the training, will I then be allowed to offset the training against my tax for the business, or should I get the training before starting the business? I would only do the services I'm comfortable with until I'd done further training for the other stuff (just out of practise really!)

Thanks people:hug:

When I spoke to the tax office they told me that you couldn't register as self employed until the day that you take your first payment! I had phoned them to register the day before but I had to call back the next day.:lol:

hth

I'm in Aus too like Alpina..........and I am off-setting my business which I started here July 1 (the New financial year) against what I earn in my other Part-time job (for the tax I am paying) till I make a profit.............Here we can Claim everything from what we buy for the business to any Courses or Certificates earned that we pay for and have receipts for that are in direct relation to the career we have chosen....Go Girl............BrandiBam xxxx

So as far as the taxman would be concerned, at the moment I would be re-learning a level which I've already achieved!

How do I stand in that situation? Surely the taxman isn't going to be aware of Creative's high standing in the field?

No that is fine you could claim for this as you are only enhancing a skill you already have a qualification for. Get it on that tax return girl!

gee, thanks everyone for the encouragement and replies. You really are a wonderful bunch!

Special thanks to Joe90 for the specific answers! A mine of information:green:

Luv to all:hug:

Latest posts

Back